Common searches

Anyone Play minecraft?

Topic actions

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've recently been bitten by the minecraft bug and I setup my own private survival multi-player server on my dual xeon setup.

I cant get any of my "family" to play and I thought I would see if I can find some RESPONSIBLE adults and get them hooked too.

co-ui.com is the "address" The world is only a week old, I have a nice base/mine/farm but its kinda lonely. If nothing else i'd like to see if a dual 3.8ghz xeon is enough for a proper server.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 35, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I messed around a little with it but got bored to a certain degree.

I think it's an interesting concept however so who knows, I may pick it up again and play some more.

I do feel that it could become very addictive for some folks 😀

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 2 of 35, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Minecraft is pretty much my favorite modern game. I'm running a server as well, although it is private because some idiotic little kids liked to target it a while back. Dumped lava and destroyed everything, so I had to restore from a backup a few times and got annoyed, so I just set up a white list of usernames of people I knew. Regarding server performance, dual Xeons should be more than enough... I'm running mine on a humble old 2Ghz dual-core Athlon 64. The only real bottleneck is my ISP's low upload rate, but it can support 4-5 players comfortably.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 3 of 35, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried it out and got bored with it. Thought I'd make a house with secret passages leading to a minecart system but some of it needed slime or gold to work properly. I couldn't find either and the game didn't offer anything else to hold my interest.

Reply 4 of 35, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Love Minecraft. I'm currently playing the fanmade Aether mod which is fantastic. It adds more to Minecraft than what's already in it. It's like an expansion.

Gold is quite deep in the world. And slime comes from...er...slimes. They only exist in large open caverns deep underground as well.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 6 of 35, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. Finish what you're doing now. Because once you go to the Aether you're not coming back. I mean, you can, but you'll want to stay. As not much of anything from the surface world (regular Minecraft) works in the Aether and even less vice versa. About the only useful things are armous, shears (for sheep in both realms), and saddles (for flying pigs and tamed Moa Birds). Oh, and arrows. Weapons work too.

Aside from that the Aether is really just more interesting and, dare I say, complete than vanilla Minecraft. There are extra weapons, items, and dungeons that all do different and unique things (such as a weapon called the Hammer of Notch). Also, there are 3 types of dungeons in the Aether and all of them are much more sophisticated than a regular Minecraft dungeon.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 7 of 35, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Minecraft is kinda bittersweet for me.

Now don't get me wrong, I LIKE Minecraft. On the one hand, it's a fun, highly addictive game where you're encouraged to build things and explore a massive world. It allows the capacity to build all sorts of stuff if you're willing to delve into its mechanics and learn the best ways to find all the rare stuff. Once "Creative" mode is returned in the coming updates, people who just want to build stuff won't have to spend hours exploring first, but the exploring will still be there all the same.

On the other hand, I had an idea for a game almost just like this one back in 2005... so I'm kinda mad at myself for not at least attempting to make it... >_>;

After seeing the success of Terraria though, (which is also a fun game), I have a newfound hope for my idea since it seems any block-based, world construction/deconstruction game has a chance so long as it retains a level of originality, so I'm really considering a sudden gear change with my programming projects so that, besides ADG, all of my side work goes into this idea.

That said, speaking as a programmer, some of the updates to Minecraft have broken things in ways that just don't make sense. I mean, one particular update made it impossible for clay to generate unless a particular two block-coordinates matched. Another update added auto-saving every three seconds which was fine for most people, but for me, it caused my framerate to stutter like clockwork every 3 seconds, so for the moment I have to use a mod that allows me to change the auto-save rate to something less noticable. (I have it set to 3 minutes.) I can forgive problems like this since Minecraft is still in beta, and I bought it knowing it was still beta, but I'm worried that when v1.0 hits, there will still be too many bugs and people who buy in will start requesting refunds, especially since the classic version on the website has virtually no relation to the full version anymore, using far less memory, CPU and GPU power, and thus can't be used as a reference to know if the full game will work properly or not. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 35, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@gemini000

I tend to be the same way. I don't LIKE the monsters, but dealing with them is something that I actually find entertaining. Crapping your pants because a creeper snuck up on you and blew a chunk out of the side of your building does piss me off. But a game without some sort of antagonist doesnt have any real appeal to me. Sure I can do the creative mode on alpha, but I get a certain satisfaction of making elaborate rube-goldberg-esque redstone devices to kill them!

Half the fun is making a freaking huge open mine pit to have the resources to make the huge towers!

Reply 10 of 35, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing since Beta 1.2, and it's a pretty nice game. Since it's a sandbox game there's always something to do. Also, if you get bored there's always mods to play around with.

Btw, why isn't anyone joining the server? So far only I and Bob have played.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 11 of 35, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I finally got my sister into the game. Its funny to watch her jump when a spider jumps off a top of a tree and maul her!

HA!

I have my eyes set on 3 other people and only time will tell.

Reply 14 of 35, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My server is still up and running, but we have a new map for 1.8.1 Its an OPEN server, meaning it doesn't check your username. *wink wink* That being said, I did go out yesterday and pay for the game, but I'm leaving it open for my family who are still sitting on the fence.

Just put co-ui.com into the server browser!

Reply 15 of 35, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The server is still online! I'm using this seed: http://www.minecraftseeds.info/2011/10/d74g0n.html

me and my family moved into the npc village and are pretty setup. there are 3-4 other people that occasionally show up but its pretty slow.

co-ui.com

Reply 17 of 35, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thought I would perform a zombie resurrection on this thread. My server is still running to this day. co-ui.com I have an (almost) real time web map located here: co-ui.com:8123 However I am running a mod pack currently. I've been playing the latest tekkit lite pack.

Reply 18 of 35, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ tried connecting but I can't , there is a 1.4.7 version showing with a red X next to it... Join Server is grayed out too... running an updated legit version ofcourse...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website