VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there..

Iam still being busy with my old XT computer..
Iam looking for an scsi harddisk for it because i have already an scsi controller over here.. And its a lot cheaper that building an XTIDE card.. Because its harder to get those parts to weld them on an pcb.. So i need to order those parts on ebay.. And shipping to the netherlands from USA isnt that cheap..

I have to questions.. Some drives they call them Half highed drives (HH)
Is this the same hight as an normal 5.25 inch device??

And second question. I never havent worked with scsi before.

1. I know i need an boot rom to boot from harddisk.
2. I need an 50-pin cable (thats support Scsi 1 en 2)
3. The controller card needs to get terminated.. ID select always 0..

Question: Do the harddisk get terminated if put it on te end of the cable?
Question: Do i need an seperated terminator if i put the harddisk closer to the ISA controller card (and put the terminator on the end of the cable)

(does the harddisk then work if its not defect)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
Hi there.. […]
Show full quote

Hi there..

Iam still being busy with my old XT computer..
Iam looking for an scsi harddisk for it because i have already an scsi controller over here.. And its a lot cheaper that building an XTIDE card.. Because its harder to get those parts to weld them on an pcb.. So i need to order those parts on ebay.. And shipping to the netherlands from USA isnt that cheap..

I have to questions.. Some drives they call them Half highed drives (HH)
Is this the same hight as an normal 5.25 inch device??

And second question. I never havent worked with scsi before.

1. I know i need an boot rom to boot from harddisk.
2. I need an 50-pin cable (thats support Scsi 1 en 2)
3. The controller card needs to get terminated.. ID select always 0..

Question: Do the harddisk get terminated if put it on te end of the cable?
Question: Do i need an seperated terminator if i put the harddisk closer to the ISA controller card (and put the terminator on the end of the cable)

(does the harddisk then work if its not defect)

You don't need to build the xt-ide card. You only need a network card or other 8/16 bit is card with an eprom/eeprom socket. There are plenty of 8 bit ne2000 type cards on eBay that you can use. I'm using a 16bit 3com in my setup.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last device in the SCSI chain, in this case you hdd need to be terminated, some older SCSI hdd's had onboard resistor packs..if not you need to get an active SCSI terminator like this one:

1742792-2-200-0.gif

Just put in on the last connector on the SCSI cable and the hdd on the middle connector on your SCSI cable

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok so the device that is in between the controller and the last drive dont have be terminated?
So the intention is to make an closed chain??

So if the hard drive is already been terminated the best spot to place it is on the last connector of the cable? If not then i need to pace that recommend terminator on the last end and then put the harddisk between the controller card en terminator..

If this is right then iam getting it..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
Ok so the device that is in between the controller and the last drive dont have be terminated? So the intention is to make an cl […]
Show full quote

Ok so the device that is in between the controller and the last drive dont have be terminated?
So the intention is to make an closed chain??

So if the hard drive is already been terminated the best spot to place it is on the last connector of the cable? If not then i need to pace that recommend terminator on the last end and then put the harddisk between the controller card en terminator..

If this is right then iam getting it..

Yep, correct 😀

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327