VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sorry for this basic sounding question. I have an old driver diskette. It's for a VLB graphics card. I want to do a post about it, and thought it would be useful to include a link to this diskette's software, so other people can download it. It contains a Windows 3.x driver software and utilities.

I would like to make a complete copy of this diskette, so that I can upload it to my MediaFire account. What software do I need, either for DOS or for Windows 9x, to do this complete copy? Thanks a lot for answering this probably basic question.

I wonder if Windows 98 can do this operation, without the need for me to download and install any extra software, but I'm worried that it won't make a complete copy of the diskette. Perhaps it will, I'm just not sure. I'd like to check first, before I make the back up. Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

A driver disk is most most likely not copy protected in any way, so just copying the files with explorer should be enough (select all files and drag them to another folder)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, most likely overkill for a driver disk, though

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 29, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer using Winimage as well, this tool allows you to conver the diskette format as well, like converting from a 720k size to a 1.44MB size diskette or the other way around as long as there is enough space for the files 😀

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 5 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As Dominus suggested, since it's just a driver disk, it would be sufficient to make a ZIP file with the contents of the floppy. The only reason you'd make an image of a floppy was if it had some special attribute, like being a boot disk, or having a nonstandard format or something.

You can download Winzip 6.3 which works in Windows 98, or you can do it with Xtree Gold if you felt like retro-ing it up. Unfortunately, built-in ZIP file facilities weren't introduced until Windows XP.

Just make sure Windows isn't hiding any files, check the Folder Options and make sure "Hide system files" is unticked.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Unfortunately, built-in ZIP file facilities weren't introduced until Windows XP.

Technically, it was included in the 98 Plus! pack. I think ME consequently had it too. But I've never liked the Windows built-in Zip functionality.

WinImage, being astonishingly expensive shareware, has never been my favorite either.

Reply 9 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah looks like it was included in ME. When you mentioned it I remembered that I had taken the files from ME and ported it to Windows 2000. Never really used it tho.

http://www.compatdb.org/forums/topic/19905-co … ndows-2000-pro/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well that explains it, I didn't touch ME, and never had it in Windows 2000.

My bad.

Still, Winzip is a much nicer tool than the compressed folders bizzo. Much faster too.

Reply 11 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I disagree. 7-zip whips Winzip's ass for modern use.

I only use WinZIP for nostalgia nowadays, and it's around the 6.x/7.x versions only on older systems.

Though, I miss the days when all those companies used the WinZIP self extractor for their pre-setup processes. Much better than Installshield "verifying" itself 3 times.

Reply 12 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I disagree. 7-zip whips Winzip's ass for modern use.

How is that disagreeing? Both Winzip and 7zip are nicer and faster than the "compressed folders" engine that Windows uses.

😉

Reply 13 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

7zip doesn't give you a nag on opening a file, and compressed folders don't either. Back when this was new in 2000 this was a huge convenience. 😀

However the 'search' of files in zips by Windows will lead into memory leaks and runaway loops though. You can't even turn this off on XP despite what all those 'xp how to tech i am super pro ultimate vista expert' sites say.

Reply 14 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, nag screen, I was thinking more about how fast they are at actually doing their jobs, especially if you have a ZIP that contains a large number of files.

Reply 15 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't quite recall what I used to use in 98. I know I used WinZip for a while, since I got a site-licensed version at some point (that'll kill the nag screen). And there was PowerArchiver, back when it was freeware. I forget if I was using IZArc at that point, but it definitely doesn't support Win9x anymore.

I still can't stand 7Zip's interface. A fine algorithm and all that, I'm sure, but I don't understand why the GUI has remained sub-par for so long.

leileilol wrote:

However the 'search' of files in zips by Windows will lead into memory leaks and runaway loops though. You can't even turn this off on XP despite what all those 'xp how to tech i am super pro ultimate vista expert' sites say.

I've been wondering about that. It seems every time I found that tip, I'd find someone commenting "hay that doesn't work", but no further comment on how to permanently fix it.

The worst part is that it insists on putting the Zip files in the folder pane in Explorer. The folder pane is for folders, dangit!

Reply 17 of 29, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I highly recommend this (windoze software) http://download.cnet.com/Floppy-Image/3000-22 … 4-10053170.html

Credits go to keropi who showed me this util some years ago 😀

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 18 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I am preparing some archive for old software at the moment, I would also liuke to know, which utility is a standard utility?

There is rawrite, winimage, vgacopy vcp, dcf, dcp files and so on....
What is most used, versatile in terms of tool availability for Win / DOS / Linux (OS/2...) a.s.o. ?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool