VOGONS

First post, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I decided to try out the latest ykhwong build. I'd been using gulikoza's build, but it's getting old and I wanted to try out the new munt emulation. MT-32 sounds fine in gulikoza, but MT-32 audio doesn't seem to be working at all in ykhwong. I have the roms in the same folder as the .exe. Is there something special I need to do? Do I have to mess with Vista audio drivers like when I used to use the separate MUNT emulator? I tried googling and searching around here, but couldn't find any special instructions.

Reply 2 of 10, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the Munt drivers but it didn't seem to matter. It still does the same thing. I experimented some more. I was using D-Fend Reloaded like I did with gulikoza, and it seems that's what's causing the cracking and messed up MT-32 audio, but I have no clue why. If I load a game directly through Dosbox, it plays fine. I have mididevice=mt32 set in D-Fend Reloaded. I also uninstalled the Munt drivers and MT-32 still works fine in ykhwong as long as I load a game using that without using D-Fend.

So now I'm even more confused as to how D-Fend could be affecting that.

Reply 4 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Try this

Just curious:

What's the difference between that one that you attached and this -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt (mt32emu_win32drv-0.1.3.zip)? The one at the Sourceforge page is a manual installation (unzip and use the included INF file), while the MuntSetup.exe file that you attached I'm sure is an actual installer.

I extracted the files from the NullSoft installer (MuntSetup.exe), and it appears that the MT32EMU.DLL is indeed newer and larger (although the file properties report the same version, only a newer copyright, 2011). Also, the installer includes SDL.DLL (which AFAIK the older version doesn't require).

Anyhow, just a-wondering what the differences are (i.e. are there any bug fixes or feature updates to the newer one)? The older version from Sourceforge (that I currently have installed) has a "settings" menu that could be accessed from the WinDoZe Device Manager, but it was non-functional.

Attachments

• MT-32_Emulation_Properties.png
    Filename
    MT-32_Emulation_Properties.png
    File size
    5.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Device Manager/Sound, Video and Game Controllers/MT-32 Synth Emulator/Properties/Settings
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by rfnagel on 2011-04-20, 11:02. Edited 4 times in total.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 6 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:
Just curious: […]
Show full quote
collector wrote:

Try this

Just curious:

What's the difference between that one that you attached and this -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt (mt32emu_win32drv-0.1.3.zip)? The one at the Sourceforge page is a manual installation (unzip and use the included INF file), while the MuntSetup.exe file that you attached I'm sure is an actual installer.

I extracted the files from the NullSoft installer (MuntSetup.exe), and it appears that the MT32EMU.DLL is indeed newer and larger (although the file properties report the same version, only a newer copyright, 2011). Also, the installer includes SDL.DLL (which AFAIK the older version doesn't require).

Anyhow, just a-wondering what the differences are (i.e. are there any bug fixes or feature updates to the newer one)? The older version from Sourceforge (that I currently have installed) has a "settings" menu that could be accessed from the WinDoZe Device Manager, but it was non-functional.

The driver itself is recently taken directly from SourceForge.

If you had read the thread in the MT-32 Development forum you would see what the reason for it is. The inf does not install on 64-bit systems. The driver can be manually installed, but involves steps that some would not be comfortable doing, such as manually registering the DLL and making a registry entry. The later cannot be done with just a .REG file as the registry need to be checked first so as to not overwrite an existing value. There is also the System32/SysWOW64 and the registry Wow6432Node redirects to be taken into account.

Even though the script was made with the intent to make it possible to install the driver on 64-bit systems, it will work on 32-bit Windows as well.

Reply 7 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A-OK, thanks for the info, Collector 😀

I sort of had a hunch that it was for newer OS support, but wasn't sure.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 10 of 10, by Timar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

If you had read the thread in the MT-32 Development forum you would see what the reason for it is. The inf does not install on 64-bit systems. The driver can be manually installed, but involves steps that some would not be comfortable doing, such as manually registering the DLL and making a registry entry. The later cannot be done with just a .REG file as the registry need to be checked first so as to not overwrite an existing value. There is also the System32/SysWOW64 and the registry Wow6432Node redirects to be taken into account.

Even though the script was made with the intent to make it possible to install the driver on 64-bit systems, it will work on 32-bit Windows as well.

Are you sure that the included mt32emu.dll isn't a 64bit build? I tried to replace the version installed to SysWOW64 with the most recent version from munt devel, but if I do it stops working...