VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mystery Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there one and all I just downloaded the dosbox hoping to have it help me play Lemmings L3D from the cd rom

I use windows xp sadly as much as I had to do with dos in the past I can not seem to work out what to do now

My L3D is in the D:\ drive so can you tell me exactly how to get Lemmings to work reply soonest sincerely Vikki

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like it's because you are running it from the CD. The game needs to write some temp files and is trying to write to the same directory as the game - in other words, the CD. Try to run it from your hard drive.

Reply 2 of 12, by Mystery Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is the best reply I have had so far off all the places I posted to on this query

I insert the disk and open D: then click on L3D.exe but all I get is a black dos window that doesnt stay long and closes off

I have checked and unchecked all the options so the dos window is meant to stay open but sadly it does not

Only when I right click and select run as and choose my profile do I get this error message that I attached in previous E-mail

If you think you can really help me then by all means reply direct to my E-mail vikkit@alphalink.com.au

Also what commands do I type @ the dosbox prompt in order to see if it will work help help sincerely Vikki

Reply 3 of 12, by Locash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found an old copy i had of this and gave it a whirl. First off it doesnt appear to work with Dosbox it cant detect the EMS manager and quits out. I think you will have to wait for a later version of Dosbox before it will work this way.

I also tried VDMSound, this allows the game to run but it seems slower than it should be and I could not get neither music or effects to work.

This game seems really picky but if you dont mind playing without any sound VMDsound is the way to go. You can download it from here http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

Reply 4 of 12, by Mystery Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well at 9 AM after just waking up that message was a bit confusing I will re read it later and hope to understand it better

The problem I am having is that I have no idea what commands to type and how to word them to see if dosbox will get my game working

If you or any one out there can help me I would appreciate it very much I am trying to run the game from the cd rom

Reply 5 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello Mystery Girl:

First of all you should read the readme file which contains important info on how to manipulate DOSBox. Then after running DOSBox, try the INTRO and HELP commands. In a nutshell, to be able to use a certain drive you've got to MOUNT it first...

1) If drive is a floppy one (A: or B:) -> mount a a:\ -t floppy
2) if drive is a hard-disk (or folder) -> mount c d:\mygames
3) if drive is a CD DVD ROM drive -> mount f f:\ -t cdrom

After mounting a drive you can use common ms-dos commands to navigate the filesystem.

- A drive letter followed by a colon, allows you to change to that drive Example: Z:\>C: [Enter]
will change you to C: drive (must be mounted first, of course) -> C:\>

- DIR command will display a list of files/sub-directories found
Please, keep us posted. Executable files can be .BAT .COM .EXE

- CD command will change to a directory (folder)
Example: CD DIR1 -> C:\DIR1\>

- CLS command will clear the screen.

P.S: Keep in mind that cd-rom and dvd-rom drives are READ-ONLY, that is, you cannot write anything to them, so if you intend to run a program or game, it will probably fail due to most of them need to write to disk, be it, configuration files, high-scores tables and so on.

P.S: Why men are so polite when talking to their female counterparts? 🤣! 😜

Reply 6 of 12, by Mystery Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I am at the D:\ I finaly got my d drive mounted that is I finaly mounted my cd rom

Gosh no matter which way I word this it sounds rude

Ok firstly is there a way I can install the game on my hard drive from the dos box

Secondly I have read the help files but still can not work out what to type tose if the game will play

May I suggest you mail me off the web using the E-mail I post from

So far you have been the most help oh and 😀 smiling right back at you Vikki

Reply 7 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes games need to be installed natively, that is, directly executed from a windows dos box (not to be mistaken for DOSBox - the emulator) and then "tweaked" from within DOSBox.

Reply 8 of 12, by Mystery Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I tried that before it kicks in and this is what it says

3D Lemmings - (c) CLOCKWORK GAMES 1995 V1.13 26/07/95 17:23:11
MSCDEX Version 2.21 detected
CD-ROM drive - D: utilised
MCGA/VGA adapter detected
VESA SVGA adapter detected : WinFast VGA BIOS.
No EMS memory manager detected

Is there any thing I can do oh and a big thank you to
every one who has offered help and advice

You have all been wonderful reply soon Vikki

Windows Xp Home Edition

Reply 9 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game is complaining there is no EMS (Expanded memory specification) manager installed. EMS is an ancient way of bypassing the old 640KB memory limitation on old PCs. You need to enable EMS memory in the PIF file that load your game. If there isn't one, just create a shortcut for it and edit its properties. Just put the EMS box in AUTO mode or select the biggest value available.

If you are trying VDMSound instead or running this game natively, edit properties and make sure EMS is enabled too. VDMSound shortcuts have the .VLP extension. Right click on them and select properties.

Good luck.

Reply 10 of 12, by Mystery Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have no idea how to do what you just told me how ever I once had some info

It was all about Device = c:\ and something about himem

This info explained how to change this so games and such would detect the EMS

If you have any idea what I mean and how to do this as I lost the info please let me know some one any one ?

Reply 11 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming you are inside DOSBox: Type CONFIG -writeconf dosbox.conf
This will create a file called dosbox.conf which is DOSBox configuration.
Exit DOSBox and edit it with notepad (it's just a text file, you may need notepad to show all files first, btw). Once inside this file, check for EMS value and edit it if needed. I think i have 32MB for both XMS and EMS. A value of 0 (zero) disables it.

Reply 12 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mystery Girl Oh I tried that before it kicks in and this is what it says

3D Lemmings - (c) CLOCKWORK GAMES 1995

Lemmings 3D has been a pain-in-the-butt to get running:
showthread.php?threadid=1581&highlight=Lemmings

You might have a motherboard-based EMS problem. Presuming you have VDMSound installed, create a file named GO.BAT and edit it to contain the single command:

MEM /C >VDMSMEM.TXT

then run it with VDMSound (right-click and choose Run with VDMS), it should create a text file called VDMSMEM.TXT and report something like the following:[code]Conventional Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
MSDOS 13184 ( 12.9K) 3380
KBD 3296 ( 3.2K) CE0
EMM 176 ( 0.2K) B0
HIMEM 1248 ( 1.2K) 4E0
COMMAND 3152 ( 3.1K) C50
FREE 112 ( 0.1K) 70
FREE 633984 (619.1K) 9AC80

Total FREE : 634096 (619.2K)

Upper Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
SYSTEM 180208 (176.0K) 2BFF0
MOUSE 12528 ( 12.2K) 30F0
DOSX 34720 ( 33.9K) 87A0
FREE 256 ( 0.3K) 100
FREE 34336 ( 33.5K) 8620

Total FREE : 34592 ( 33.8K)

Total bytes available to programs (Conventional+Upper) : 668688 (653.0K)
Largest executable program size : 633712 (618.9K)
Largest available upper memory block : 34336 ( 33.5K)

4194304 bytes total EMS memory
4194304 bytes free EMS memory

20971520 bytes total contiguous extended memory
0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
16628736 bytes available XMS memory
MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area
[/code]Paste your results here. You might end up having to shut off some motherboard devices in order to create more "Upper Memory".