VOGONS

SB pro card and cdrom drive.

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I have an sbpro2 sound card and a creative sb cd rom, it's the regular ide no scsi drive connection or anything, but I'm windering if I need to connect the cdrom cable to the back of the sb pro soundcard (see pic)
Wait, I noticed that the connector is diffrent from a standard ide cable
Okay, I found the proper cable, now I'm installing the drivers for the cdrom.
Well, when ever I put a cd in it and do cd d: then dir it says "not ready reading drive d" Then the old Abort, Retry, Fail? I have cleaned off the laser in the cdrom drive with a q-tip and I have inspedted the cd (Ultimate doom) and the cd reads fine in my laptop, the drivers are properly loaded for the, cdrom, the power and the data cable are securely inserted, what gives?
Also, I mean I have another cdrom dirve I can throw into hte system if this doesn't work, but I really want to have the matching pair of sb gear.
I forgot to mention it says CDR101 then the "Not ready reading" error.
SO, I'm guessing I have a dead drive just like this guy
Also, there were jumpers on the drive, with spots 1,2 and 3 the jumper was set to spot 1 does that mean master?
Okay, I have the original box and disketts, diskett 1 and 2 for the card and the diskett for the cdrom.Here, I will post pictures of the drive.
1002608c.jpg
1002609qp.jpg
1002610l.jpg
1002611e.jpg

1002612k.jpg

1002614y.jpg
I think it might be a sony cdrom, the driver diskette says no company it just says "Sound Blaster cd rom installation cdr 563 p/n 140201-4"
But, do I need to remove the old drivers and change the autoexec and config.sys?
Okay, I just didn't want to mess anything up/
Well, I;m going to take a break I have been working on this since 6 am.
I reinstalled everything and still no dice.
Yes, I am using THE DRIVE THAT CAME WITH THE CARD! it has the same propriety connector as the one on the card, I also used the cable that it had, I have the diskette it says "sound blaster cdrom installation"
It even says "sound blaster" on the front of the cdrom drive.

1002605v.jpg

Last edited by dosquest on 2011-07-04, 18:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 31, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day there where 3 standards. Philips, Sony and Panasonic.

Most Creative cards came with the Panasonic CD-Rom port.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 31, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, when ever I put a cd in it and do cd d: then dir it says "not ready reading drive d" Then the old Abort, Retry, Fail? I have cleaned off the laser in the cdrom drive with a q-tip and I have inspedted the cd (Ultimate doom) and the cd reads fine in my laptop, the drivers are properly loaded for the, cdrom, the power and the data cable are securely inserted, what gives?

Reply 13 of 31, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you're ignoring my questions, so I'm just going to ignore your posts since you won't help me help you

this is likely a simple problem with a simple solution, but will also likely turn into a huge thread like your SB16 debacle because you chose to not listen to people

Reply 14 of 31, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I am using THE DRIVE THAT CAME WITH THE CARD! it has the same propriety connector as the one on the card, I also used the cable that it had, I have the diskette it says "sound blaster cdrom installation"

Reply 16 of 31, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that doesn't fully answer my question
creative labs sold many different CD-ROM drives, just like sound cards

I don't care if the drive "came with the card"... this shit is nearly 20 years old, how do you know if the drive or drivers disks are really the same as what originally came from the factory when I'm 99% certain you bought this used?

somebody made the drive, and there's a model number and name for the drive... "sound blaster" doesn't tell me much other than creative labs sold it

you like to play this vagueness and disobeying instructions game like your SB16 thread, fine... but count me out... I don't have time for this
I like to help people, but not when my questions go ignored or answered poorly... it tells me that there's a lack of sincerity and respect to the person helping, which is very frustrating