VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HI all,

Iam new on this forum. I have registered because iam also love to play with old computers..
This is mij first rig..

BABY AT computer case with 275 watt PSU AT(bought new)
Gigabyte GA-6BA Motherboard with latest F1 bios
SIS 4mb PCI graphics card (replacement for my Diamond viper v770 32mb AGP
8GB TRANSCEND 400x of Compact flash with IDE -> CF adapter
Pentium II 266MHZ SLOT 1.
256GB of MEM SD-RAM PC100 / PC-133
3com 10/100mbit ethernet adapter
Delock COMBO card USB2.0 /ESATA / IDE / SATA
Creative Sound blaster AWE64 GOLD
ROLAND SCC-1 MIDI soundcard.

My question is>

On my motherboard i have an 2 pins turbo jumper.
My case having an 3 pins jumper.

How do i connect this to getter to let the turbo modus working?

Reply 1 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First I'd like to WELCOME you to Vogons! 😉

About the turbo connector, iirc the turbo connector on the cable has 2 wires with no wire in the middle one.
I think many boards either have 2 turbo led headers on the front panel thingy on the motherboard, or it has a header that you can connect both a 2-pin and 3-pin wire connector.

I'll go have a look at the manual of your board, brb! 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well now, this is odd. Apparently this board won't have a 3-pin-wide turbo cable. What you could do next is check if your case does have a 2-pin one, or simply don't connect it, or connect it to something else (I do the last one all the time 😉 ).

But perhaps someone else here has a better suggestion.
Anyway, link to the manual for PCB rev 1.0 (so others won't have to go look for the manual themselves):
http://oldweb.gigabyte.com.tw/support/user_pd … 1_may2198_q.pdf

Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My motherboard has PCB version 2.4
And i like to use the turbo switch, thats why i asking this.

The connector that comes from the turbo switch on my AT case has 3 wires from it.

My motherboard has an 2 pins jumper. So i want to connect it so i can use it.

Does somybody know the functions of those three wires? I think they where blue, black and white..

If i have some time this weekend i can maken some pictures..

Reply 4 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
My motherboard has PCB version 2.4 And i like to use the turbo switch, thats why i asking this. […]
Show full quote

The connector that comes from the turbo switch on my AT case has 3 wires from it.

I understand. The pcb revision usually doesn't matter when it comes to the frontpanel header layout and as you didn't mention your revision number, I kinda had to gamble 😜

There are a couple other options, but eh...well, see for yourself.

It may be possible to replace the entire turbo cable with another one that has a 2-pin connector. If the LED in the front of the case is unique (so you can't plug in a LED+cable from a scrapped computer case) you "could" simply replace the whole connector with a 2-pin one, though I don't know in how much you want to keep your case in it's original state. Some people will just mess around as they don't really care whilst some people want to change absolutely nothing and want to keep things as original as possible.

I don't know if an "3p to 2p adapter" exists (probably not) but it should be possible to create one, if you must keep things in it's original state.
The wires and the connector cable are really not that special, you could cut off a 2p connector from another case, cut the 3p connector from it's cable in your current case and just twist the wires, there, 2p connector 😉

Edit:

Robin4 wrote:
My motherboard has PCB version 2.4 And i like to use the turbo switch, thats why i asking this. […]
Show full quote

Does somybody know the functions of those three wires? I think they where blue, black and white..

If i have some time this weekend i can maken some pictures..

Ah for crying out loud, I missed this.

Have you tried simply putting the connector on your motherboard? It's impossible to fry a LED this way, it might simply work!

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 14, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that 3wire turbo button switches, are meant to be used in two ways. If you connect the first two cables it is going to be in turbo mode when turbo button is pressed. If you connect the second and the third, it is going to enable turbo when the turbo button is depressed.

Reply 7 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the Vintage Junkie club, Robin4! 😁

I always respect and value h-a-l-9000's electronics informations. 😀

Here's my "layman" experience with these turbo switches, pins, headers and wires. I really like tinkering with the Turbo switches and buttons. (A prime requisite for me when building an AT/Baby AT based motherboards! 😁)

About the turbo connector pins and connecting wires, I have used many boards which only have two pins. And almost all case turbo button connector wires are 3-headed. And many of these connecting wires come in few fixed colour combinations. Some come in yellow-gray-black, while some others come in orange-white-black. Some have green wires instead of orange or red and so on. (It's kind of confusing for me since I know nothing about these hardware electronics.)

But, I used to connect by shifting and/or twisting the connecting wires other way round,the 3-wire connectors on the 2-pin headers, and check with the becnhmark utilities to see if there is actually a slowdown or normal speed or not.

And I double check with the LED with the current connection, so that the current speed is reflected on the LED and the Turbo LED properly, for cosmetic sake.

It's easier with older boards which have reserved 3-pins for the turbo switch.

In the end, the 3-wire headers will connect and work properly with the 2-pins on the motherboard. It's just a matter of shifting one hole to the right or left, and/or turning it around and trying again.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok thank you, iam considering to wait with modifing, because i want to make an other older computer, thinking on an 386. And then put that board in this case..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 14, by josephjoecastle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😊
Hi...I m doing the same of you.. i mean i have my old pc -Board "755s71b" PC CHIPS...using an Intel Processor 600 Mh, RAM: 290 mb, Video 16 mb

but i have a similar problem... my case has a turbo swtich and a turbo led...
turbo switch has 3 wires (on / off turbo system)
Turbo led has 2 wires (Shows that turbo is on / off)
but actually i dont know how i can connect this wires... if you know please help...

I ll send you the Manual of my board.... thanks anyway

😵 😵 😵 😵

Attachments

• Filename
    755s71B.doc
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Downloads
    249 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This sort of processor sits on a mainboard that doen't have connectors for anything turbo. You maybe could abuse the turbo LED as network activity indicator...

1+1=10

Reply 11 of 14, by josephjoecastle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh I suppose it, thats ok ,,, however i can use my display of "133 mhz" for something or just turn it on... just to use it without specific use

Reply 12 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
josephjoecastle wrote:

oh I suppose it, thats ok ,,, however i can use my display of "133 mhz" for something or just turn it on... just to use it without specific use

Yes, you can. The display is basically that, just a display. It's not magically hooked to the computer, the display can be jumpered to display anything you want basically 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 14, by paulo_becas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to help out here's how it works with white/black/orange turbo switch when connecting to a two pin header on the motherboard.

White + black - Turbo off
orange + black - Turbo on

Hope this helps

AMD Am486/Am5x86-P75 DX5 133 Mhz-64Mb Ram
S3 Trio 64V2DX 2 Mb
Soundblaster AWE64 Gold+Music Quest+MT-32+MU80
LAN-3Com
1.44 3,5 Epson Drive+1.2 5,25 Mitsumi drive+Iomega Zip 256Mb
8gb HDD,4Gb CF HDD
HP CDRW 9200
http://jp-retro.blogspot.com

Reply 14 of 14, by spanner_man3