VOGONS

Reply 40 of 52, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the topic of cool VR / 3D stuff, I used a Forte VFX-1 helmet once. There was a cyber cafe here in the mid '90s and I went to it for a school trip. Played some Mechwarrior 2 and Flight Unlimited. That was pretty awesome let me tell y'all. 😉

But I remember the head tracking being a bit laggy and of course the LCD resolution was not great back then. I can only imagine how much better they could be with modern tech.

Reply 41 of 52, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Instructions to run NFS3 & NFS4 in Glide2x with Voodoo3/4/5 (enabling stereoscopic mode and resolution override with Wicked3D eyeScream):

1) (NFS3 only) If NFS3 is patched with NFS3_update, reinstall it and DO NOT APPLY NFS3_update patch. (NFS4 only) Replace voodoo2a.dll in NFS4 with voodoo2a.dll in UNPATCHED NFS3.

2) (NFS3 & NFS4) Edit 3ddata.dat file in \3dSetup folder, and just below the line that reads "product=Need For Speed XXX", add the following lines if not present (CASE SENSITIVE):

CARD_3Dfx Voodoo5
CARD_3Dfx Voodoo3

Then change "D3D=1" to "D3D=0". Save changes and close the file.

3) (NFS3 & NFS4) Select "force voodoorush emulation" in Voodoo Control.

4) (NFS3 & NFS4) Merge NFS_3dfx.reg file with registry database.

5) (NFS3 & NFS4) Run 3DSetup.exe and select 3dfx Voodoo3/4/5.

6) (NFS3 & NFS4) Run the game. Now you have Stereo Need For Speed!!!

Attachments

• Filename
    NFS_3dfx.7z
    File size
    1 KiB
    Downloads
    497 downloads
    File comment
    Registry Database Update for improved Voodoo3/4/5 support in NFS3 & NFS4
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by batracio on 2011-04-23, 21:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 42 of 52, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This certainly looks promising! Can you also post a NFS3_update patch link? I'm not sure Im using the same one as you. The one I was using was only voodoo2a.dll and manually (registry) forcing the game to use it.

Also, what eye3D driver are you using? 4.11, 4.12 or 5.02?

Reply 43 of 52, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I uploaded NFS3_update, but notice that in order to get stereo working, you MUST NOT INSTALL IT.

I think I'm using eyeScream 4.12, now I have installed a Radeon 9200 to test what happens with an unsupported card as primary display device. It isn't properly detected in Wicked3D tab page, it only detects the Voodoo2. However, the stereo mode test works fine, but nothing else runs in stereo. Direct3D games played on the primary display won't activate the stereo mode.

Next thing to try is eye3D PCI with iZ3D driver.

Attachments

• Filename
    nfs3_update.zip
    File size
    82.84 KiB
    Downloads
    465 downloads
    File comment
    NFS3 Patch to update Glide2x renderer to Glide3x renderer
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 44 of 52, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just recieved a PCI voodoo 3 2000 and replaced an AGP version voodoo3 with that. It is not working well. It locks up after rendering the first 3D frame on Grand theft auto 3DFX. It goes black after the first "EIDOS" intro screen of Tomb Raider 3DFX. Also Lockups with DOOM MBF and Tie Fighter CD. Windows 98 loads fine though.
There is a tiny bit of green goo at the backside of the PCB, near a memory chip. I tried to scrape it with a knife, but it seems a PCB trace is actually in the middle of it, as if it bulged out...

Not much hope for this one I guess.

Last edited by gerwin on 2011-05-04, 19:29. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 45 of 52, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Success!
The PCB traces checked out OK using the multimeter.
The Voodoo card just has a conflict with the ISA SB16 CT2800. There are just three cards inside: SB16/MPU401/Voodoo. But only when I skip the Diagnose /s" sound card PnP init will the 3DFX Acceleration work.

Now then, I do not have a clue on how these two things can conflict and how to solve that...

Reply 46 of 52, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
Success! The PCB traces checked out OK using the multimeter. The Voodoo card just has a conflict with the ISA SB16 CT2800. The […]
Show full quote

Success!
The PCB traces checked out OK using the multimeter.
The Voodoo card just has a conflict with the ISA SB16 CT2800. There are just three cards inside: SB16/MPU401/Voodoo. But only when I skip the Diagnose /s" sound card PnP init will the 3DFX Acceleration work.

Now then, I do not have a clue on how these two things can conflict and how to solve that...

Just juggle around with different PCI slots. Sometimes, if PCI and ISA are next to each other, they use the same resources which occasionally may pose a problem.

Reply 47 of 52, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I swapped slots once, but to no avail.
Fortunately I just found BIOS setup defaults made things work. Then traced it to the setting "Passive Release". which should be set to enabled. Otherwise accessing the sound hardware and 3D acceleration simultaniously will somehow cause a conflict. The motherboard is an AOpen AX6BC by the way.

Reply 49 of 52, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tgod wrote:

Does anyone have an ISO of the Wicked3D Eyescream drivers? I need it since most of updates require it to install.

Best is to create a new thread for this. Welcome btw

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 50 of 52, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a site that has ALL 3dfx Refernce-Drivers for ALL-3dfx Cards and ALL Os'es ?
The actual/Latest V3-Driver for Win95 produces White-Textures with MotoRacer1.

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 51 of 52, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:
Is there a site that has ALL 3dfx Refernce-Drivers for ALL-3dfx Cards and ALL Os'es ? The actual/Latest V3-Driver for Win95 prod […]
Show full quote

Is there a site that has ALL 3dfx Refernce-Drivers for ALL-3dfx Cards and ALL Os'es ?
The actual/Latest V3-Driver for Win95 produces White-Textures with MotoRacer1.

Thx
Doc

http://www.falconfly.de

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 52 of 52, by joansb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
batracio wrote on 2011-04-23, 00:04:
Instructions to run NFS3 & NFS4 in Glide2x with Voodoo3/4/5 (enabling stereoscopic mode and resolution override with Wicked3D ey […]
Show full quote

Instructions to run NFS3 & NFS4 in Glide2x with Voodoo3/4/5 (enabling stereoscopic mode and resolution override with Wicked3D eyeScream):

1) (NFS3 only) If NFS3 is patched with NFS3_update, reinstall it and DO NOT APPLY NFS3_update patch. (NFS4 only) Replace voodoo2a.dll in NFS4 with voodoo2a.dll in UNPATCHED NFS3.

2) (NFS3 & NFS4) Edit 3ddata.dat file in \3dSetup folder, and just below the line that reads "product=Need For Speed XXX", add the following lines if not present (CASE SENSITIVE):

CARD_3Dfx Voodoo5
CARD_3Dfx Voodoo3

Then change "D3D=1" to "D3D=0". Save changes and close the file.

3) (NFS3 & NFS4) Select "force voodoorush emulation" in Voodoo Control.

4) (NFS3 & NFS4) Merge NFS_3dfx.reg file with registry database.

5) (NFS3 & NFS4) Run 3DSetup.exe and select 3dfx Voodoo3/4/5.

6) (NFS3 & NFS4) Run the game. Now you have Stereo Need For Speed!!!

I know this is a very old post and please for refloting it, but I want to thank you batracio because this info is gold. I'm assembling an old k6-2 / voodoo3 to play NFS4/5 games and I wasn't able to understand the low performance. I remember my k6-200 / voodoo 2 with a great performance with both games.

thank you man! I've seen you are active member so i think you will read my thanks