VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 240 of 276, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ There were a couple of different versions of Duke 1. It was originally Nukem before they changed it to Nukum, then they changed it back to Nukem for DN2.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 241 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know there are Nukum versions of Duke 1, but I got a lucky copy, I guess.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 242 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duke Nukem Forever Will Hurt Take-Two's Profits, Says Analyst

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111 … ts-Says-Analyst

How long before used copies of DNF are selling for $4.99 at Gamestop?

Reply 243 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just let me know when it hit's the $2.50 mark.

$4.99 is still too expensive to kill pigs in LAPD uniform and to blow up toilets. 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 244 of 276, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

Guys DSP has done a marvelous job of explaining his truth on the matter. And yes, I have known about DSP, from back when his youtube channel was Darksydephil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th2z0xT-X5s

There is a lot I agree with him about, and some things I don't. The one underwater room area he mentioned, after the turbine room, where enemies ambush you, you do have to slowly approach with a powerful weapon, or they overwhelm you quickly. That prob was the most cheap part of the game really.

As far as him saying he needed certain weapons and the holoduke item for certain battles, I didn't need them and had no prob passing those areas. In fact, I felt hindered by the shrink ray, so I only used it a couple of brief times in the game initially, and never used the holoduke at all, not once. The gameplay was pretty balanced, except I felt that the boss battles were a bit too easy.

Graphically, I cant really say the game looks "modern" and "great", at least as far as 2011 visuals go for PC. The game visually looks a lot like a headliner title more from 2006/2007. Pretty much reminded me a lot of a souped up version of Prey visually. Some things were rendered just a bit too blocky, low detailed, etc, to be able to compete with 2010/2011 fps visuals. It in no way looks terrible on PC, just not great. More like pretty good over all, with a few roughs spots here and there and a few parts that look great compared to the rest of the game.

As far as bugs go, I never ran into any I can recall off the top of my head. The game never crashed or anything, and I didn't run into mouse sensitivity issues like some had complained about having.

As far as pacing goes, the being shrunk platforming stuff kinda hurt things for me. I found myself being pretty bored during those moments. The normal puzzle stuff didn't bother me any, and the driving parts, were well done, though not awesome.

If I was going to rate the game, I'd say B- or C+ at worse. Its a pretty good game, but not what I'd consider a classic. Fun for one play through at least, though I don't think I will play through it again.

Reply 245 of 276, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

I was brave during the summer steam sale. Didn't buy a single game 🤣

Still got heaps of games from the previous Xmas and Easter sales and they will only get even cheaper anyway. Plus I simply have no time at the moment...

So I'm looking forward to DNF when it's on sale. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Reply 247 of 276, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
I was brave during the summer steam sale. Didn't buy a single game LOL […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

I was brave during the summer steam sale. Didn't buy a single game 🤣

Still got heaps of games from the previous Xmas and Easter sales and they will only get even cheaper anyway. Plus I simply have no time at the moment...

So I'm looking forward to DNF when it's on sale. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

YES, you are a brave one indeed, I could not help myself and loaded up on both new and older games I didn't already own.

I got an indie title named Capsized, harkens back to the good old side-scroller days of the Amiga 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 248 of 276, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've finished the single player, and am just over half-done with a second runthrough on Come Get Some.

The good:
* It's been too long since I played a shooter that actually gave me a minute to breathe and soak in the ambience. The pacing benefits tremendously.
* The gunplay's satisfying, and nearly all of the guns are useful in the right circumstances.
* The enemies are well-balanced, the environments are well-realized, and it's FULL of interactivity and easter eggs.
* The writing ranges from bearable to genuinely funny, most of the time.
* Defenses arguing that too many modern games have become barely interactive movies are well-founded. At least Duke does his own dirty work.
* It's HARD, and doesn't hold your hand very often. On the other hand, it's rarely difficult to the point of being unfair.
* The Incredible Shrinking Duke sections are fun and well-conceived.
* I LOVE the Mighty Foot driving sections.
* Most of the sound design is good to great.
* Generally good creature design. The Battlelord looks like something Ray Harryhausen would make for a space opera. <3
* Terrific boss fights. The "Area clear!" exclamation from that poor soldier had me on the floor.
* Jon St. John's voice work is consistently good, especially in multiplayer.
* Multiplayer's fun as hell and very tight.

The bad:
* The level design is too linear, too much of the time. It also suffers from an occasional lack of clarity: "where do I go now?" is a question I asked a few too many times during my first runthrough.
* Too many puzzles, given the nature of the game. Cut the number in half, and it'd be a lot stronger. In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't like the puzzles in the Half-Life games either.
* Some of the writing's weak. Some of it's really weak.
* Many of the graphics are inconsistent in quality. Some pieces look nearly new; some look about on par with Quake 4; a few look earlier than that.
* The swimming sections are tense and unusual in a modern shooter, but tend toward being frustrating. Being mobbed by baby octobrains underwater while coming around a blind corner was a low point.
* The strip club dream sequence level, which feels like padding and throws off the game's momentum. The funny gags hidden throughout don't quite make up for it.
* Some iffy collision detection rears its head in vehicle sections. A little fine-tuning would have fixed this.
* There's a vein of ugly, humorless sexism in The Hive that doesn't suit this game at all.
* The music's generally not memorable. I remember it being there, but almost nothing specific about it.
* Parts of the game feel like a retread of Duke Nukem 3D.

