VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgive me if this has been posted in the past, but I can't seem to get Hellbender to render in D3D on my system. Is this due to DirectX 11\Windows 7?

Compatibility mode only makes the audio lag, does not appear to make a difference in graphics though. I only have Home Premium so I cannot use the special "Windows XP mode", I don't also want to try to install Windows 95 on my VituralBox environment because I don't have access to a floppy drive as of now. (I also can't seem to find the Win95 CD's anywhere either...)

I have a ATI Radeon HD3200 integrated device. It's driver revision (according to Catalyst Control Center) is: 8.85-110419a-118908C-ATI

I've gotten Heretic II to run just fine in the past, and also the original Unreal versions that first started to introduce Direct3D, so I don't see why Hellbender wouldn't function unless I need to run it fullscreen?

This is my first post since registering, so please bear with me.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't tested the game in Windows 7 but for Vista I had to turn off Hardware Acceleration in the game to get it work properly.

With these early Windows games there really isn't much if any difference between D3D and GDI/DirectDraw in most games.

Can't remember if this game uses 8bit color or not but if it does you may experience a color pallete issue which is caused by Windows 7 Explorer being incompatible with 8bit color games and DDraw/GDI games. If so just kill the explorer.exe task.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2011-10-09, 14:46. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get colour problems, so that's no worry. Even Fury3 never gave me colour problems, the only game I've had such a error was Age of Empires II. This game however, is a CPU resource hog. Fully maxes out a single core on my quad core Phenom II.

Hellbender is supposed to work with D3D 6.0, but I've read that Microsoft released it *WAY* too early so alot of cards apparently rendered in software rather than D3D 6.0, I think this may be my problem, but it doesn't make sense how I can run other D3D 6.0 games fine and not this one.

EDIT: Thought ahead too fast. The entire reason I want D3D is for bilinear filtering, I dunno' if Hellbender has alpha blended explosions or not.

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't. It's the first Direct3D game after all.

By the way, it works in D3D on Windows 7 on RadeonHD, but the lack of table fog (which no Radeon can do) makes the horizon do trails, and the menu bar will flicker. It only functions in D3D in fullscreen because some video cards back then only unleashed their 3d power in a fullscreen exclusive context (3dfx mainly)

Last edited by leileilol on 2011-10-09, 15:23. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a GTX260 and Windows XP 32 bits. Hellbender works fine here except for the horizon that keeps leaving trails of other textures. If I disable it, no problems happens. I also can't use any driver newer than 268.03 or there will be severe graphical problems. On Dad's laptop, which has Windows 7 and Geforce 8600M GS, Monster Truck Madness 1 and 2, which use the same engine and renderer as Hellbender, run with some graphical glitches.

Edit: I haven't seen it above before, seems like the trail is a problem on every modern card. So, just disable the horizon and you'll be just fine.

Last edited by filipetolhuizen on 2011-10-09, 18:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

By the way, it works in D3D on Windows 7 on RadeonHD, but the lack of table fog (which no Radeon can do) makes the horizon do trails, and the menu bar will flicker. It only functions in D3D in fullscreen because some video cards back then only unleashed their 3d power in a fullscreen exclusive context (3dfx mainly)

I somehow knew it would come to that. Dammit. Well it's no big deal now, atleast Hellbender doesn't act as wonky as Fury3 does. (and renders in 640x480 rather than eye squinting 320x200)

Well thanks for the replies everyone. Shame all I have in terms of old video cards is a Voodoo 2. (and the computer it's in doesn't even work anymore)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC the voodoo 1 patch for DOSBox supports D3D so that may work but I don't think it's fast enough to be playable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline