VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bignick18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using visual studio but for some reason it refuses to work as everyone elses did. I've had my professor even try and it wont work for me. So instead of spending more hours trouble shooting I would like to try an alternative.

My question is I run 64 bit Win7. Can dos-box be used to build and run 16 bit assembly? If so is there a tutorial which will help me understand how to do that with dos-box? Thanks and all help is very appreciated!

Reply 1 of 8, by Dr.Demencio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, theorically you could use Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.1 or some other elder complier. That assuming you can run it with no problems, of course.

Anyway, as stated on one of the stickies, it's strongly recomended to avoid using DosBox for anything but games. Bosch, with a minimal MS-DOS 6 installation would provably be more reliable.

Reply 3 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And i'd personally use something more sane than Bochs (which is as general and bare as x86 VMs can possibly get), such as Qemu or maybe even anything starting with a V (Virtual PC, VirtualBox, VMWare)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 8, by Dr.Demencio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course, Bochs, my bad.

I'm curious leileilol, is there any particular reason why Bochs could be troublesome for building some basic 16bit assembler applications? I mean, is there any particular feature not correctly emulated or is it just a matter of trust?

And as for using XP compatibility, is it actually possible to run 16-bit applications with it? I've tried with several win16 games I've got around but had no luck with any of them (windows keeps complaining about it not being 32/64bits).

Reply 6 of 8, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what MS calls 'XP Mode' isn't the same as the compatibility settings you speak of.

it's a virtual machine setup with a licensed copy of XP preinstalled (although it's somehow 'integrated' into your Win7 desktop, I think), so you can run pretty much everything that runs on XP natively - including 16-bit apps.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dr.Demencio wrote:

I'm curious leileilol, is there any particular reason why Bochs could be troublesome for building some basic 16bit assembler applications? I mean, is there any particular feature not correctly emulated or is it just a matter of trust?

I think he means that it's very no-frills: everything has to be done through disk images, there's not really any configuration GUI, and it's also really slow.