VOGONS

Common searches

Help...

Topic actions

First post, by Drakton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm following the step by step guide by firestorm 225, (excellent work, btw) but got this error: "No CD Rom installed. Sorry"
What can I do to solve this?
Apparently the game looks for the cd rom with the game in it, but can't find it.
Any help will be greately appreciated.
TIA

Reply 4 of 9, by Drakton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. That's exactly how I did it and now I got the game running. Two problems still:
1- It runs in a small window;
2- It runs very slow. I ctrl+f12 and ctrl+f8 but still runs very slow and with no voices. I got only music, but if irc, there were some spoken dialog also...

I can't believe the sense of nostalgia I felt when started to play this game!!!

Reply 6 of 9, by Drakton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. Now this happened to me.
I went to the dir where I have my game installed (Shadows Over Riva). I right click the icon and in the properties screens, in the program tab I chose maximized, and in the compatitility tab I chose run in 256 colors, and run in 640x480 resolution. The game now runs without dosbox, by just clicking the .exe file and it runs in full window and very smooth!!!
AAAhhhh... this is great.

Reply 8 of 9, by Drakton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the feeling that you are thinking this is a lie. Well, it's not. Now to tell the full story I first ran the game using dosbox. I saved one or two of those games. Later, I went to modify the configuration parameters I said before and ran the game directly from Windows. It started and automatically loaded the last savegame. Later I tried to built a new party and went to experiment a litlle, so I renamed the save directory. The game didn't run. I created the save directory (empty); the game didn't run. I copied some of the savegame files and the game ran perfectly.
That's my story, believe it or not.
All I know it's Im playing this game and enjoying it like it was the first time.

Reply 9 of 9, by Drakton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

*blink*
That's interesting, seeing as how it's impossible, since compatibility mode is for WINDOWS EXECUTABLES ONLY.

On the other hand, you may be right, somehow.
I returned the values I changed to the original ones, and surprise! the game ran, so it had nothing to do with the compatibility thing. More likely, it had to do somehow with the existence of some savegames.
Oh well... I really don't care as long as it keeps working 😀