VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello, trying to get this to work with DOSBox 0.74 and running the CD-ROM version. The game just freezes at certain points with Soundblaster for Music and Sound effects. I tried removing the music and it didn't. Typically it freezes at a certain point in the intro where a cat drops a bottle which gets smashed in pieces and a sound effect plays (along with the music). The game freezes in game as well. It has an option in the setup menu, to use or not use EMS memory which doesn't seem to do anything really...

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I remember this problem being reported for this game, so I did a search on "lost and files and sherlock and holmes" in the DOSBox Games/Apps section, and there it was. Useful thing, that search...
Re: Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel Error

At any rate, you can kind of work around the problem with loadfix, but you still might run into the problem in various places. You'll have to use an SVN build to avoid the problem entirely.

Reply 2 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, standard DOSBox 0.74 can't even play intro if "sound blaster" is selected as the device for sound. "Unable to install driver for some reason".
With the SVN based DOSBox - can't recreate your glitch, the game is playing perfectly...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 4, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can download svn based build here: http://ykhwong.x-y.net . For this game I recommend MT-32 music that this build also support through emulator Munt. But the MT-32 ROMs images are not included, you will need to get them separately and put it into the build directory.

Reply 4 of 4, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jiri wrote:

You can download svn based build here: http://ykhwong.x-y.net . For this game I recommend MT-32 music that this build also support through emulator Munt. But the MT-32 ROMs images are not included, you will need to get them separately and put it into the build directory.

Thanks, it worked 😁!