VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 52769, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of water. Colorado has the best water in the us. They bottle it and sell it AS-IS. there are no rivers that run INTO colorado, they all flow out. Everyone else drinks our piss. *Evil cackle*

but seriously, Water doesnt hurt electronics. Unless you are using paper somewhere... But if you live in a place that has humidity, I've heard using shallow tub of rice and putting it in the oven at the lowerst setting makes things quick.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 541 of 52769, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today and yesterday I had a couple good hauls.

Yesterday I bought a big-azz Aztech 16bit ISA sound card, a Virge/DX PCI (made in '99) and a Trio because it had 4 socketed memory chips.

And today I did a trade. I traded in 8 dead graphics cards for 3 old computers.
I never expected to ever find one of these, let alone 3 of them! 😁

Some more pics:
Front
The really nice looking case

And I finally got my revenge for having blown up my SP3 last year!! 😁

And what the heck is a Sound Machine?

Not bad for 8 dead graphics cards, I'm glad I never tossed these out L O L!

The only bad thing is that on the other 486 board, the battery has already started leaking on the PCB so I should clean it up very soon now.

Btw, the full tower had a standard VX board in it, which was nothing special.

But it did house a whopping 89 meg harddrive! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 542 of 52769, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

These three empty sockets hint at a Sound Blaster 2.0 clone. Very cool!

I bet it has an OPL2, and all the jumpers of a SB 2.0.

AFAIK Creative allowed others to make 2.0 cards for a short while...

Awesome trade. Any reason he wanted these video cards?

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2011-07-15, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 543 of 52769, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He wants to nail em all to the wall 😜

Edit:The cases and the SP3 were the best things amongst them. There are some other interesting items (first time I get my hands on a VLB IDE controller with 2 connectors instead of one), but the graphics cards aren't anything special. Just some random oak and another Tseng.
The CPU is a random Intel DX4 of the really common kind.
What made this so special (and smile for hours on end 😁 ) is that I got 3 of these cases now, in 2011, without having to sell a kidney or something 😀

I think when I walk into the living room tomorrow morning, I'll get a BIG 😁 on my face 😁 😁 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 545 of 52769, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

It's a Quickshot rebrand of the SB2.0. See this thread.

Cheers for the link!

Report spammers here!

Reply 546 of 52769, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just about finished buying some 3Dfx cards. Yesterday I received a Powercolor Voodoo 4 4500 AGP card. Hard to say but most people say it won't work on AGP 1.5v even though it has the notch built in. Either way it gets pretty hot when running but works none the less. It the smaller L shaped V4 4.5k which is neat.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 547 of 52769, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Just about finished buying some 3Dfx cards. Yesterday I received a Powercolor Voodoo 4 4500 AGP card. Hard to say but most people say it won't work on AGP 1.5v even though it has the notch built in. Either way it gets pretty hot when running but works none the less. It the smaller L shaped V4 4.5k which is neat.

That's a good buy! Iirc this one might actually work in a 8x AGP slot?

Report spammers here!

Reply 549 of 52769, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

here's a link to the auction, I haven't found another picture about this model, its like a 210-0431-01 IIRC. I haven't found a definite answer says yes/no on AGP8X. Reading over at 3dfxzone.it says it may run but burnout after awhile. Mine makes incredible heat on my ASUS CUSCL2-CB.

Reply 550 of 52769, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't risk burning such a card anyway. V4's aren't exactly all over the place

Report spammers here!

Reply 551 of 52769, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

I wouldn't risk burning such a card anyway. V4's aren't exactly all over the place

Yeah, they're actually rarer than the V5's.

If one goes 3dfx, then the card needs to go into an appropriate motherboard with universal AGP, or one needs to go with a PCI version. Killing old 3dfx cards is tantamount to sacrilege.

Reply 552 of 52769, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

If one goes 3dfx, then the card needs to go into an appropriate motherboard with universal AGP, or one needs to go with a PCI version. Killing old 3dfx cards is tantamount to sacrilege.

They may be rarer but the performance is horrible. GF2MX and Radeon VE kill it. I'd get one for completeness, but not for actual use as I have better cards from the same time period.

Reply 553 of 52769, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

They may be rarer but the performance is horrible. GF2MX and Radeon VE kill it. I'd get one for completeness, but not for actual use as I have better cards from the same time period.

Their performance should be along the lines of the V3 3500 I guess...not what I would call horrible. When it comes to old hardware, performance is all relative 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 554 of 52769, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, don't really have plans on using it on AGP 8x, I have a PCI Voodoo 5 5500 if I want to go with a faster setup. Really bought it so I have atleast 1 card for every series except Rush/Banshee.

For the speed of the card. It is good for about 80% of the Glide games released. I put my modded Voodoo 3 3000 AGP back in though as some games need less tweaking to work right on it.

Glide games I'm playing don't need a ton of power at 1024x768 anyways.
Powerslide
Need For Speed 2/3/4
Dethkarz
Rollcage Stage II
Unreal

Also love voodoo's compatiblity for other games I want to try out like
Hunter Hunted
Toonstruck
Interstate '82
ZPC
Duke Nukem
Doom
Full Throttle

Reply 555 of 52769, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
sliderider wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

Their performance should be along the lines of the V3 3500 I guess...not what I would call horrible. When it comes to old hardware, performance is all relative 😉

Compared to the cards they were competing against at the time, the performance is really bad. A GF2MX is almost twice as fast in most games of the time. A Radeon VE isn't nearly that fast but still outperforms the V4 in just about everything by a good margin. These are budget cards, though, so nobody expects stellar performance from them, but the V4 was just off the map even compared to the bottom end cards from nVidia and ATi.

Reply 556 of 52769, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tend to view these as "How can they perform today?" and don't tend to compare with only cards their own age. That's kinda the same to me as having to build a period correct machine or something

Report spammers here!

Reply 557 of 52769, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These arrived today:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

3 bucks shipped. 🤣

Allows you to hook up an IDE drive into a SATA mainboard or a SATA drive into an IDE mainboard.

But it has a HDD size limit of 160. I tried a WD 250 and Seagate 320 (smallest I have) and when preparing the drive with the WD and Seagate utility it stuffs up.

SATA DVD Burner works fine though!

I think this is more useful in getting data off old IDE drives using a current system that doesn't have IDE anymore.

Reply 558 of 52769, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

I tend to view these as "How can they perform today?" and don't tend to compare with only cards their own age. That's kinda the same to me as having to build a period correct machine or something

How can they perform today compared to what? A modern day video card? Is that even a fair comparison to make? Can a GF2MX perform as well as a GTX460? Can a Rage Pro perform as well as HD5770? You can't compare a retro/vintage card to cards that came later because time and technology move forward. You can't play modern games or run modern benchmarks on old video cards, so how do you compare them? The only valid comparisons you can make are against cards of their own time with similar capabilities because there are no comparable cards being made today.

Reply 559 of 52769, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Woah only $3 for a SATA <-> IDE converter I think I payed about $15 for one at the computer fair a few years ago ah well.
I used it because I at the time upgraded to a new motherboard with only 1 IDE port and had 3 IDE drives I wanted to plug in so that was cheaper then buying SATA drives or an IDE card

My thoughts are a long the lines of will the video card run the games I want at a suitable frame rate if so then it is good enough for what I want.
If the 486DX2 I have here was something that I could really play around with instead of someone elses then I might decided to switch that realtek video card with something decent but its fine for what its used for.