VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I thought it might be worthwhile to offer book recommendations, after being referred to...

Upgrading and Repairing PC's by Scott Mueller.

I have several recommendations....and also some Ive recently uncovered and will be acquiring for reference and reading.

The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage by Clifford Stoll 1989

This book deals with the story of tracking down and arresting an early Hacker Spy in the 80s. Well written, and very enjoyable.

The Hacker Crackdown: : Law And Disorder On The Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling 1992

Lots of great stuff in this one. Including the raid on Steve Jackson Games, and the prosecution of Kevin Mitnick.

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Stephen Levy 1984

Early work on computer/technology culture. Dare I say it, A Classic.

[The Second Self:] Computers and the Human Spirit by Sherry Turkle 1984

Turkle's later works are worth checking out as well.

The Age of Intelligent Machines by Ray Kurtzweil 1992

Same as with Turkle. The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence 2001 and The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology 2006 are worth your time.

The Anandtech Guide to PC Gaming Hardware 2001

Another QUE reference like the Scott Mueller books, but it looks like it was only put out for that one year 2001.

The Book of Games Volume 1: The Ultimate Guide to PC and Video Games 2006

Building the Ultimate Game PC by Loyd Case 1999

Reply 3 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gunship 2000: The Official Strategy Guide by Bob Guerra (Prima Publishing). It is a very enjoyable strategy guide, with four Gunship 2000 After-Action Reports included.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 8, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Inside Intel

This book is about the birth of Intel, its enigmatic leadership, and its running battles with AMD. Its perhaps suprisingly engrossing.

Masters of Doom

This book covers the development and release of Commander Keen and Doom, the bust up which made John Romero leave, and the story of Daikatana.

Does anyone have any good books about Microsoft?

Reply 5 of 8, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Googled - The End of the World as We Know It by Ken Auletta

I read the book in three huge gulps and learned a lot — about Google’s “cold war” with Facebook, about Google’s tussles with Viacom, about Google’s role in the “Yahoo-Microsoft melee” and about Google’s gradual estrangement from its former ally, Apple.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/books/review/Baker-t.html

Reply 6 of 8, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks emote, Ill check out those 2 books.

The History section of this list is interesting...

List of books about video games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_about_video_games

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless you need a reference guide for building an old computer or want to delve into historical context, I question the utility of books on technology more than a few years old. (And in the case of the former, you're likely to find much better information online.)

Reply 8 of 8, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cant argue with that.

Of course, people on VOGONs, seem to be interested in building old computers and historical aspects of computer technology, video games, OS's, and companies.