VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zardoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After getting Glidos I was about 1/2 way through TR 1 when I realized I had alot of Tomb Raider I still hadn't seen. I've played SOME of 4,5 and a little of 6. So I got the crazy idea to blast my way through the whole TR series including add-ons and secret levels. If you've collected the entire series (including Unfinished Business,Golden Mask,Lost Artifact,The Times) and unlock the secret levels (Vegas and Hallow's) it's quite a bit of ground to cover. As I write this I've made it to The Deck in TR2. Any other lunatic TR fans out there tried this?

Reply 3 of 15, by Zardoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, nice screenshot, I love the sky in that level. If you get all the secrets in Golden Mask (gold skull,coins and bar-3 in each level for a total of 12) it unlocks the secret Nightmare in Vegas level. Here's my little breakdown of the Tomb Raider series.

1. TR1 and UB - still the best story in the series. The 1st time I got to St. Francis Folly (back when TR 1 was new) it blew my mind.

2. TR2 and Golden Mask - I'm always tempted to call this the best game over all in the series. Pretty decent story, lots of drama and the add on makes a big game HUGE.

3. TR3 and Lost Artifact - Probably the best looking levels. I really like the secret areas as opposed to items. The ending was kinda sudden though, the add on makes it feel more like a complete game.

4. TR4 and The Times - My least favorite in the series. It starts out well enough but about half way through I start getting sick of Egypt. Also some damn frustrating puzzles later on. Never been able to make myself finish it.

5. TR5 Chronicles - Pretty good but I hate loseing my weapons at the start of each story. Then there's the Little Lara chapter with no weapons for the ENTIRE episode, ugh!

6. TR6 Angel of Darkness - I quit playing this just as the occult storyline was getting interesting. I want to finish TR4 And TR5 first since Werner Von Croy's name is coming up again in this one. Seems TR4, 5 and 6 are an ongoing Von Croy saga.

So that's my take on the series, I'm at the Barkhang Monastery now (didn't piss off the monks this time) ONWARD! 😁

Reply 5 of 15, by Zardoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey . . I wanna do cool screenshots too. I've tried pushing the s key, the comma key, the Print Screen key etc. Nothing seems to be getting saved to the clipboard or the Tomb Raider 2 directory. Any ideas? I realize this is not a Glidos issue (especially since I'm on Nightmare in Vegas - Tomb Raider 2). Just hangin' with TR fans. Btw Abysmal, your right, The Times isn't really an official add on. From what I read it was a joint effort of Eidos and The London Times (?). I guess since it's Eidos but no mention of Core I'll consider it a semi-official add on 😁. The TR series World Tour continues . . . . .onward!

Reply 6 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using SnagIt, a great screenshot program. It works perfect with every DirectX-compliant application, Glidos included.

The Times was just a (rarely distributed) promotional demo level for TR4.

Reply 7 of 15, by Zardoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks man, SnagIt rocks! I don't seem to be able to post a screenshot though. I tried to attach a 800 x 600 16bit shot by attaching it as a bmp file to this post reply but it won't go for it. Is it too many bytes (1.37mb)? If it is how do you post a decent looking screenshot? 640 x 480 in 256 color probably would't look all that hot 😀

Reply 8 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since not everyone has a broadband connection and thus can't afford unacceptable loading times, it's better resizing the screenshot to a user-friendly format. Personally, I always resize them in 640x480x32 (true color) and save them in JPEG (compression 85%) when I'm to post them on a public forum. Don't forget to use Bilinear resampling, not Bicubic resampling. As you can see above, the screenshot remains pretty good.

Or you could simply make a download link to your BMP pic 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kaminari wrote:

Don't forget to use Bilinear resampling, not Bicubic resampling. As you can see above, the screenshot remains pretty good.

*blink* what? bilinear uses two points of sampling, bicubic uses three.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vegas looks like a groovy place, baby!

Snover, I'm refering to the resampling features in Paintshop Pro and Photoshop. The best results are achieved by using bilinear to resize pictures down, bicubic to resize pictures up. Smart resampling just sucks 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by Zardoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh heh, I've never played with Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. I just took the shot with the game at 640 x 480 and the anti-aliasing cranked.😁

Attachments

• temple ruins.jpg
    Filename
    temple ruins.jpg
    File size
    205.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 15, by Zardoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still tearin' along. I've been slowed down a bit since Golden Mask by the need to get every secret. I've finished India and Nevada on TR3 and just made it to Aldwych in London. I'm still a little emotionally scarred from my 1st time through Aldwych. At the time I refused any hints on my 1st run through a TR game (TR4 broke me). I was stuck in Aldwych for several days (literally). It's been really cool watching the over all progression of the series from TR1. The music in TR3 is truly beautiful. Onward . . .

Reply 15 of 15, by Guest

User metadata

Really funny that I just saw this post. As I had done the exact same thing, and have just completed Angel of Darkness tonight! Started about 2-3 months ago. All my life, Tomb Raider 1 had been the only tomb raider I had ever completed, yet I bought the whole series.

I played through the Gold addons as well, except for The Lost Artifact, TR3's Gold pack. I've just bought it off Ebay and hopefully I'll get to play it next week.

Here's a few notes about my Tomb Raider marathon:

*I played Tomb Raider 1 on the PlayStation, despite owning the PC version. This was before I had Glidos and so it was my only option. Was nice hearing all the music though! In fact, it was buying this second hand playstation copy that caused me to start my marathon.

*I admit that for both Tomb Raider 2 Gold and Tomb Raider 3, I downloaded gamesaves to play through the bonus levels because hell if I was gonna go hunting every secret!

*As you guessed from above, getting all secrets wasn't my priority though I picked up what I found.

*Haven't played TR3 Gold yet, but its been ordered!

*Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation was surprisingly REALLY good in my opinion. Extreme Tomb Raider stuff with an epic feel to it. Great atmosphere. This was the one that probably took up most of my time as it was the most complicated. Well worth it though!

*Chronicles was EXTREMELY short in comparison to all the others. Especially when playing it right after Last Revelation. Though admittedly, after such a long hard time in LR, this one was like an enjoyable teabreak.

*Angel of Darkness, I really enjoyed. Very movie-like and good atmosphere, just a pity about the controls. Felt a bit rushed in the last few levels, but it had a nice long boss fight with good music that was a nice ending to the whole marathon.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Zardoz!

~Dug