VOGONS

Pandora Directive

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 150, by MagooChris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I'm not at my computer at the moment so I can't test it.

It might have been the underdogs, it was something like "Steve's XP games help" or something.

I'll test all these out when I get Home, Thanx

Ohh does this help with Under a Killing Moon as well?

Reply 123 of 150, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Providing a prepatched TEX4.exe is a Bad Thing(tm). For two reasons, the most important being there are different versions in different languages, different revisions (IIRC), etc.

Oh, and, uh, how nice of you to credit us. heh (Seriously. This is why I'm going to be using a Attribution-NoDerivs CC license.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 124 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Providing a prepatched TEX4.exe is a Bad Thing(tm). For two reasons, the most important being there are different versions in different languages, different revisions (IIRC), etc.

I've tested it with a lot of different versions I have - german, french, english ... all worked fine. The only thing that changes is the language in the hint section as well as the name of the inventory items which are now always english. So shouldn't be any problem (Access itself provided patches for UAKM, OVERSEER and PD with patched .EXEs - the same there: language changes, but not conflicts with other files).

Concering the Credit: Do you see the credit? I haven't published the page (that was inferno) but somehow, the page is cut of the middle of the walkthrough at the moment when I try to access it. must talk to inferno with that.

Reply 125 of 150, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by basti007 I've tested it with a lot of different versions I have - german, french, english ... all worked fine.

But if you read the thread, you'll see that we came across compatibility issues almost immediately. You may just be lucky.

Reply 126 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

But if you read the thread, you'll see that we came across compatibility issues almost immediately. You may just be lucky.

Really? Which post? I can't find anything... Of course there where compatibility issues, but none of that I know of caused by the patched tex4.exe ...

Reply 127 of 150, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by basti007 Really? Which post? I can't find anything...

Oh, well, you would ask...*heh*

There are various posts which may or may not be related to the TEX4.EXE (hard to tell from the descriptions). Primarily, I suspect the "crash-to-desktop" issues.

I do know that we were hacking the executable at different locations, depending on our particular executable. I suspect that may be a problem...

Reply 129 of 150, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by unregistered Only windows xp goes back to the desktop on cd swapping and starts the map of the cd up. How do turn it off?

I would install "TweakUI" for Windows XP (be aware that the most recent version requires SP1 to be installed), it has tweak setting for Autoplay and many other useful features.

In the meantime, to bypass Autoplay, just hold down your left Shift key until the CD you insert has finished it's "spin-up-and-be-recognized-by-the-OS" routine (on mine, this can take up to 13 seconds).

Reply 130 of 150, by knautilus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. My first post here. I hope we can help each other.

I would really like to get Under a Killing Moon running under XP, and running well. I've had some degree of success with this, and I'd like to see if anyone can help me make this a little better.

I read a tutorial here ( http://pub24.ezboard.com/funofficialtexmurphy … picID=349.topic ) that claims to be able to run both UAKM and Pandora Directive. I was able to follow the instructions for Pandora just fine (the game is extremely unstable, almost to the point of non-playable), but I came to a snag on step 6.

This part asks you to edit an executable named TEX4.EXE, and replace the string "000bfae0h: 04 00 00 9C FA 66 A1 86" with "000bfae0h: 04 00 00 9C 90 66 A1 86". UAKM uses the file TEX3.EXE, and I found no such string anywhere in it. However, I did find 4 occurances of "9C FA 66 A1". I made the FA - 90 change in various combinations, and found invariably that changing the second one (located in line 00075b40) resulted in the elimination of the same mouse problem the tutorial describes.

I have attached the modified version of this file, for easy access. I used the most current "updated" version of this file, in hopes that it will eliminate some problems. I did read in this thread that the posting of this kind of file is frowned upon, so I hope this is ok. Using this version of the file, I've got UAKM running at a reasonable level of performance (it still crashes sometimes, but it's not anywhere NEAR as bad as Pandora Directive).

I have a couple things I'd like to see fixed, so if you've benefited from my file and anything about how to fix these, please post here or drop me an email (maskedmoron@hotmail.com). I'd like to force a refresh rate of 75Hz or higher for the game, I'd like to fix the mild but tolerable choppiness in the sound, and I'd like to make the game crash as infrequently as possible.

Thanks.

~Knautilus

Attachments

• Filename
    MOON.rar
    File size
    339.41 KiB
    Downloads
    328 downloads
    File comment
    It works *pretty* well. If you benefit from this file and know of a way to fix any other issues, please let me know.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 132 of 150, by Guest

User metadata

First of all, Greetings to everyone.

Snover:

Oh, and, uh, how nice of you to credit us. heh (Seriously. This is why I'm going to be using a Attribution-NoDerivs CC license.)

Basti007:

Concering the Credit: Do you see the credit? I haven't published the page (that was inferno) but somehow, the page is cut of the middle of the walkthrough at the moment when I try to access it. must talk to inferno with that.

Don't know why the page was cut in half, My apologies to all. The page has been fixed and now supports the credits as Basti007 has written. If these credits aren't accurate or if they are insufficient, please let me know so that they can be corrected. The AND CC is important for all to adhere to, including me and I don't take it lightly.

Also I realize that I can no longer offer the Tex4.exe Patch for download in all good conscience, as I am now uncertain as to who the true author is. And until I have that author's proper written permission, it will not be provided by my website for download. (At the time of publishing and upon reading this thread tonight, I was under the impression that Basti007 was the author.) Apparently, this is not the case. So, until my confusion has been laid to rest...I have no other choice but the proper one as it stands now.

