VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BareknuckleRoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried searching various sites to no avail, but I'm looking for an old DOS game I believe was called 'Mustang' (I could be mistaken on the name) as in the P-51 Mustang plane. Not sure if it was a port of a game, but it seems doubtful as I've tried looking to see if perhaps it was a DOS port of a C64 or arcade game with no luck.

The game was a top-down vertical shmup with basic graphics (I remember it being EGA), where you fought various planes as they appeared at the top of the screen. There was no background landscape/scrolling, just a blue screen if I recall, and the enemy formations consisted of either a basic type of small planes or the occasional larger bombers (bore a resemblance to a green B-17 Flying Fortress I think) that took several hits to destroy.

Special weapons would occasionally show up that included a wide black pellet spreadshot and a distinctive pink & black homing shot that would fly around the screen and seek out enemies. I can't remember if special weapons ran out based on a timer or if they had a certain number of uses each time you picked one up. I vaguely remember a powerup allowing you to ram into enemies if you liked, although it could be the game simply gave you a lifebar.

I remember the controls being atrocious as if you pressed an arrow on the numpad you'd keep flying in that direction until you pressed that arrow again. Game speed needed something like MoSlo too (last time I played it was years ago on a Pentium if I recall, game was way too fast without it).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply 1 of 18, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you are, Bare Knuckles, I found a copy on Amazon.com. This game really exists after all, just as you thought. I hope it's not too expensive for you.

You'll have to create an acc't with Amazon before you'll be able to buy it.

Mustang P51

According to what I found, I don't think it was freeware/shareware, if you're financially are able to buy this copy of the game, you'll likely be better off, I believe, AFAIK.

EDIt - I checked on ebay and half.com for you as well as Glenn's Guides but none of these places have it. Hopefully this XP?Vista version of the game will fit your needs? It was the only one I could find for you.

Last edited by AlienBZ on 2011-10-06, 04:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlienBZ wrote:
Here you are, Bare Knuckles, I found a copy on Amazon.com. This game really exists after all, just as you thought. I hope it's n […]
Show full quote

Here you are, Bare Knuckles, I found a copy on Amazon.com. This game really exists after all, just as you thought. I hope it's not too expensive for you.

You'll have to create an acc't with Amazon before you'll be able to buy it.

Mustang P51

According to what I found, I don't think it was freeware/shareware, if you're financially are able to buy this copy of the game, you'll likely be better off, I believe, AFAIK.

EDIt - I checked on ebay and half.com for you as well as Glenn's Guides but none of these places have it. Hopefully this XP?Vista version of the game will fit your needs? It was the only one I could find for you.

Thing is this is an expension for ms flight simulator, nothing like a EGA dos shmup.

AlienBZ, there is a horizontal shmup called Fire mustang on the genesis but does not fit your description. The game you describe seems more like a 1942 clone. Maybe ask at the shmup forum ?

Reply 4 of 18, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlienBZ wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

shmup forum ?

Thanks for the reply, but where or what is the "shmup" forum?

It is the fist google result for Shmup forum 😉

http://shmups.system11.org/index.php

Reply 5 of 18, by BareknuckleRoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the posts; I was toying with the idea of posting there, but I'm unsure as to how knowledgeable an obscure DOS shmup would be there, especially since it's nowhere near polished or remotely well-known.

I wish I could remember where I saw the game originally. The last time I saw a copy of it was on a diskette an old friend gave me, but I've no idea where it went or if it'd even work still.

Reply 6 of 18, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this the game?

rom talk removed

EDIT 2 - Found another Fire Mustang file d/l, deleted the old link and replaced it with this new link. Tested this new file in my Sega Genesis and it runs OK.

Apparently the first file I linked to (before replacing it) is either a corrupted file or its a Japanese version of the game.

Reply 7 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only DOS EGA shmup I know of that involved a mustang is Sky Shark by Taito - but unfortunately that's retail only, and it had scrolling backgrounds (choppy, though).

The speed issue and the lack of backgrounds imply heavily it's either a '90s BASIC programmed trainwreck on an obscure BBS, or a genuine 80s title developed for XTs.

BTW,

ROMS ARE FORBIDDEN HERE

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I HAVE FOUND MUSTANG

I was close - it is a 1991 Borland Pascal trainwreck.

Also found the later 3.0 version of the game...... which is strange to say at the least but it does add mouse control.

Attachments

• must3_001.gif
    Filename
    must3_001.gif
    File size
    32.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Mustang 3.0 High Score Screen
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    must3.zip
    File size
    76.25 KiB
    Downloads
    292 downloads
    File comment
    Mustang 3.0
    File license
  • Filename
    MUSTANG.ZIP
    File size
    71.34 KiB
    Downloads
    287 downloads
    File comment
    Mustang
    File license
  • mustang.gif
    Filename
    mustang.gif
    File size
    10 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mustang2.gif
    Filename
    mustang2.gif
    File size
    3.58 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shovelware cd collections really - The true source of the obscure.

Google couldn't have possibly have found this game. It's not on Amazon. It's not on Mobygames for sure. It's not a Genesis game. "Abandonware" sites only care about pirating commercial games, they never cover stuff like this so they're no hope for the general obscure little known shareware or freeware game.

BBS instincts ftw

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 18, by jvschmitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wrote this program back in 1989-1991 for fun.

I made only about $300 over 2 years in shareware donations. This was on BBS's like Compuserve, LONG before the WWW.

It was fun to build & play in they day.

What can you expect from an 18 year old back in those days?! Please be kind.

In any case, you can find it online here & play with the online simulator:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_MUSTANG_shareware

Reply 14 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He he, thanks for reporting here 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 18, by jvschmitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the code, but it's in Borland's Turbo Pascal, and it used some assembly code for graphics, as it was really hard to get game-level speed on 286's! The last time I compiled it was around 2004, and the game went far too fast to be playable.

Nowadays, we programmers can use a global timer to trigger events, even at 60 FPS, but back then, you couldn't afford any idle time, with MHz CPU's, not GHz. So, I wrote an artificial delay that was based on how long it took your CPU to count to 100. To get it to run on a modern computer (not emulator), I'd need to rewrite the internal clocks to be trigger-based on a timer.

Anyway, all fun.

Reply 18 of 18, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jvschmitt wrote:

I have the code, but it's in Borland's Turbo Pascal, and it used some assembly code for graphics, as it was really hard to get game-level speed on 286's! The last time I compiled it was around 2004, and the game went far too fast to be playable.

Nowadays, we programmers can use a global timer to trigger events, even at 60 FPS, but back then, you couldn't afford any idle time, with MHz CPU's, not GHz. So, I wrote an artificial delay that was based on how long it took your CPU to count to 100. To get it to run on a modern computer (not emulator), I'd need to rewrite the internal clocks to be trigger-based on a timer.

Anyway, all fun.

You should get that code and a registered version out for everyone 😀