VOGONS

First post, by olddosgames99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first Thexder game has something that prevents me from running the game. After installing the game, it asks what drive to run the game on. I type C like I should and it sits on the same screen like it thinks the files aren't on the game.

Reply 2 of 12, by olddosgames99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After putting in the disk (original release 1987 3.5 floppy disk), it just freezes on me. It's not a bad disk like disk 3 that I have of Codename Iceman as all the files show up and I can install it.

Reply 4 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

leileilol has it. Thexder uses the old Sierra CPC copy protection. It won't work with in the NT kernel. You can try looking for the old "Sierra Unprotect" program.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 12, by olddosgames99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use DOSBox. I also have Thexder 2, which works just fine, but that game came out a bit later and used the book for copy protection. My copy of Thexder 1 has 1 3.5 floppy and 2 5.25 floppies and complete in box. It is the original 1987 release before Sierra put the mountain on their disks, which was in late 1987/early 1988 I believe.

Reply 6 of 12, by olddosgames99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I attempted to use the SUP program and it doesn't seem to detect the disk. It may be that DOSBox isn't running right with floppies. I just mount the A drive by mount a:\ -t floppy. I have this problem too when multi-disk games are installed. The installer would copy the first disk, but won't detect any other disk even though I can still copy the files from the disk to the hard drive without a problem.

Reply 7 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a program called "nokey" that came with CopyIIPC from Central Point Software. It should work in a real machine, but in DOSBox, it may or may not. You can find it here:
http://retro.icequake.net/dob/

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 8 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olddosgames99 wrote:

I use DOSBox.

Then shouldn't you be posting this in the DOSBox forum instead of in "DOS" ..? It does sound like a DOSBox problem. (Don't bother reposting it; a moderator will probably move it if necessary.)

Specifically, if I'm not mistaken it is necessary to press CTRL-F4 after you swap disks in order for DOSBox to recognize the new floppy.

Reply 10 of 12, by olddosgames99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I attempted to use CopyIIPC. The CopyIIPC program itself works. When I attempt to start Thexder I still get to the copy protection screen. When I use the C drive, DOSBox freezes like it did when I attempted to run it from the floppy disk. I may be using nokey wrong. I just typed it and it said that the installation was complete. Where it might have went, I don't know.