VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do I need a COA, Key, Boot Disk, as well as Full Install Disks?

How can I tell if the COA or Key has been used?

Tips and purchasing advice requested.

Reply 1 of 24, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For DOS, I would get either version 6.2 or 6.22. They come on three 3.5" floppy disks. You don't need any key, etc. Try ebay, you can still buy the originals. Also, you might like to consider searching for an advert selling both DOS and Windows 3.11. Sometimes they come together, and might prove to be an interesting purchase.

For Windows 98, I would get Windows 98 SE. It comes on a CD-ROM, and you must have a key for its installation. However, it does not need to be new. It can be used, and the key will be OK because there is no online activation.

For boot disks, you can get them from here. I think the DOS installation disks can be used without an FDISK'd drive. I think it can do the FDISK and FORMAT for you. You insert disk #1 in to the drive, and reboot. It then prepares your HDD for you. However with Windows 98, you'll need a boot disk, so that your CD-ROM drive is recognised, as well as allowing you to FDISK and FORMAT your HDD.

Reply 2 of 24, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

However with Windows 98, you'll need a boot disk, so that your CD-ROM drive is recognised, as well as allowing you to FDISK and FORMAT your HDD.

You may also boot from the CD-ROM, no disk required.

Reply 3 of 24, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

However with Windows 98, you'll need a boot disk, so that your CD-ROM drive is recognised, as well as allowing you to FDISK and FORMAT your HDD.

You may also boot from the CD-ROM, no disk required.

OK, thanks for the info. Just one point, however. If the mobo's BIOS does not allow you to boot from CD-ROM, then you must boot from an A: boot disk.

Reply 4 of 24, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a bunch.

So I dont need to worry about anything but getting the disks with MS DOS.

And any Windows 98SE Full Install (not upgrade) with a Key will work, because there is no online activation.

The COA is the Key, correct?

Reply 5 of 24, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes to all points, and about Win98's COA, the installation key code is printed on the front of the "Getting started" manual. You must have this manual. This installation code is called a product key, and it appears above the wording "Certificate of Authenticity" on the front of this manual. Also on the front of the manual, it says "For distribution with a new PC only". I would look out for this, as it ensures that it's not an upgrade CD-ROM.

Reply 7 of 24, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to make sure, it doesnt matter if the Key has been used before with regards to Windows 98, because there is no online activation anymore. So a new sealed version is not required.

Reply 8 of 24, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EscapeVelocity wrote:

Just to make sure, it doesnt matter if the Key has been used before with regards to Windows 98, because there is no online activation anymore. So a new sealed version is not required.

100% correct. You can buy an opened unsealed and used copy. It will install absolutely fine, and work without any issues.

Reply 9 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It shouldn't be too hard to get such an old Windows, basically any key will work (provided you separate oem from retail).
Sometimes there are w98 stickers on the side of a case. I got several of those, those keys might also work, but will typically only work with the oem version of 98, not the retail one.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 24, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not all 98SE discs are bootable
as for DOS... DOS 6.22 is better than DOS 6.2... only real difference is drivespace compression.... in case you ever need it 😉
if you want something newer, get PC-DOS 2000... it is available on CD and is bootable.... works a bit differently than MS-DOS, but not totally off the deep end like freedos

all of these should be cheap off ebay

Reply 11 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

as for DOS... DOS 6.22 is better than DOS 6.2... only real difference is drivespace compression.... in case you ever need it 😉

Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

retro games 100 wrote:

For DOS, I would get either version 6.2 or 6.22. They come on three 3.5" floppy disks. You don't need any key, etc. Try ebay, you can still buy the originals.

If I'm not mistaken, any version from MS-DOS 6 to MS-DOS 6.21 can be upgraded, legally, to 6.22, though I suppose it is more convenient to not have to bother with that extra step.

I'm still not convinced it's inherently superior to the various other more up-to-date flavors of DOS out there, or even if it's really needed when one has the Win9x MS-DOS mode.

Reply 12 of 24, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So you really dont even need the Key, as long as you have a valid Key from somewhere, anywhere, floating around.

Is a retail version of Win 98SE superior to getting an OEM version or vice versa?

Reply 14 of 24, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the help.

Ill just keep asking questions.

What about this Win98 Lite, Ive been hearing about? Is that something I should think about doing?

Do games for Win 95 have trouble playing in Win 98?

Is the DOS implementation of Win 95 superior to Win 98?

Are there such a thing as games that require Windows 3.1 to play?

Reply 15 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EscapeVelocity wrote:

Ill just keep asking questions.

Y'know, it's not necessarily a bad idea to try to find some of these things out yourself, if you haven't tried.

What about this Win98 Lite, Ive been hearing about? Is that something I should think about doing?

If you want to use it legally, you'll ideally need both a legitimate copy of the original release of Windows 95 and the $25 program from http://www.litepc.com/ . It's slightly overkill in my opinion, but if you're determined to get the absolute-fastest Win98 installation for some reason, that's the way to go.

Do games for Win 95 have trouble playing in Win 98?

I suppose it's possible, but that's pretty unlikely. (I noticed the other day that Windows 98 SE does not explicitly include the WinG DLLs, but they can still be installed manually.)

Is the DOS implementation of Win 95 superior to Win 98?

Probably not.

Reply 16 of 24, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OEM and Retail Win98SE are identical pretty much by now since there's no support provided for either anymore.

I don't recall there being a full retail version of 98SE... there were "upgrade" versions (which, IIRC, could be used for clean installs with some simple trick), but all the official full versions I've ever seen have been the OEM "for distribution with a new PC only" types.

Reply 17 of 24, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Y'know, it's not necessarily a bad idea to try to find some of these things out yourself, if you haven't tried." - Jorpo

Ive been doing lots of research. I dont have a stockpile of hardware and software, so I am trying to make good decisions, even if the cost of some otf this stuff is 10 cents on the dollar, it all adds up.

I guess I dont really need 98Lite. Thanks for the information.

Reply 18 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
TheMAN wrote:

Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

No, technically since DOS 6.22 has a program that's almost completely useless which DOS 6.2 doesn't, even the fact that 6.22 has a program that is of minuscule importance, DOS 6.22 is, in fact better.
Pure logic, dear Watson ;D

Am I right, or am I right 😁

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

OEM and Retail Win98SE are identical pretty much by now since there's no support provided for either anymore.

I don't recall there being a full retail version of 98SE... there were "upgrade" versions (which, IIRC, could be used for clean installs with some simple trick), but all the official full versions I've ever seen have been the OEM "for distribution with a new PC only" types.

There is a retail full version of 98SE, I got an English version of that.

Only differences in 98SE setup disks 'may' be that some disks are bootable, and some are not?

I never bothered with 98lite, since it costs money.
Personally I'd prefer to use one of the unofficial service packs 😀
You could also do some tweaking on your own, but my experience is mostly limited for tweaking ME. For 98SE I just install the SP and be done with it.

EscapeVelocity wrote:

So you really dont even need the Key, as long as you have a valid Key from somewhere, anywhere, floating around.

Is a retail version of Win 98SE superior to getting an OEM version or vice versa?

As long as you have a key for your particular setup disk that is accepted, you "can" complete the setup process.
My guess is that oem versions are much more common and thus easier to find (and thus faster + cheaper to get 😉 )

If you're looking for more info on 9x and maybe download some 3rd party software, I'd suggest you take a look here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-959898seme/

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!