VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/09/28/16512 … c-PCI-Connector

"It turns out that you can still get a legacy PCI graphics card with a modern GPU. In this case it's a Nvidia Geforce GT 520 card provided by Zotac. Both the PCI and PCIe x1 variants feature a GT 520 graphics chip with 48 stream processors, 512MB of DDR3 memory, a 810MHz core clock speed, a 1333MHz memory speed, and a 64-bit memory interface."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 28, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Is there really any use for a PCI card anymore? What systems would need such a card?

Schabby OEM computers with integrated graphics and no PCI-E/AGP slots.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 4 of 28, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of Pentium 4 Dell computers I've fixed for friends had crappy onboard video. The only expansion options they had were 2 PCI slots. That's it.

Reply 6 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

A lot of Pentium 4 Dell computers I've fixed for friends had crappy onboard video. The only expansion options they had were 2 PCI slots. That's it.

Sure but a GT 520 on a Pentium 4? It's a lot more than an overkill 😜

Reply 7 of 28, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if it'll make Quake run any faster on a 486...

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 9 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it faster than a 9500GT? That's currently the fastest card ever released in PCI, at least to my knowledge. There is a HD5450 in PCI, but that is slower than the 9500GT even though it does have a newer feature set.

Edit: It looks like by comparing PCIe to PCIe that 9500GT is still the faster chip, at least on paper. The GT 520 is still a lot faster than the HD5450, though.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=650&card2=574

Reply 10 of 28, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An example of where this could be useful, at least for me, is the small formfactor Compaq Pentium III box I have. If I had some cash to spare, I could pick that up along with a blue ray player and install them then plug the thing into my TV. While it wouldn't be as graceful as a dedicated bluray player, it might be cheaper and it'd be more versatile. Get a capture card to go with it and I've got a poor-man's all in one DVR solution.

Also might be decent for one of the many Opteron and other relatively powerful systems made last decade that were stuck with a motherboard lacking AGP slot due to their original intended role as a server.

The card should also be able to provide hardware acceleration for Flash and other various softwares that now use the GPU despite having nothing 3D (Firefox, etc). Basically, in theory, the card should be able to add sufficient multimedia ability to a decade or less old computer that it can be somewhat useful for more than old games or word processing again. It might also catch on in educational institutions and government offices where you have a ton of aging and obsolete computers but not the resources to replace them.

Reply 11 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GXL750 wrote:

An example of where this could be useful, at least for me, is the small formfactor Compaq Pentium III box I have. If I had some cash to spare, I could pick that up along with a blue ray player and install them then plug the thing into my TV. While it wouldn't be as graceful as a dedicated bluray player, it might be cheaper and it'd be more versatile. Get a capture card to go with it and I've got a poor-man's all in one DVR solution.

Also might be decent for one of the many Opteron and other relatively powerful systems made last decade that were stuck with a motherboard lacking AGP slot due to their original intended role as a server.

The card should also be able to provide hardware acceleration for Flash and other various softwares that now use the GPU despite having nothing 3D (Firefox, etc). Basically, in theory, the card should be able to add sufficient multimedia ability to a decade or less old computer that it can be somewhat useful for more than old games or word processing again. It might also catch on in educational institutions and government offices where you have a ton of aging and obsolete computers but not the resources to replace them.

That's assuming you're running a recent OS in that P-III box. I can't see there ever being a Win9x/ME driver unless someone decides to write their own.

Reply 13 of 28, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Do these still exist? I mean seriously? No PCI-E or AGP at all? What kind of processor/RAM do these things have?

I can see many of the OEM's building micro-ATX boards with only PCI and/or PCIe x1 slots, this means no dedicated GPU support as you need a PCIe x16 slot for that 😉

It would still have current standard CPU's and DDR3 ram slots, most likley only 2 of these slots and a max ram support of 8GB.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 14 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Question for you guys. Would this card work in really old computers with PCI slots? Lets say a 486 or Pentium?

Or are there potential issues like not having the right voltage and things like that?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 28, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Question for you guys. Would this card work in really old computers with PCI slots? Lets say a 486 or Pentium?

Or are there potential issues like not having the right voltage and things like that?

It would most likely not work due to the PCI v2.xx or higher requirment for 3.3v signaling.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 16 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

You wouldn't be able to get a driver for a 486 because they can't run XP unless you want to write your own driver and you wouldn't want to run XP on a Pentium because it would be too slow so even if there weren't electrical constraints preventing it, it wouldn't be practical. .

Last edited by sliderider on 2012-01-15, 08:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm mostly thinking of the DVI / HDMI output under DOS. Not sure if this will work however...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why? Why did they release a GT 520 PCI card? Why? Why?.... Will it work with my 486 with PCI slots? If not, why? 🤣

Now I've seen everything.

6724861429_d13d26544f.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers