Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 965, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Myloch wrote:

I noticed some minor static sound during thunder sample in colonel bequest.

Still under development. After releasing dosbox_run2.7z, sergm added some minor improvements to the development branch.

Reply 81 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ykhwong, can you add a patch along with the exe? Since I'm on OS X I'd rather run Dosbox natively instead of running Dosbox in a VM 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 82 of 965, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:

Still under development. After releasing dosbox_run2.7z, sergm added some minor improvements to the development branch.

wooops..sorry man it's my fault. I used dosbox_run.exe
Using dosbox_run2 fixed that static sound but introduced some "off" notes during the intro song and the initial clock sound (colonel bequest).
But this is under development after a pause lasted for years, so it's normal every new build has some minor bugs here and there. thanks again for the great job!

Reply 83 of 965, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

ykhwong, can you add a patch along with the exe? Since I'm on OS X I'd rather run Dosbox natively instead of running Dosbox in a VM 😀

Try this one with Mac OS X. Updated with the addition of this definition in partial.cpp.

#define __min(a,b)  (((a) < (b)) ? (a) : (b))

Attachments

• Filename
    munt_20110328.diff
    File size
    239.38 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 84 of 965, by circle_theory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ykhwong, this newer build of yours sounds great. However, with the recent switch in reverb, the SQ3 intro almost has no reverb at all. The previous build had almost a delay effect than a reverb on the perscussion, so in some ways, this version is slightly superior.

Reply 85 of 965, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
circle_theory wrote:

Ykhwong, this newer build of yours sounds great. However, with the recent switch in reverb, the SQ3 intro almost has no reverb at all. The previous build had almost a delay effect than a reverb on the perscussion, so in some ways, this version is slightly superior.

It could sound muddy. sergm said that freeverb sounds much more realistic (Look at page 4 of this thread), so I decided to use freeverb instead of delayReverb.

I also look back to the happy past with MUNT code from ScummVM that I could get nice reverb emulation. Dunno which code is used for such echo effect in the codebase. The Scumm-munt code is also using freeverb though.
Someone in ScummVM forum also complained about the absence of reverb effects in the latest CVS of MUNT.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=700 … er=asc&start=30

Reply 86 of 965, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding reverb:

DelayReverb is experimental code intended to provide a more accurate emulation of reverb mode 3 ("stereo tapped delay") only. It hasn't been hooked up yet because it's not yet properly tuned.

We have an uncommitted replacement for freeverb for the other modes, but this also requires tuning.

Reply 87 of 965, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KingGuppy wrote:

Regarding reverb:

DelayReverb is experimental code intended to provide a more accurate emulation of reverb mode 3 ("stereo tapped delay") only. It hasn't been hooked up yet because it's not yet properly tuned.

We have an uncommitted replacement for freeverb for the other modes, but this also requires tuning.

Thanks for your explanation, KingGuppy. 😀 I am expecting better reverb emulation.

Reply 88 of 965, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yep the reverb and I suspect something subtle is missing, you can notice it with monkey island 1 intro, for example, seems like a background instrument is missing or something like that. However, the difference with previous munt is huge and it begins to be more difficult with some games to notice differences with real hardware.

Reply 90 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:

I noticed that munt_reloaded branch was removed and it seems to be integrated into the existing munt branch. Recently reverb has been much improved. 😁

As promised 😉

Moreover, I've made another WG. It ~97% accurate but unfortunately, seeing digital samples it's impossible to induct exact formulas LA uses. And maybe there is no formulas at all but just tables...

If interested, the concept of cosine sloped WG is accessible at:

https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/tree/mast … /devel/WTRSynth

Thus, MUNT WILL sound very close to LA soon. Much closer then munt_reloaded which use "very exact filter" 😉

Reply 92 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:

That's great to hear. 😀 Keep up the work.

I'm trying 😉

BTW, the main advantage of the new WG is pretty good emulation of partial amplitudes, not only almost exact waveforms. So, those barely hearable over- and under-attenuated sounds will be gone at last 😉))

Reply 93 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried that WG. It sounds very strangely... But Prince2 has been never overdriven 😎 Continue fight...

Attachments

• Filename
    Patch.7z
    File size
    1.86 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license

Reply 96 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Myloch wrote:

good job sergm. hope it's not april fish 🤣 🤣 🤣

KG's definitely joked on me 😉 But after all, cleanup and re-understanding were done, and it sounds very pleasant 😎

Precompiled build attached 😀

EDT:
I'll keep a fresh build of that win32app here:
https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel

EDT2:
I build the win32drv as well on the new engine. So, if anyone find it more convenient, it's ready to use 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    mt32emu.zip
    File size
    62.76 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
Last edited by sergm on 2011-04-05, 08:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 98 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ponytear wrote:

Thanks a lot for this new build! 😀

Do you want/need some feedback when you post new builds or not?

You're always welcome to... We appreciate your opinion 😉 If there were no feedback, there would be no munt_reloaded 😉

Reply 99 of 965, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tested the last munt update using ykhwong april build. A lot of games sound even better (like king's quest 4,5,monkey island 2, Kyrandia...). Silpheed sounds a bit weird (too much reverb?). Colonel bequest is frequently distorted/overdriven, if you leave the ingame volume on standard.
test in progress