With regard to the Setup Walkthrough itself, I thank Basti007 imensely for his contribution. He has written two so far and I'm hoping he will continue to contribute, as well as anyone else who is willing to take the time to help the adventure gaming community at large.

As it stands now, I will leave the Pandora Setup Walkthrough up on my site, as is, for your review. Obviously changes as to who has written which section needs to be appropriately noted, which I will gladly do.

Now, I also suggest if the appropriate permissions are not granted then Basti will have to withdraw the Setup (and I will remove it) until those permissions can be granted.

If the decision is that Basti007 does not have full rights and permissions for what he has written, I will remove the setup immediately with my firm apologies in the matter.

Tex Murphy:The Pandora Directive Setup Walkthrough

Please let me know your thoughts, until then I await your reply.

Inferno

Reply 133 of 150, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The TEX4.EXE patch is something that can be done by anyone with a HEX editor. Feel free to use that information, but like I said anyway, it's a bad idea to have a downloadable replacement TEX4.EXE.

Strange you'd finally write, I just went to that site the other day... hm. Anyway, I'm not as bitter as I sounded originally, don't worry so much. Mostly kneejerk reaction to places like TheUnderdogs not attributing.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 134 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry if there was any confusion about the credits. Probably i didn't took them as seriously as i should.

To me, it was just important that as many people can profit form the knowledge I got here in VOGONS - and as not every person can follow the thread here, or even know the page, i decided to make my own way of walkthrough - to show at least how I experimented with the game.

I thought, the links to the VOGONS page would be enough to let everyone know, how much people worked on that stuff. Probably too short thinking - i also don't give to much onto that credit stuff, to me it's just important to let everyone know, that the game WORKS under WindowsXP. So if you think it would be better to remove my name, feel free to do so (i think, i haven't even mentioned it in the original walkthrough and didn't thought, that inferno would credit me, anyway) However, I have definetly written everything myself and tested everything myself, except the TEX4.EXE i directly copied from this page (which was necessary, because my Tex version (german) had a totally different structure then that one i found here - i (and many others i know) tried to replace similiar HEX values - but hadn't any success). So it wasn't really just a copy and paste. It was more a step-by-step summary with every possible options you all guys here and myself discovered.

If everyone feels excluded, just let me or inferno know to put your name onto the walkthrough.

Reply 135 of 150, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Re: Editing of binaries.

Stiletto has an FAQ entry in the Deep Thought section on how to use the Patch program on binaries. The program is very generic and stupid, so I guess it could be used to patch TEX4.EXE as required?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 136 of 150, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The instructions for Pandora based on this thread are spreading across the net (Inferno, The Unofficial Tex Murphy Web Site, Quandary), but I have to say I do not like the way it is presented - only as a solution without any warning. I tested it on two computers and the game was so unstable that it was unplayable. From time to time crashed not only the game but also Windows itself (and I don´t mean the problem with switching to another CD). I think it is rather "use on your own risk and never complain we did not warn you tweak", than a patch as it is named for example on the Inferno site.

Reply 137 of 150, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

Re: Editing of binaries.

Stiletto has an FAQ entry in the Deep Thought section on how to use the Patch program on binaries. The program is very generic and stupid, so I guess it could be used to patch TEX4.EXE as required?

Hey, don't blame us, blame the creator of SoundFX 2000. He came up with the idea, we just wrote our own version so we could GPL it (also, MS co-opted the idea for the WinXP NTVDM.)

But yes, someone *ahem Snover* could rewrite it so that it searched for the necessary bit-string and made the necessary changes.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 138 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jiri wrote:

The instructions for Pandora based on this thread are spreading across the net (Inferno, The Unofficial Tex Murphy Web Site, Quandary), but I have to say I do not like the way it is presented - only as a solution without any warning. I tested it on two computers and the game was so unstable that it was unplayable. From time to time crashed not only the game but also Windows itself (and I don´t mean the problem with switching to another CD). I think it is rather "use on your own risk and never complain we did not warn you tweak", than a patch as it is named for example on the Inferno site.

Well, i only can tell that on every WinXP system i tested (9 computers) it ran without any visible problem except the CD switching issue. And I also got some emails from others who also succeded in getting it run quite smoothly... At least: It ran!

I just summarized that stuff and allowed inferno to publish it on their site. Leave it or delete it - i just want people to know how they can come around that problems. But It's probably a good idea to add that "do it on your own risk disclaimer" to the text file. Depends on inferno...

btw: I get a lot of emails at the moment of people asking me, why the patched TEX4.EXE was removed and where they can get it - so we should probably decide if this text should be kept on the site or not. I don't claim any property on it, so if anyone is against it, please announce it sometime soon and inferno will remove it...

Reply 139 of 150, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

But yes, someone *ahem Snover* could rewrite it so that it searched for the necessary bit-string and made the necessary changes.

Eh - I do not quite follow you here 😕 The patch program included with SoundFX uses the following syntax: patch -fbytes-to-find -rbyte-replacements input-file [optional-output file].

Seems like it can be use to search and replace anything? In fact, I was planning to see if I could patch MS-DOS commands like MORE and TREE to work with DOSBox (they currently aborts with "Wrong MS-DOS version". From what I gather, it is just a matter of finding the correct sequency of instructions and replace them with No-Op's?
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions