VOGONS

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently purchased a gainbery 586 120 cpu off ebay.

This is an exerpt from the seller

The item comes in original retail box and has never been used. It is assumed to be in perfect working order but given its age is being offered as a collectable only.

This is what I received

IMG_2663.jpg

Now its obviously been used or taken out of its package, whats worse is their is at least one broken pin.... And I paid WAY too much money for a "collectable only" item, I sent an email requesting a refund.

ON 2nd thoughts, the above photo shows the gainbery on the left(IBM branded which Im pretty sure is a cyrix 586, on the right is a cyrix 5x86-100.

I guess the cpu is attatched to some kind of voltage regulator board thing, their does appear to be a voltage regulator on the side of the adapter package.

Would the cpu simply unhook from the adapter?

This is a bummer either way, I cant use the cpu because my mainboards voltage regulator is faulty and only woks in 5v mode, if the gainbery package was in good working order I could've set the mainboard jumpers for 5V, cyrix 5x86 settings and the uprade cpu would regulate the voltage down to 3.3V??

What should I do?

Reply 1 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

arghh...damn Ebay sellers, give him a fat, negative feedback or demand a full refund

I'd get a seperate 5v->3.5V CPU adapter and use the CPU, I think you can carefully pry out the cpu from the adapter

800px-Voltage_converter_for_80486_dx4_processors_2007_03_27.jpg

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 40, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I talked to the seller and he was adament that the cpu was perfect before he sent it, their were pictures that showed the cpu to be fine but he did'nt have the cpu secured in its plastic packaging, anyway I told him that I wanted to keep the cpu but I wanted a discount to which he agreed.

I successfully removed the cpu from the voltage regulator, I removed the "gainbery cpu maximizer" label from the cpu.

IMG_2667.jpg

And it reveals some curious lettering on the cpu

IMG_2693.jpg

I was a bit dissapointed to see "5x86-3v3 100HF", in insinuates the CPU is a 100mhz part, hopefully it does'nt mean anything and the cpu runs fine at 120mhz.

Reply 4 of 40, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw that on ebay... he was asking a pretty penny for it 😳

Can you take a photo of the missing pin? If its just a ground pin it might still work fine. I've got a kingston turbochip with a missing pin and it still works. Otherwise it IS possible to solder a pin back in place... its just a big pain in the arse.

Its still possible to straighten the remaining pins, either with a thin blade or you can try getting a mechanical pencil (aka pacer) and removing the lead, and if its thick enough to slip over a pin, try bending it back gently that way.

Also, a bit strange on the CPU markings, I have an IBM 5x86 100MHz and its labelled 'IBM26 5x86-3v3 100GF'. Does the box definitely say 120MHz?

Reply 5 of 40, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange things do happen during shipment. It's hard to blame sellers unless the case is very obvious. It all depends on luck really. For example, a disgruntled shipment handler who got jacked by his boss for whatever reason, may throw things around while loading. Some clumsy handlers who may be new to work, or who doesn't care about other's properties can mishandle or inappropriately handle. Of course, these are hard to pinpoint, and ultimately, we have to deal with the sellers. At least, it's good that the seller agreed to (some) of your terms.

The bent pins are best uh..straightened out. They'll work flawlessly when straightened. Problem is the broken pin(s). Depends on which pins those are... Many times, I ended up with bent pins, especially when removing a cpu from the socket. When the locking handle is not completely opened, or when there is a fault with the handle's path, the socket holes still hold the pins tightly, and requires more brute force to pry the cpu from it.

Old pins, when being straightened out must be done very gently but firmly. They tend to break easily too.

And yes, passing a knife or blade and aligning it to the aisle between the pin rows, and banking the blade to the left and right help to straighten the pins evenly along the row of pins. Usueally the corner pins are easily bent which is a bit more difficult but not hard.

Anyway, can you let us know the name of the seller? If many have problems with the seller, and since older CPUs are of a concern with the users here, it might be helpful when shopping.

Last edited by Malik on 2011-09-19, 12:00. Edited 2 times in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 40, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The box definately says 120mhz
IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

What I found interesting was no referance to cyrix or 5x86 settings in the manual, it states that you set the cpu as a 486DX-40, DX2-80, DX4-120, would'nt that cause a catastrophic failure unless it was an AMD 486 (Motherboards that dont support the cyrix 5x86)??

On the back of the box its says "fith generation architecture" which implies the cyrix 5x86, just seems strange as surely this upgrade would have caused plenty of heartache,.

That voltage adapter is borked, it has about 16 missing pins now, its the most brittle cpu thingy ive come across, every pin thats 60 degrees or steeper has snapped when I try to to straighten it, bloody shame.

Reply 7 of 40, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The damaged pins certifies that it is not unopened as it would not suffer that damage in the box without the box and the inner packaging being mauled beyond recognition. I would be demanding money back on the basis that it is not as it was described in the listing, his claims of it being sold as a collectible notwithstanding. If he refuses to give you a refund, then leave a negative feedback and open a claim. Ebay/Paypal will likely refund your money after you leave a neg and file a claim.

