VOGONS

getting 3D out of Mpact!

Topic actions

First post, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am failing at making Mpact! M1 work. Only driver I found is Mediaware 1.6 patch from Gateway. It installs the card but there is no Direct3d. Perhaps it is only patch of some other modules. I red that Mediaware 1.0 already had Direct3d, but I cannot find it. Chromatic never published their drivers on the web and now they are even harder to get. Can anybody help?

Reply 1 of 35, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some drivers for my mpact. Honestly i haven't messed around much with it...

Please try this smaller pack first.

Attachments

• Filename
    mpactwin9x.zip
    File size
    2.65 MiB
    Downloads
    189 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't remember if it was MPACT1 or 2 I ran 3dmark99 on once but the result wasn't pretty so don't expect much. 😀 It's definitely one of those half baked 3d attempts. Fascinating chip though.

Reply 3 of 35, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i've seen a few mpact2 cards(mostly leadtek and stb), its quite rare though.
the mpact2's 3d functions may not be that mature, yet its not a dedicated 3d accelerator, but a highly programmable dsp! so the same chip was even made into an infamous UAD-1 audio processing card, and some mpact2 based videocards can also be flashed to do that.
i havn't got one for myself though, and i want to know: does its driver have opengl support?

Reply 4 of 35, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:

Please try this smaller pack first.

Thanks but those are for Mpact2.

noshutdown wrote:

does its driver have opengl support?

There is minigl library for quake in the package above.

Reply 6 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried digging through Google Groups for info on Mpact1. Apparently it did all of 3D in software (mediaware) and was very slow. Mpact2 added a 3d pixel pipeline in hardware.

I didn't see any posts about actually using Mpact1 for 3d.

In the end these chips were mostly used to make DVD decoder cards. Apparently the software development burden was huge and part of why the idea of a multipurpose VLIW processor died back then.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-11-16, 19:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 35, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went through Chromatic press and they had to have some d3d for first Mpact. I don't care how bad it is. I am testing 3d cards AVGN style, gotta find out how much they crank up diarrhea meter.

Reply 9 of 35, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:

[...] I am testing 3d cards AVGN style, gotta find out how much they crank up diarrhea meter.

vids or it didn't happen 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 35, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

vids or it didn't happen 😁

Well in my dreams. I am just being boring on a simple web. At first I imagined such humorous sarcastic style. But watching those old cards working only gets me nostalgic, not angry at all.

Reply 11 of 35, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been playing with Mpact2 and was surprised how game able it is. It would be a loss to not have drivers for first one, I feel my life will be incomplete without experience of pure dsp.

Reply 14 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You guys reckon the mpact card is worth getting? I've seen an mpact(-1) card laying in a bin for a couple euro's for a couple weeks now with noone to buy it.

Quite frankly, before this thread I never even heard of that card before

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:

It only excels in 2d windows, mpeg2 playback and maybe some audio features. I would buy it for couple of euros just to own that piece of history.

Does it come with a heatsink btw? Because mine was missing one, no idea if it was damaged or something

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 35, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Varus-3dfx wrote on 2020-05-23, 19:07:

Hi this is my first post on Vogons!
I have working Mpact1 card with drivers. I was testing card in DOS and W95.

Can you upload driver? Putas has on site version 1.6, but i guess it wont work in Win98, as every driver i install will add to multimedia tree video driver for mpact, but win98 doesnt detect it
as video card and wont allow anything that basic vga 640x480x16 colors. Anyone has newer driver that 1.6 or tested card on win98?

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info