VOGONS

First post, by Noiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First up, new version.. Woohoo!!!!

I was so excited about protected mode support cos it meant I might finally be able to play the original Need for Speed again... Alas it was not to be.

On trying to install the game I get a message saying:

"setstreamspeed - frontend\movielow\ea.tgv FILE IS TOO SMALL TO ESTIMATE DATA STREAM SPEED
Size is -8192. Require 20000."

I'm guessing it's trying to find out how fast the CDROM is but failing miserably. Not sure if it's fixable through the config, but I'm wondering if anyone's actually got it installed on a PC somewhere and is able to send me the files it makes (just a few config files), then it might be a nice workaround.

Soooo, if you can help, or if you've got the installer working on your machine then please let me know! Much appreciated 😀

Mike

Reply 2 of 6, by Noiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah that would makes sense but I think it has something to do with the video streaming in the game cos it required a 2x CD drive...

Thing is it does the same thing when running it direct from Windows, even though if I do a DIR it shows the right size.

I so wanna play this game too! Ah well, just wait some more I guess..

Mike

Reply 3 of 6, by firestorm225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the original Need For Speed from the PC Gamer Classic Games CD, and I downloaded the demo to try it out. It worked 😀 It was slow (the game requires a 486), but it did work 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by firestorm225

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, it'll definitely work. I just have a non-CD based version from PC Gamer magazine, so it was easier for me to get working. You should be able to find the demo for the original online if you want to try the game.

My specs are:

Athlon XP 1700+
GeForce4 TI4400 128mb
512mb ram

I cycled up until CPU usage was 95%, then frameskipped a bit. You could play through a level and drive reasonably well, but it is a bit slow. If your PC is faster you might have more luck.

Reply 6 of 6, by Noiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My PC's a little faster (an Athlon XP 1800+) but even if it's slow I'd like to see the old girl running again 😀

I'll try and find the demo tomorrow, maybe I'd be able to hack the demo's config files to work with the full game.... Hmmmmm!