VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I just ran the "Floppy Image" setup.exe on Windows 95. Unfortunately, it pops up with an error saying "This program requires Windows version 4.1 or later"

Yeah, Windows 95 is to ancient for the software

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 21 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alot of installers have arbitrary restrictions.

In some cases you can hack the installer. If you can't then try to extract the files or install the program on another computer and copy over.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the info people! I have been experimenting with everyone's suggestions. Re VGACopy, I use this too, but is it a floppy-to-floppy copier only?

VGACopy is one of THE tools of DOS days. It is not only a floppy to floppy copier, but can also produce vcp images files, even compress them.
And it is fast, especially if you have a vgacopy workflow and use disks with optimized interleave.

Though I don't know which of the newer programs is able to use vcp image files.

Reply 23 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

Fifteen dollars!? Senseless!

elianda wrote:

There is rawrite, winimage, vgacopy vcp, dcf, dcp files and so on....
What is most used, versatile in terms of tool availability for Win / DOS / Linux (OS/2...) a.s.o. ?

They all output the same kind of disk image in the end, if I'm not mistaken, so it doesn't make too much difference in the end.

I would agree that Winimage is probably the most versatile.

Reply 24 of 29, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Fifteen dollars!? Senseless! […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

Fifteen dollars!? Senseless!

elianda wrote:

There is rawrite, winimage, vgacopy vcp, dcf, dcp files and so on....
What is most used, versatile in terms of tool availability for Win / DOS / Linux (OS/2...) a.s.o. ?

They all output the same kind of disk image in the end, if I'm not mistaken, so it doesn't make too much difference in the end.

I would agree that Winimage is probably the most versatile.

Seems like their newest version isn't free but this version is free: http://pc-colo.com/pub/index.php?dir=Utility/ … ppyimage152.zip

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 25 of 29, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you really want to be open source/free software, just use the windows version of rawrite like I said... it will make images in the defacto rawrite standard, which winimage also uses... if you zip the image files and name them .imz, winimage will treat them as compressed images too (for those who use them)

Reply 26 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why winimage is so expensive? I've been using it for free for many years 😁
One thing I like about winimage is it's availability to format 2.88MB floppies in XP, even though XP itself doesn't support formatting this format.

And yes, ME was the 1st OS to support zip files out of the box.
ME did have it's strange quirks when it came to how the zip thingy was implemented, but at least it worked. No need for installing 3rd party software to make your OS work (something you'll need to do a lot when installing 98SE, but hey, I am more of an ME fanboy 😜 ).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Yes, most likely overkill for a driver disk, though

+1

I seriously doubt there is any vital information hidden on a driver disc that a simple file copy won't catch like there might be on a game or app disc. Drivers are distributed free of charge in most cases so there's no real need to hide anything on the disc that requires special tools to duplicate.

Reply 29 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do remember some cases where deleted files and source code were retrieved from floppies.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline