VOGONS

Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course, it doesn't. Roland itself points that in their VSC docs. It's OK in terms of keeping real hardware sells I suppose. But AFAIK, the difference isn't in the sample bank used. So, sound engine is almost accurate emulated.

Reply 121 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ponytear

Thanks for the analysis you’ve done. It’s very interesting that you find that old build better that is known to sound wrong 😉

ALL

There is no doubt a great interest to the project if people test it before release and Ykhwong isn't lazy to rebuild his 1,2 Mb DOSBox to apply almost every patch of the ~60Kb lib 😉

I think you understand that confusion with pre-release builds is unavoidable. So, the better way is to speak rather in terms of build features than build’s date. And Git sources surely contain an explanation of each change we do 😀

Of course, there is a lot of work to do remained but I think these pre-release builds are necessary. Some projects are known to do even daily builds to see how the project progresses (or even still can be built) and also stimulate the developers to work 😉 On the other hand, MUNT can’t be tested using the standard patches or a particular game tune. And we already have a proof on that 🙁 So, IMHO, it would be really great if anyone could test the code with his favorite tune at any time. Although, the best way to do is comparing PATCHES and then TUNES. In other words, if you say “that game sounds weird”, that gives to developers much less info then “after you commit 123456 the Distguitar patch of OVERKILL game sounds wrong”.
Hope you get me right 😀

Reply 122 of 965, by ponytear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s very interesting that you find that old build better that is known to sound wrong

Haha, yes! Actually, as I think I said, I would use different builds for different games. But as for now, I will use the latest build for all games except those who overdrive and on which I have no volume control like 4D Sports Driving.

And I appreciate the separate mt32emu.exe a lot since I can use it with ScummVM (which is to me more convenient when playing adventure games).

Reply 124 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noted early that overdrive isn't a problem with win32app. It can be used altogether with that display app which allows to set lower volume. Ykhwong patch in contrast doesn't use that external interface (though easily can with 2 more rows in the patch)...

P.S. Besides, DOSBox uses more CPU since more frequent render() calls

Reply 126 of 965, by ponytear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noted early that overdrive isn't a problem with win32app. It can be used altogether with that display app which allows to set lower volume.

Well, not according to my tests... I just checked now to make sure and the menu music from 4D Sports Driving still overdrives even with the Master Volume from the display app set to 10... That's mainly why I prefer the previous win32app build (22/03), there is no overdrive even with the master volume at 100.

Reply 127 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect it's a little confusing. mt32emu_display is a funny display interface featured the MT-32 face plate and so forth.. Here's my previous post about overdrives:

sergm wrote:
Miki Maus wrote:

The parts of music still sound overdriven in Prince 2 even if I turn down volume to 30.

Yes, I've found Santour's overdrive of Prince 2 too. I think the reverb tuning is a cause. Ykhwong's DOSBox build even don't use freeverb at all.

But there is just one note: volume in that dotnet app is applied to the final mixed sound in the app. It isn't sent to the synth via SysEx as it does display application when you turn the volume knob. So, you cannot get rid of overdrives by lowering volume in the synth app. But this allows you to set volume higher up to 10 times gain (with overdrives of course). It's just useful for testing when you listen up to sound details or just one single note.

Maybe I change that volume behavior in future...

Reply 129 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ponytear wrote:

I've noted early that overdrive isn't a problem with win32app. It can be used altogether with that display app which allows to set lower volume.

Well, not according to my tests... I just checked now to make sure and the menu music from 4D Sports Driving still overdrives even with the Master Volume from the display app set to 10... That's mainly why I prefer the previous win32app build (22/03), there is no overdrive even with the master volume at 100.

Master volume now goes directly to the synth thus lowering it helps with overdrives and prevents confusing 😉 I think there is no need to increase the volume anymore 😀

Reply 131 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zorbid wrote:

Please keep us posted with the progress you make.

Recent changes in the library include:

- floats now go throughout till the final mixing, and the reverb also
- PCM playback greatly improved
- refined resonance
- introduced LA-32 to DAC wiring emulation (includes bit shift options)
- better panpot emulation
- spotted some bugs and added some new 😉

When reverb is turned off, MUNT sounds really great now. Sadly, after these changes, reverb became somewhat alien 🙁 This is the main todo now...

EDT:
- and the ring modulation is proper now 😀

Last edited by sergm on 2011-04-10, 14:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 139 of 965, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now.

What is the link to the Munt Reloaded source repo? A google search pulls up a lot of dead/outdated project links.

Is there a reasonably current Win32 midi driver for Munt reloaded?

*edit*
I found the repo. I see the source for the win32 driver, so I'll have to download and give it a whirl.
*/edit*