The ugly:
* Character animation and voice acting are inconsistent, and sometimes veer into territory that wouldn't be acceptable a decade ago.
* The Holsom twins are completely worthless - as characters, as plot devices, and even as eye candy.
* Why can't I tip the strippers? That's like shipping a game with Sean Connery and forgetting the Scottish accent!

The inconsistency of execution and some dated design and visual elements make for an uneven experience, but the good parts redeem it. I'd give it a solid 7/10 to the single player, and an 8/10 for the multiplayer. If only the system requirements were a bit lower for what you got... but bludgeoning Unreal Engine 1.x into doing everything on display here was going to be a bumpy ride from a technical standpoint anyhow.

Reply 249 of 276, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can tip the strippers, but they have to be in the right spot (in front of the pole on stage), and you youself have to be in the right spot, and you have to be pointing at the right spot, AND they have to be in the right animation set or it won't work even though the button says it can. >_>;

That particular map could've used some more QA time.

BTW: Ever since Steam updated their client just a couple days ago, my loading times in DNF were cut down by a solid 75%. They're still long, on the order of 15 to 20 seconds for me, but that's still better than some of the other games I have, and still better than full minutes long, half of which had no disk access.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 250 of 276, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with most of what was said above. However I found the gunplay to be a little disappointing - firstly you can only carry 2 guns at a time - this is supposed to be Duke, a walking armoury. Most of the other weapons had so little ammo you end up swapping with the 3 basic weapons for most of the game. To be honest I found the RPG and Railgun quite satisfying but since there's so little ammo in the game you didn't get to use them much, and most of the other weapons were only for short sequences or boss fights. The ripper felt fairly weak and the shotgun was ok at close range but for most of the game the enemeies weren't close enough for it to be effective. I found the pistol was the best gun for pig cops/alien trooper mobs so thats what I ended up using the most.

That whole Alien hive level would have been better off left out of the game entirely.
The strip club level definitely needed more polish, and some of the lines spouted by the strippers made me facepalm.

I dunno, sure there were strippers/trapped women in the first game but they never said anything. In this game all women are presented as vapid nympho sluts.
I think George Broussard has a lot to answer for.

This game is why I swapped from my Apogee avatar....

Reply 251 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some improvements are coming to DNF game in the form of a patch.
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread. … 571#post2422571

The development team has been hard at work combing through the feedback provided here and elsewhere, with updates based on this feedback currently in the works for all three platforms.

Among the changes coming to PC are a new expanded inventory option that allows you to carry up to four weapons in the single-player campaign, Valve Anti-Cheat System (VAC) support, push-to-talk voice chat, the ability to adjust FOV plus other fixes and improvements that are still being tested.

We’ll be sharing more details about the updates, including those coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as they’re finalized. Thanks again for your support!

I hope one of the improvements is a multi-game save system. Even if it's still check-point based this game needs multiple game slots.

My Github

Reply 252 of 276, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those all sound good but it won't make me sit through the game again.

Those features should have been in at launch.

Reply 254 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some info on the new multiplayer DLC coming soon. Like leileilol said, it's full of a bunch of parodies of other games. Each new map comes with a special unique weapon. There are also new multiplayer modes. Some of the games it parodies are Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2 (with a map called 2Fort1Bridge), and others. The unique weapon for the TF2 parody map is a minigun which looks....fittingly unmistakably familiar. Also, First Access Club members who preordered the game get this DLC for free.

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/new-duke-nukem-fo … arters-august-4

twofortscreenshot1720.jpg
townscreenshot1720.jpg

My Github

Reply 256 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Single player DLC is also coming later on.

I've never understood the fascination with focusing on multiplayer so much, though.

My Github

Reply 257 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Some improvements are coming to DNF game in the form of a patch. http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread. … 571#post2422571 […]
Show full quote

Some improvements are coming to DNF game in the form of a patch.
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread. … 571#post2422571

The development team has been hard at work combing through the feedback provided here and elsewhere, with updates based on this feedback currently in the works for all three platforms.

Among the changes coming to PC are a new expanded inventory option that allows you to carry up to four weapons in the single-player campaign, Valve Anti-Cheat System (VAC) support, push-to-talk voice chat, the ability to adjust FOV plus other fixes and improvements that are still being tested.

We’ll be sharing more details about the updates, including those coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as they’re finalized. Thanks again for your support!

I hope one of the improvements is a multi-game save system. Even if it's still check-point based this game needs multiple game slots.

I don't see how anyone can write a game without that feature. What happens if you are a parent and have 2 or 3 kids who will be playing the game. Only one can save their game and come back to it later? That's unacceptable.

Reply 258 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Strange how developers lately add stuff to multi-player after the single-player campaign gets poor reviews. Are they that out of touch?

Because single player doesn't make them any more money.They want people to pay month after month to keep playing on the multiplayer servers so they try to draw them into that. A guy who buys the game then sit home and plays it by himself doesn't make them any money beyond the initial purchase. They also want the people who buy used games to pay up for online access because they don't make any money at all from them.

Reply 259 of 276, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

A guy who buys the game then sit home and plays it by himself doesn't make them any money beyond the initial purchase.

A guy who is fed up with minimal effort put unto a single player story and stops buying their games doesn't make them any money at all.