Reply 8 of 40, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe someone at Australia post discovered exactly the right way to stomp the package to leave the packaging intact but destroy the contents. :p

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 9 of 40, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for that broken pin, ive been told this trick can work: you take copper wire of the same gauge as the pins , cut a small piece of proper length, insert it in the socket hole corresponding to broken pin and insert the cpu. Leave some headroom when inserting the copper wire so the cpu will finish pushing it down, making sure you have contact.

I never tried that with a cpu, although i did with socket chips. I cannot imagine this redneck fix is very long term reliable with cpus though...

edit : if the broken pin is on a corner or on a side i think i would try to solder a new one first 😜

Reply 10 of 40, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:

As for that broken pin, ive been told this trick can work: you take copper wire of the same gauge as the pins , cut a small piece of proper length, insert it in the socket hole corresponding to broken pin and insert the cpu. Leave some headroom when inserting the copper wire so the cpu will finish pushing it down, making sure you have contact.

I never tried that with a cpu, although i did with socket chips. I cannot imagine this redneck fix is very long term reliable with cpus though...

edit : if the broken pin is on a corner or on a side i think i would try to solder a new one first 😜

Maybe you could do something similar but solder your new "pins" instead.
I doubt a 5x86 will get hot enough for anything bad to happen, it's not an 8800GT after all. 😁

Reply 11 of 40, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

Maybe someone at Australia post discovered exactly the right way to stomp the package to leave the packaging intact but destroy the contents. :p

I can confirm that, had a Celeron 333 delivered by AusPost and the wanker tried to stuff the package through the mail slot. Spent the better part of an hour straightening the bent pins out.

Reply 12 of 40, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that I stop and think about it, a missing pin may actually be intentional. I have a socket 370 transposer, that lets me put a coppermine P3 into a socket that doesnt support it. Its "missing" no less than 4 pins. If your not going to return it for a refund, straighten out the pins and give it a shot! Worst case scenario is the board wont post.

ALSO, the IBM blue lightning chips were re-branded cyrix chips. IBM being a "safe" company would under-rate their processors. Meaning a 120mhz cyrix would be re-branded as a 100mhz ibm.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 40, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just curious as to how much you paid for this? Another poster above seemed to imply that it was a lot. Was this from ebay Australia? I only ask because I can't find a completed listing for it there.

Reply 14 of 40, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the one I was referring to

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gainbery-MAXimizer … 81#ht_500wt_922

There's still one for sale:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gainbery-MAXimizer … 54#ht_500wt_922

He's asking $50 more for a slower 75MHz model 😮

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 15 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the package was broken during shipping, the missing pin should've been somewhere inside the package.

Seeing the gainbery package was a 120Mhz part and buyer received a 100Mhz part (a standard and common 100Mhz part!!!) I'd say seller is a fraud. Only good part about this auction is thge box buyer received, but that's basically a little plaster on a too big a wound

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 40, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

whats worse is their is at least one broken pin.

I'd try your best to solder on a pin header and unbend the rest of the pins. A Weller soldering tip ETS or ETJ should allow you to get to even the inner pins. If you can find the old broken pin in the box, use it as your pin header and solder it back in place. If the broken pin is supply voltage or ground, you can wire solder it to the next closest voltage or ground. Check the socket 3 pin-out sheet to determine which pin it is.

Would the cpu simply unhook from the adapter?

I have two of these I bought ~8 years ago for $8 each. Yes, unscrew the screw attaching the voltage regulator to the heatsink, then carefully pry the CPU off the interposer board.

I could've set the mainboard jumpers for 5V, cyrix 5x86 settings and the uprade cpu would regulate the voltage down to 3.3V??

Yes. I measured it once, I think it came out to be either 3.3V or 3.45V. Forget which now.

I was a bit dissapointed to see "5x86-3v3 100HF", in insinuates the CPU is a 100mhz part,

It is still a 120 MHz part. I've run mine at 120 MHz for years without issue.

That voltage adapter is borked, it has about 16 missing pins now,

The voltage regulator only has 3 or 4 pins. What are you refering to with 16 missing pins?

Does the box definitely say 120MHz?

My Gainberry box from years ago said 120 MHz.

This is the one I was referring to [refering to the ebay link].

$100 for a Cyrix 5x86-120
$150 for a Cyrix 75

That is obscene!

Good thing for me I started my 486 obsession at a time when people were practically giving the stuff away.

@ Amigaz
What interposer CPU adapter model is that which you posted a photo of? I'd probably like to get my hands on one to solder in a mini potentiometer to create a removable socket 3 variable-regulator board.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

If the package was broken during shipping, the missing pin should've been somewhere inside the package.

Seeing the gainbery package was a 120Mhz part and buyer received a 100Mhz part (a standard and common 100Mhz part!!!) I'd say seller is a fraud. Only good part about this auction is thge box buyer received, but that's basically a little plaster on a too big a wound

I just wanted to add, after having posted I realised the IBM 100Mhz parts are basically the same as the Cyrix 120Mhz parts.
But still, the sticker on the (broken) CPU package is lame 🙁

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 40, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I was a bit dissapointed to see "5x86-3v3 100HF", in insinuates the CPU is a 100mhz part,

Do you know what it says underneath the heatsink, as in Cyrix 100 or 120?

Reply 19 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Do you know what it says underneath the heatsink, as in Cyrix 100 or 120?

It sais 100Mhz IBM, but the IBM ones are known to be more conservatively clocked then the Cyrix named parts

Report spammers here!