VOGONS

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the forums there are a few nice threads about what games are voodoo1 only or glide games
and things like that, do you happen to know what DOS games don't run on a voodoo1 by default
as well as which don't run on voodoo2 (but can be made to run by environment variables and stuff)?

Do you have archimedean dynasty/schleichfahrt? Does it work completely fine on both cards?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't we have a thread about this some time before?

If I am not mistaken the only game that absolutely requires a Voodoo 1 (and not a Voodoo 2) is Super EF2000.

Reply 2 of 11, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also Fatal Racing and some versions of Tomb Rider do not run on V2.

Any game (including Archimedean Dynasty) that uses glide2x.ovl (which can be swapped for Voodoo2 version) should work with V2. If glide is statically compiled in the main executable then it probably won't work.

I have never heard of a game that would require V2 but not work on V1 (maybe some later stuff that would require multitexturing or something like that? But most certainly would not be a DOS game).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Didn't we have a thread about this some time before?

If I am not mistaken the only game that absolutely requires a Voodoo 1 (and not a Voodoo 2) is Super EF2000.

Battle Arena Toshinden (with 3dfx patch) - statically linked voodoo calls. So - Voodoo 1 only.
Whiplash (3dfx patch) - the same issue, AFAIR.
Tomb Raider have 2 3dfx patches. One is the Voodoo 1 only.
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries 3dfx edition - not 100% sure.

Reply 5 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought there was only one Glide game that ran on the original Voodoo Graphics that absolutely wouldn't work on any later Voodoo card no matter what you did to make it work. I can't remember the name now but it was mentioned in another thread recently. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Edit: Was it Dreams to Reality, maybe?

Reply 6 of 11, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

I thought there was only one Glide game that ran on the original Voodoo Graphics that absolutely wouldn't work on any later Voodoo card no matter what you did to make it work. I can't remember the name now but it was mentioned in another thread recently. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Edit: Was it Dreams to Reality, maybe?

Yes, that's the one.

I think the others are all manageable but some require a lot of tooth pulling. I've not tried them all though so I can't say with certainty.

Reply 10 of 11, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really? I played and finished that game about 2 years ago, on my Voodoo 1 rig, in DOS protected mode even. Played flawlessly.

F2bnp, you might check to make sure if you're using the most up to date glide drivers.