VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the old days, my dad had an very old game about 1980-1990 i think.
I think its called U-boot.. or submarines i think

Like this remake..

big3.jpg

Where can i find the orginal version of it?

Reply 3 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, I actually remember this game! I'd forgotten all about it.

robin4, where's the remake located? I'd like to give it a try 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 19, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Calvero wrote:
Do you mean Sub Chase (or Submarine Chase) by Jeff Levering? […]
Show full quote

Do you mean Sub Chase (or Submarine Chase) by Jeff Levering?

subchase1.png

subchase2.png

Almost.. there was an other version of this.. u-boot where like this:

......][
=======

(Dots are for centering) It was an far ierlier version. (dont know the games name exactly, and whos made it, i knowing only how it did looks..

Reply 5 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Judging by the screenie linkage, I'd say here -> http://www.terminalstudio.com/submarines.shtml 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 6 of 19, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In this game are you trying to destroy subs with depth charges dropped from a surface ship, like in your example; or is it maybe a sub that is firing torpedoes at ships and other subs, like in the ancient DOS version of Seawolf?

Reply 7 of 19, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Judging by the screenie linkage, I'd say here -> http://www.terminalstudio.com/submarines.shtml 😀

No iam looking for the older (i think the first version) ever made.

Look @ the 5th post. It was also an mono chrome type game.

Reply 11 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Thanks, I've been wondering what the name of that iteration was. I was kind of hoping after all these years it would finally be freeware, though.

I recommend WinDepth.

Reply 12 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Thanks, I've been wondering what the name of that iteration was. I was kind of hoping after all these years it would finally be freeware, though.

I recommend WinDepth.

A lot of time has to pass before software automatically falls into the public domain unless the copyright holder releases it. No piece of home computer software ever written has passed the time required for it's copyrights to expire as it is 75+ years. Even if the copyright holder is not doing anything with the program, it is still illegal to copy and distribute without their consent. Even if the current copyright holder cannot be determined, the copyright is still assumed to be in force by the courts. Copyrights can transfer when one company buys out another and the buying company may not even be fully aware of what they are gettingso they have no idea they have rights enforcable under the law. Software originally distributed by now defunct companies is still no guarantee that a copyright is not still in force as it may have transferred automatically to the original author or some officer of the company when the company dissolved. The original author of Castle Wolfenstein, distributed by Muse back around 1982, enforces his copyrights vigorously and that game is almost 30 years old. He gets a paycheck every time someone wants to use the Wolfenstein name on a new game and sends out cease and desist letters every time a warez site tries to distribute any game with the Wolfenstein name on it. That's why it's considered bad form to discuss warez sites and other forms of distributing old software here. Too many potential legal hassles. If you don't have or can't find an original copy of the game you're looking for, you'll have to use less conspicuous means of finding it.

Reply 13 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Come on, I didn't say anything about "copyright expiration" or "public domain". It is hardly unknown for the author of obscure ten-year-old shareware games to offer up his work as freeware once it becomes clear that it will no longer generate any revenue.

Also, Silas Warner is dead, and his wife authorized the release of Castle Wolfenstein's source code and executable. (Which is not to say that someone might still be getting royalties for the Wolfenstein name.)
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/BCW/faq.html

Reply 14 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Come on, I didn't say anything about "copyright expiration" or "public domain". It is hardly unknown for the author of obscure ten-year-old shareware games to offer up his work as freeware once it becomes clear that it will no longer generate any revenue.

Also, Silas Warner is dead, and his wife authorized the release of Castle Wolfenstein's source code and executable. (Which is not to say that someone might still be getting royalties for the Wolfenstein name.)
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/BCW/faq.html

One of his heirs is doing it, then, because I've seen take down notices as recent as 2008.

From the Castle Wolfenstein page of a certain warez site that shall remain nameless.

"After receiving a Cease & Desist from the current owner of MUSE Software and holder of the trademarks and copyrights of Castle Wolfenstein, all material related to the game has been removed from download. Hopefully, the owner has big plans for the franchise in the near future. We may never know, but until then enjoy the review and don't hesitate to participate in the forum discussions concerning this great achievement of the gaming industry at that time."

Reply 15 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Yeah, it costs as much as Half-Life. WTF!

Also, "Pro"... Sinking subs like a professional.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote:

Yes its very hard to find this game. Maybe its already extincted.

Is this it? Its called Depth Charge by Keypuch Software. I found it today while going through some disks and it was on Electronic Arts Arcade Bonanza Pak II Disk 2.

D_C2.JPG
Filename
D_C2.JPG
File size
46.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
D_C1.JPG
Filename
D_C1.JPG
File size
55.57 KiB
Views
File license

I'll try and post some better pictures later.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 17 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some shots taken of running the program in DoxBox on the this Linux box. The program file is 49k called depthchg.exe

depthcg5.png
Filename
depthcg5.png
File size
3.78 KiB
Views
File license
depthchg1.png
Filename
depthchg1.png
File size
7.5 KiB
Views
File license
depthchg2.png
Filename
depthchg2.png
File size
1.91 KiB
Views
File license
depthchg4.png
Filename
depthchg4.png
File size
1.18 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2015-02-01, 03:57. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 18 of 19, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:
Is this it? Its called Depth Charge by Keypuch Software. I found it today while going through some disks and it was on Electroni […]
Show full quote
Robin4 wrote:

Yes its very hard to find this game. Maybe its already extincted.

Is this it? Its called Depth Charge by Keypuch Software. I found it today while going through some disks and it was on Electronic Arts Arcade Bonanza Pak II Disk 2.

D_C2.JPG
D_C1.JPG

I'll try and post some better pictures later.

I think this is it!! I rememberd that title screen..

Iam also found that bowling game i was looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnRUiqIIjY Also keypunch software.. Very nice memories on both game, when i was 4 / 5 years old playing these games. 😊

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 19 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got that too.

bowling.png
Filename
bowling.png
File size
2.23 KiB
Views
File license

And obviously munchman

Screenshot-1.png
Filename
Screenshot-1.png
File size
3.28 KiB
Views
File license