VOGONS

Right-Shift / Backslash Keyboard Problems (SOLVED!)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 43, by yhe1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the driver, and uninstall the 109 driver and it worked. However, the 109 come back after I rebooted the computer.

Changing this driver may also have affected my internet connection, as my wireless is turned on by touch the icons above the keyboard.

If the next build of Dosbox can work correctly with the 109 drivers, it would be great.

Reply 22 of 43, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBox can't fix the problem. To quote wd in this thread

Right, that's pretty much the only solution. We're using SDL thus only
indirectly the directinput interface, and those special keyboard drivers
screw up the scancodes for unknown reason.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 26 of 43, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmmm... my new Asus G60VX (new as in from December) had this exact same problem in DOSBox (and funnily enough it encounters the same issues in Linux and OS X). Changing the keyboard driver for the MCIR 109 device to a generic HID complaint device did the trick however. Thanks for the good tip! I've been on a bit of a DOSBox hiatus ever since getting the new laptop, so it was good to be able to find a quick solution to this problem via the always reliable DOSBox forums.

Reply 28 of 43, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New gaming laptop (old one) MSI GX660-262it, same problems for keys \, <, ^ , +, à, ù, right SHIFT etc. (Italian keyboard) not working.
The default keyboard 'Standard PS/2 keyboard' set by Windows was WRONG. Changing it to 'Standard PS/2 101/102 keys' fixed the problem and DOSBox, Oblivion console etc. do work fine again.

Last edited by rolloLG on 2016-01-20, 12:04. Edited 9 times in total.

Reply 29 of 43, by Hobgoblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this exact problem with an ASUS Aspire 5793G, I fixed it by installing the HID drivers instead of the 109 drivers, BUT:

Now, a number of devices popped up under the "Human Interface Devices" tab, called (HID-compliant device), and under "Keyboards", where I had (I think), these same devices (or at least some of them, under different names), I now have "Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard", "Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys" and "Standard PS/2 Keyboard".

If I disable "Winbond CIR Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" tab, all I'm left with is "Standard PS/2 Keyboard".

... and here's the kicker:

I did this fix to try playing Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Hexen: Beyond Heretic. The keyboard issue wasn't a big deal until I tried installing Hexen from a CD (the installer batch took / as a modifier, so I couldn't use it instead of \), so I tried this fix and everything is well, except now DOSBOX can't manage Heretic nor Hexen. The new drivers actually makes the games perform horribly. We're talking single digit frames per second. Before I installed the new keyboard drivers Heretic ran perfectly.

I just tried Interpose, an old shooter, and it also has performance issues (running in DOSBOX)! This ran perfectly before I installed the new keyboard drivers. Now, it stutters heavily whenever certain amounts of sprites are rendered. It seems to be a pretty specific number, runs perfectly up until "x" number of sprites, when "x" number of sprites are hit, it starts to chug at something like 1-3 FPS.

Is this insane, or what?

EDIT: I got it running smoothly. Turns out I just have to set the cycles up to about 3 times what I ran before. It's still very strange.

Reply 31 of 43, by Sturmmantel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Odair wrote:

I solved the problem with the same action of apsumusician, uninstalling all of 109 key keyboard driver in device manager and ir devices, and worked perfectly. Thanks all, specially apsumusician. best regards.

Where did you find the driver?
I can't find a 109 key keyboard driver ...

Reply 32 of 43, by NetPCDoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My apologies for this late addition to this post, but ...

Re: Sturnmantel > 2013-7-26 @ 19:02
I find these under Keyboards (in device manager or in the control panel).
And they seem to be sub-ordinate to the "Human Interface Devices" Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.
(and in my case it would appear the problem causer is the "Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard" driver - Media Center IR 109?)

While the given solution is an adequate workaround - it is not a true fix; as - in my case - Windows Vista manages just fine with this driver installed ...
... there has to be a way to get the local physical keyboard's key-strokes without confusing them with a probably non-existant remote/IR keyboard's input?
... seperate keyboardlayout definitions for the local physical keyboard and for the possibility of a MCIR 109 Keyboard? (rather than a combined definition?)
(While I don't have the required tools to confirm - this is beginning to sound like a bug to me ... does such qualify as a bug to the DOSBox developers?)
... a way for the keyboardlayout to distinquish between multiple keyboard drivers, and select the particular proper-keyboard-driver currently in use!

Being an extremely new user of the DOSBox program - I do not (yet!) know how to customize a keyboardlayout (or even how to implement such) for DOSBox?

Reply 33 of 43, by Zaqu75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need your help!
Who knows, and is able tell me what is the appropriate setting (for the finished version of the binary DosBox) in "mapperXXX.map" file to ensure proper operation "NumLock" and "CapsLock" keys and eliminate the undesirable effect of having to double-pressing these keys?

Reply 34 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

not doable with the mapper. The double pressing is a bug/incompatibility of 0.74 with certain versions of windows.
Get a SVN build if you want it fixed

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 35 of 43, by Zaqu75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

not doable with the mapper. The double pressing is a bug/incompatibility of 0.74 with certain versions of windows.
Get a SVN build if you want it fixed

My comment refer to newest DosBox SVN version (dated 2015-12-10).
I know, that 0.74 version has similiar "double pressing" bug/incompatibility too.

It's strange, but at the same time for vDos version the Caps Lock key is working properly!
I tested it comprehensively and repeatedly ...

Reply 37 of 43, by Zaqu75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Weird, I am pretty sure that I fixed it. So which version of windows are you using ? Try swapping the sdl.dll with the one from 0.74

I use Windows 7 Professional 32-bits.
I tried swapping sdl.dll version with the one from DosBox 0.74 - but the result was even worse.
After changing the file, the Caps Lock key required up to 4-fold push to achieve the desired effect.

Reply 38 of 43, by ssybesma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

was wondering if anyone who used the delete method to reset the mapping of the backslash key found the remapped key simply appended the backslash after the right bracket (two characters for one keypress) instead of replacing it...this happens on my IOGear Bluetooth keyboard

Reply 39 of 43, by KyleK87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I was using dosbox 0.74 on a windows 7 64 bit PC and it ran fine I changed the aspect ratio etc in the config file never had an issue with the keyboard until I recently upgraded to windows 10. Now I get ] instead of back slash and I can't get ` or ~ to work or + and the right shift does nothing. I've tried forcing different keyboard languages, I've tried running dosbox by changing the sdl and pretty much everything I've come across and even changed my keyboard to the HID-compliant to no avail. I also tried testing dosbox svn and dosbox 0.74-3 all the same results. I really don't want to have to go back to windows 7 just because of this odd bug 😒 Could anyone possibly help or shed some light? Thanks for your time! I tried changing the driver around etc