VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, no really. Never benched it since it always ran fine so there was no need for troubleshooting etc. Maybe soon I'll plop in my ATi Rage Ultra 16mb and V3 16mb and do some benching, if I can get some spare time that is...

Reply 21 of 31, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

By chance do you know what was the average fps you got? All I would get would be in the 28-45 fps range depending on the card as far as lower meg cards were concerned, which was pretty cruddy. Knocking the res down to 800x600 always fixed the issue for me. Ive only bothered to run the game on a Geforce 3, Geforce 256, TNT 2, Rage 128 Pro OEM, and Banshee. The Geforce cards ran the game fine no matter what setting.

I can see the Banshee not running so great at 1024x768, it kinda was a poor mans voodoo2! I had a monster fusion when it was new and really didn't like the card.

What are you using to measure FPS? I'd love to see if it is really a FPS issue and not some driver or input lag from something in the system. Either way I don't think I'd complain if it was 28FPS minimum at 1024x768@75Hz.

Reply 22 of 31, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

I can see the Banshee not running so great at 1024x768, it kinda was a poor mans voodoo2! I had a monster fusion when it was new and really didn't like the card.

What are you using to measure FPS? I'd love to see if it is really a FPS issue and not some driver or input lag from something in the system. Either way I don't think I'd complain if it was 28FPS minimum at 1024x768@75Hz.

I used to use a old ver of Fraps. This was quite a few years back, during 2005 when I ended up with a slew of socket 370 and slot 1 systems to part out. High Stakes just happened to be one of those games I was using at the time to bench performance of stuff and make sure everything worked.

I honestly don't have issues with the Banshee itself at all. There are games that it runs faster then the Voodoo 2, and considering mine is paired with a Athlon XP 2400+, it handles Unreal and Quake 2 more then fast enough for me, so the multi texturing issue is not such a big deal at that point. Depending on the game, it can run most anything from that time period between 800x600 to 1024x768 fine in my Glide system.

Banshee scales well with faster cpus, and I don't care to pair it up with something like a slower Slot 1 PIII 550mhz cpus or anything, since I don't use anything that slow in my personal 3D gaming systems. You can see my Banshee system running here if you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWVfcSlUXc

As far as fps go, something like 28 fps on a driving game its not a serious issue unless its bouncing all over the place. Then it makes the feel of the game less smooth. There's nothing worse then sudden frame drops and stuttering.

Reply 23 of 31, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I have the exact same problem with my box:

AMD K6-2 500 MHz
Asus P5A
128 MB memory
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (STB) 16MB
ST320423A and ST340014A
Windows 98SE

Amigamerlin 2.9 is installed, also I installed the nfs4xp2eng patch:

-Windows XP support
-Improved effects
-best 3d Setup - no bugs
-fixed 1mb free space problem
-ver 4.50

I've also installed the official 4.50 patch

Also I've tried to run the game without any patching - it's aaalways choppy, especially at the beginning of a race when all the opponents are in front of me.
It doesn't make a big difference if i try it in 1024x768 or 800x600, the biggest difference is seen if i reduce effects and details to the absolute minimum.

what the heck, i remember i played that game on my P1 166mhz with voodoo 3 pci 16mb smoothly at 1024x768...

also: if sim tower runs in fast mode, the mouse is extremely laggy and the sound gets ugly like if the cpu can't keep up. but sim tower is a brutally old game...?

nfs 3 and nfs 2 se run perfectly, also future cop LAPD or GTA (dos mode). n.i.c.e 2 runs also very good.
Midtown Madness 2 is very slow, even at 800x600 and low detail settings.

can you give me an advice where i can start measuring and troubleshooting? I could really use some benchmark comparison values too, very hard to find that these days.

thanks!

Reply 24 of 31, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To run this game (and almost all EA games with the glide support) with the glide API - set thrash driver="voodoo2", thrash resolution="640x480", group="3Dfx" (by the way, there is at least 1 game that is case sensitive to this value. So - use capital D) and hardware acceleration="1". The trouble is - EA (and some others developers) uses device_id/vendor_id to detect Voodoo. And this detection fails in WinXp. The detection works ok in Win9x through.
You can use .regs from nGlide compatibility list for this.
And yes, don't enable triple buffering, this will create the broken config file and you get error when the game restarts.
AFAIR 1024x768 mode not uses z-buffering and slow/have glitches because of it.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 25 of 31, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:
To run this game (and almost all EA games with the glide support) with the glide API - set thrash driver="voodoo2", thrash resol […]
Show full quote

To run this game (and almost all EA games with the glide support) with the glide API - set thrash driver="voodoo2", thrash resolution="640x480", group="3Dfx" (by the way, there is at least 1 game that is case sensitive to this value. So - use capital D) and hardware acceleration="1". The trouble is - EA (and some others developers) uses device_id/vendor_id to detect Voodoo. And this detection fails in WinXp. The detection works ok in Win9x through.
You can use .regs from nGlide compatibility list for this.
And yes, don't enable triple buffering, this will create the broken config file and you get error when the game restarts.
AFAIR 1024x768 mode not uses z-buffering and slow/have glitches because of it.

hi

unfortunately all the registry settings were ok, also setting resolution (ingame) to 800x600 or 640x480 didn't help... triple buffering isn't enabled in registry...

Reply 26 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only use the original DX 6.0 or DX 6.1 Driver. Newer Versions have Problems with some Games.
My machine K6-III+ @FSB66 Multi 2-6. Win95b DX 8 installed. Everything runs fine and smooth
with my AGP V3-3000.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 27 of 31, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:

I only use the original DX 6.0 or DX 6.1 Driver. Newer Versions have Problems with some Games.
My machine K6-III+ @FSB66 Multi 2-6. Win95b DX 8 installed. Everything runs fine and smooth
with my AGP V3-3000.

thanks for your reply! so according to you, if I use v1.00.00 to v1.03.00-dx6 (there's dx6 and dx7 version von 1.03.00) from http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo3.htm everything should run smoothly?
should it be enough to put the glide*.dll/ovl files from these older drivers into the game directory?

could it be that win98se is causing the issues and with 95b everything would be ok? can't imagine that...

i think i have dx9 already installed because of some game which then didn't work anyway (obviously) but according to my information this shouldn't be a problem...?

may I ask (beg) you to run some benchmarks on memory, cpu, graphics card, hdd, ... with for instance sisoft sandra or any other tools so that i have something to compare and start searching the cause of my performance issue? that would be reeally great!

Reply 28 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NFS4 is a DX5? Game, I tested it Yesterday with my K6-III+/400ATZ and it ran quite well in 1024*768.
I got freezes while playing when I activate the Tripple-Buffering-Option. Without Trippe-Buffering it
ran stable.

I patched the game to 4.5 and deactivate the CD-Check (copy AUDIO+VIDEO from CD to HDD)

Due to the fact of continues reading the CD for copy-protection and audio it is possible that your stuttering
comes from the CD-Reading? (DMA-Transfer not activated?)

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 29 of 31, by Metallian1988

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone! Sorry for necroposting and bad english, but i have the same problem with my stb voodoo 3 2000 agp. I have tested that game with different configs - Duron 1300 + Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 and Pentium III + Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X-P. In both configs i used aureal vortex 1, windows 98se, virtual clonevdrive and have tried different versions of drivers and direct x, but result was the same - massive frameskipping, especially on Kindiak Park track. Can it be a hardware problem, or i should try another way? Btw, i have installed fan on voodoo's heatsink, but nothing(.

Reply 30 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should start a new thread for your problem. Also note that you should ask this in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems, not old systems or old Operating Systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers