VOGONS

First post, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of questions regarding RAM. I have this motherboard, around which I have built a 486 DX/4 100:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/MI … NC-486-M4P.html

I wonder about the highest usable amount of RAM in MS-DOS that will make a difference. I know that MS-DOS can handle 64 MB at the most, but what is the highest amount a game will benefit from?

My dilemma is that I want to put four 8 MB RAM sticks on the motherboard, but this combination makes the computer unstable with frequent lock-ups during games and error reports during start-up from himem.sys's memtest. I never have any of these problems when I'm using only two RAM-sticks, regardless which of my RAM-sticks I use or which RAM-slots I put them in.

Is this a known problem that occur in many other boards, a manufacturing error on my board specifically, or my board simply being too old and worn?

I have some 32 MB RAM-sticks too, of unknown speed, but the computer refuses to recognize any of them, despite the motherboard manual claiming compatibility with their size. Is this because the motherboard is incompatible with these specific RAM-sticks, since they are too fast or something, or is this an error related to the one that won't let me use four sticks of 8 MB RAM? I have a pair of 8 MB ones that won't be recognized either, so maybe the problem is only with some RAM and not with 32 MB sticks in general.

So, back to my first question. The computer is reasonably stable with 8*8=16 MB of RAM. Should I be content with that amount, or should I try to get 32 or 64 MB for increased game performance? According to Mobygames, the only MS-DOS game that requires a minimum amount of 32 MB RAM is Fallout, and that won't run well on a 486 anyway. Is there any other game (or demo since this is a GUS-machine) that will benefit from more than 16 MB on a 486?

Reply 1 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've not heard of many games that were still using DOS that had memory requirements that high - they tended to be Win95/Win98 once you got games asking for higher than 8/16MB.

More memory won't hurt - you could use smartdrv or other caching software... though games weren't always very tolerent of it!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not a game (sorry if I'm being off topic somewhat), but would Calmera XP benefit from having more memory?

Gah, when typing this, I remembered that Calmera XP is a win 3x shell, not a DOS shell (though Win 3x is basically a DOS shell in a way).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 10, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Calmira XP is based off an older version of Calmira LFN. I suggest you use the latter one.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 4 of 10, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember trying to play the "Aladdin" game on my pentium pc, which has 64MB RAM. It wouldn't play under dos. Each time it would exit to dos, displaying the message "XMS allocation error...." . However it would play under the dos-prompt of the windows 98. But my sound card didn't work. Later, I found out that that game cannot run under dos on a pc which has more than 32MB RAM. I tried leaving 32MB on the board, and also creating a 32MB ram drive when I had 64MB, and it worked both ways. But I don't know if there are any other games like that. Now, for a 486 that is going to be used a dos machine, I think 16-24mb should be fine.

Reply 5 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently some DOS games can play up if you have more than 16MB of RAM. It's probably best to stay under that limit, becqause I can't think of any DOS off the top of my head games that required more than 8MB. You generally don't benefit from going over the game requirements in DOS.

That said you can use the extra RAM for smartdrv or as EMS using EMM386 or other memory manager.

On my 486 I have 16MB, I have about 5MB allocated for EMS (I think Tie Fighter needs that much, or some other game), a 2MB SMARTDRV cache and the remaining ~8MB is XMS. CAn play pretty much any game without having multiple configs or rebooting. Except for Ultima 7 😜

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 8 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

32MB may be the "sweet-spot".

Usually I have 128MB or 256MB installed in my Dos machines, and I create a separate configuration in the config.sys file, which "eats up" most of the chunk of the memory by creating ram a disk, using the wonderful xmsdisk/emsdisk utilities, which you can change the size on the fly from the command prompt. This leaves the desired ram (16MB,32MB...etc.) depending on how much of the memory is used in creating the ram disk.

And by having more memory and allocating part of it to ram disk(s), it can be used as the temp folder or a general workspace where you will be deleting most of the files after you're finished working on them.

If you're using Windows 3.1x, you can redirect the temp environment and swap space by moving these to the ram disk.

In my actual 486DX2-66 though, I'm only having 16MB RAM. (Only my combo DOS machines with Win95/98/ME/2K have higher memory installed.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pondering...if you create a RAM drive with 95, will the RAM drive be "eaten" from the top addresses?
If so, you could put 256MB in a P1, have the RAM drive eat everything except for 64MB (so the RAM drive is uncached, but the Windows RAM is cached).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

I can't think of any DOS off the top of my head games that required more than 8MB.

Blood whines if you have less than 24mb of memory.

I ran the registered version on my 16MB machine a while ago and don't remember seeing anything about that....

Of course it chugs on a 486 so I'd prefer to run it on my win98 box.