VOGONS

What is the best General MIDI synth for DOS games?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 121 of 130, by fooziex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wocko1 wrote:

Here's Descent Level 1 played on my SC-55mkII

Haha, I can see why people don't like it! While I'm still a bit new to this General MIDI gaming stuff, I think you'll be pleased with the MU80. While I'd like to get a Sound Canvas, I'm also interested in getting other brands of General MIDI modules. I read somewhere else about someone trying a KORG module for games, and I'm sure there are others to try.

Reply 122 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did hear with the Korg NS5R you can whack Waveblaster daughter cards in it so you can have multiple synths in one. Like put a Roland SCC-55 in a NS5R, *BOOM* instant sound canvas! The Korg NX5R is the same as an NS5R but has a Yamaha DB50XG pre installed. You can still swap it out though.

BTW, since you're from the US, if y'all do get an NS5R or NX5R, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE TOP OFF IT, and make sure the voltage plugs are plugged into the 120V sockets and not the 240V sockets, since the power supply is built in. It's a good thing that you can just simply swap the plugs to change voltage. I did hear someone bought an NS5R to use it in a 240V country and blew the guts out of it because he left the plugs in the 120V socket.

Reply 123 of 130, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fooziex wrote:
wocko1 wrote:

Here's Descent Level 1 played on my SC-55mkII

Haha, I can see why people don't like it! While I'm still a bit new to this General MIDI gaming stuff, I think you'll be pleased with the MU80. While I'd like to get a Sound Canvas, I'm also interested in getting other brands of General MIDI modules. I read somewhere else about someone trying a KORG module for games, and I'm sure there are others to try.

Both are good IMO. Not actually sure which one I prefer - a combination of the two would be good! 😁

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 124 of 130, by fooziex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wocko1 wrote:

I did hear with the Korg NS5R you can whack Waveblaster daughter cards in it so you can have multiple synths in one. Like put a Roland SCC-55 in a NS5R, *BOOM* instant sound canvas! The Korg NX5R is the same as an NS5R but has a Yamaha DB50XG pre installed. You can still swap it out though.

BTW, since you're from the US, if y'all do get an NS5R or NX5R, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE TOP OFF IT, and make sure the voltage plugs are plugged into the 120V sockets and not the 240V sockets, since the power supply is built in. It's a good thing that you can just simply swap the plugs to change voltage. I did hear someone bought an NS5R to use it in a 240V country and blew the guts out of it because he left the plugs in the 120V socket.

Wow, I must say that sounds very interesting. I'll have to add that near the top of my list of gear I'd like to buy. Also, rfnagel, I haven't forgotten you, I've just been a bit busy. I'll see if I can't get a MIDI of the MU80 demo music recorded sometime soon.

Reply 125 of 130, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fooziex wrote:

Also, rfnagel, I haven't forgotten you, I've just been a bit busy. I'll see if I can't get a MIDI of the MU80 demo music recorded sometime soon.

No problemo 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 126 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😉 By the way I meant an SCB-55, not an SCC-55.

But if you do already get the Korg NS5R/NX5R, I would recommend whacking an SCB-55 in it, since you already have a perfectly good MU-80, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a DB50XG. Plus most of the General MIDI capable games were designed for a Sound Canvas. Wave Blaster 2's are apparently complete shithouse, and WB1s have no reverb or any other advanced MIDI functions.

Oh and the MU-80 arrived today, and works like a little beaut and I'm quite amazed on how Descent sounds, as well as trying out some XG MIDI files, even though the MU-80 gets a little warm, more than my MT-32/CM-32L/SC-55mkII. Probably would be those bloody hot Australian summers. (40C/102F) 😁

Reply 127 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO Descent sounds really good on an AWE32/AWE64. Who knows which midi synth they used to optimize the music...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 128 of 130, by fooziex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wocko1 wrote:

😉 By the way I meant an SCB-55, not an SCC-55.

But if you do already get the Korg NS5R/NX5R, I would recommend whacking an SCB-55 in it, since you already have a perfectly good MU-80, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a DB50XG. Plus most of the General MIDI capable games were designed for a Sound Canvas. Wave Blaster 2's are apparently complete shithouse, and WB1s have no reverb or any other advanced MIDI functions.

Oh and the MU-80 arrived today, and works like a little beaut and I'm quite amazed on how Descent sounds, as well as trying out some XG MIDI files, even though the MU-80 gets a little warm, more than my MT-32/CM-32L/SC-55mkII. Probably would be those bloody hot Australian summers. (40C/102F) 😁

Glad to hear you're pleased with your MU80. If I do get the KORG N*5R, while I'd like to get a DB50XG and SCB-55 for completion's sake, I'm actually more interested in trying the much-maligned Waveblaster boards (along with any other obscure daughterboards I might be able to find). I know they're probably not going to yield optimal sound quality, but I'm interested in hearing how they sound for myself anyways.

Edit: Found the thread I was reading earlier about KORG GM modules: http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,1839.0.html
Edit 2: Found a nice (Japanese, though) list of what looks like different daughterboards (from here). http://wavetable.web.fc2.com/

Reply 129 of 130, by fooziex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rfnagel wrote:
fooziex wrote:

Also, rfnagel, I haven't forgotten you, I've just been a bit busy. I'll see if I can't get a MIDI of the MU80 demo music recorded sometime soon.

No problemo 😀

So far, I've had no luck. It doesn't send any MIDI data while playing the Demo track. If anyone has any tips as to how to get it copied, I'll give it another try.

Reply 130 of 130, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fooziex wrote:

So far, I've had no luck. It doesn't send any MIDI data while playing the Demo track. If anyone has any tips as to how to get it copied, I'll give it another try.

That's strange. Although, I've heard of other MIDI modules that the only way to save the demo song was to dump the ROM (which I'm sure wouldn't be an option for you).

Thanks for trying to save it for me though 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net