VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by crocodilepeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello!
can you help me?
playing Blood on my C2D under DOS 7.1, it runs perfect but I have no sound.. is there a sound card that will work ? I'm about to play old 3D games only.
pc:
p5e ws pro http://www.xpcgear.com/p5ewspro.html
-10gb fat16 HD

thanks ! =pk

Reply 1 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers... , there is simply no way you will get any kind of DOS legacy support from a PCI Sound Blaster card on that board.

Reply 3 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crocodilepeter wrote:

OK! I just ordered the Microstar MS-6153 hoping the onboard ES1373 is good for DOS soft-3d gaming 😀

Have you been able to find DOS drivers for the ES1373..?

Reply 4 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a computer like that i'd just give up and throw DOSBox on there if I seriously want to use that computer to venture into DOS games. Trying to game natively in pure DOS on a modern post-2002 computer is a waste of time, and if it's speed you're dying for, load up an old no-pulse-audio-crap distro of linux ia32, dosemu, and get going at Blood on 1280x1024 with sound

Reply 5 of 31, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a quick Google search, and I heard that a PCI sound card in the Yamaha YMF-7xx series might just suit your needs. You'll probably want to read this link for more info. http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=3041.0

Reply 7 of 31, by crocodilepeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm... so do i need pure dos for these games? maybe i should try installing some old windows..

I'll experiment and will let you know how it goes .....

this integrated sound chip is soundblaster and ac97 compatible.. I'll get some ISA card if necessary.

I don't like dosbox (it's fine for really old .,..) and all the other emulators.. except amiga emulator which is better than the real amiga.. I have 26 emulators installed but somehow prefer the real retro-ware which I'm going to get 😉 today i'm playing atari 65xe and my modern pc serves as a floppy drive 😀

Reply 8 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you prefer the real thing then I strongly suggest building a new machine made of relevant parts that are known to work with pure DOS and Win9x (i.e. not core2duo). Since you're shooting for the 3d ones, a Pentium II 333 wouldn't be a bad choice. The K6-2 line is also flexible enough

Reply 9 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crocodilepeter wrote:

this integrated sound chip is soundblaster and ac97 compatible..

That does not matter in the slightest if you can't find proper DOS drivers. (There are some motherboards that have DOS drivers for their AC97 support, but they're pretty old.)

Reply 11 of 31, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In short you want ISA slots for DOS games. For 3D and SVGA games I highly recommend a Pentium 3 system. Slot 1 or S370 are easy to find and many boards have ISA slots.

A fast P3 is awesome for SVGA!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 31, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this is one of those situations where some sort of a software-based SoundBlaster emulation driver would come in really handy. I think the way it would work, is that it would do the SoundBlaster emulation (possibly based on DosBox's?) on the CPU, and it would use the universal AC97 driver from MPXPlay to output the audio, so that you could essentially have SoundBlaster compatibility on any machine with a modern soundcard.

Reply 13 of 31, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's called VDMSound.
Of course it requires you to install the windows NT family

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I think this is one of those situations where some sort of a software-based SoundBlaster emulation driver would come in really handy. I think the way it would work, is that it would do the SoundBlaster emulation (possibly based on DosBox's?) on the CPU, and it would use the universal AC97 driver from MPXPlay to output the audio, so that you could essentially have SoundBlaster compatibility on any machine with a modern soundcard.

That is a matter for the MPXPlay developers, then.

A quick glance reveals that they actually have a thread about it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxplay/forum … 8/topic/3079341

Key takeaway:

- Old legacy games talk directly to ISA SB ports, and have no (good) way to plug in a new driver

Reply 15 of 31, by crocodilepeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok I got it but it's sloooow !
I give up 😵
- play super smooth @ high resolutions and good refresh rate /no sound on my new pc
- play with sound but slower than dosbox and bad vid quality
my only choices...

Reply 16 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand that you're playing the DOS game Blood on a Pentium 3 machine, which is running at 877 MHz, and that you don't like it because the game's frame rate seems too low. What operating system are you using? Eg DOS 6.x or 7, or "dos in a box" inside Windows 9x. What graphics card are you using? And finally, what screen resolution have you got Blood set to?

Reply 17 of 31, by crocodilepeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

I understand that you're playing the DOS game Blood on a Pentium 3 machine, which is running at 877 MHz, and that you don't like it because the game's frame rate seems too low. What operating system are you using? Eg DOS 6.x or 7, or "dos in a box" inside Windows 9x. What graphics card are you using? And finally, what screen resolution have you got Blood set to?

yes that's right 🙁 it's DOS 7.1 and the gfx card is geforce 4 mx - not many vesa modes (pci-express radeon HD has many more), 1024x768 was too slow so I played 800x600.. if it helps I'll get some better gpu and install win95 ..

Reply 18 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to try running Blood on my P3 rig, and see what configuration it needs to get this game running fast and smoothly. What is this game's highest screen resolution? Is it 1024x768? I'll have a look online for a demo of this game, but perhaps buying the full game will give me more options to mess about with, including the graphics. Do you happen to know if that's the case?

I see that gog.com is selling this game. Do you happen to know if I can simply copy over the downloaded files to a Win9x/DOS-based HDD, and just run the game as if it was a "pure DOS" installed game? Or does gog.com meddle with their DOS games, to make it impossible to run them outside of their supported operating system base, which I believe is Windows XP and upwards. Thanks a lot for any advice.