VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MastaG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks.

I've been reading lots of posts and decided to give the 3dfx enabled version of dosbox a try on my notebook.
My goal is to play Carmageddon (Splat Pack) in 3dfx on dosbox.

I'm running Fedora 16 x86_64 but I figured I need to build dosbox for 32bit in order to play Carmageddon or I'll get vertical stripes on my screen (something to do with x86 fpu emulation?).

So I started installing lots of "-devel.i686" packages with yum.
glibc-devel.i686 SDL*.i686 libICE-devel.i686 libSM-devel.i686 X11 and so on...

First I cloned the openglide cvs and patched it with
gulikoza's carmageddon fix:
Carmageddon fix
and gulikoza highres patch:
Highres rendering patch

Then I configured openglide:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --libdir=/usr/local/lib --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --host=i686-linux CFLAGS=-m32 CXXFLAGS=-m32 LDFLAGS=-m32

Openglide compiled and installed without problems.

I used this version of Dosbox by robertmo (latest svn + 3dfx patch from gulikoza applied):
Glide patch

I configured it Dosbox with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --libdir=/usr/local/lib --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --host=i686-linux CFLAGS=-m32 CXXFLAGS=-m32 LDFLAGS=-m32 CPPFLAGS="-I /usr/local/include/openglide/"

Dosbox also compiled and installed without problems.

After running Dosbox for the first time it creates the ~/.dosbox/dosbox-SVN.conf

I altered it to read:

output=opengl
glide=true
grport=600
lfb=full

I got the Carmageddon Splat Pack demo.
And I placed the glide2x.ovl in the main directory of the Splat Pack demo.
I used the glide2x.ovl from gulikoza's 3dfx patch thread (first post).

Now when I try to run carm3dfx.exe I get the following error:

DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time  Version 1.97
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994
FATAL hstdlib.c:37
Glide Exit: 100

The terminal from which I run Dosbox only outputs:

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/mastag/.dosbox/dosbox-SVN.conf
MIXER:Got different values from SDL: freq 44100, blocksize 512
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:none
Glide:LFB access: read-write
Glide:GLIDE_PageHandler installed at 0x60000000 (384 pages)
DOSBox switched to max cycles, because of the setting: cycles=auto. If the game runs too fast try a fixed cycles amount in DOSBox's options.

Is there anything I forgot?
I've been trough so many posts on this forum but can't figure out what I did wrong.

Any help would be appreciated 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by MastaG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind,

It appears the dosbox build was fine.
The 3dfx splat pack demo just doesn't work on any version of dosbox.
After installing my Carmageddon Max-Pack discs, it works great using the -vrush option.

Too bad my 2.0GHz notebook can't keep up.
But it's almost fullspeed 😀

Thanks gulikoza and others for everything!

I hope my first post will help others compiling a 3dfx enabled version of dosbox.

Reply 2 of 4, by rajmurt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm in the same boat, trying to run Gog.com's Carmageddon+Splat to run in Fedora 14 x86_64 in dosbox.

Instead of applying various patches as you did, I'm trying to compile ykhwong's dosbox build. So far, I encountered the following problem for 20121210 build:

make[4]: Entering directory `/builddir/build/BUILD/dosbox-yk/src/hardware'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../include -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -m32 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -MT glide.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/glide.Tpo -c -o glide.o glide.cpp
In file included from glide.cpp:23:0:
../../include/glide.h:64:37: fatal error: ../openglide/sdk2_glide.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[4]: *** [glide.o] Error 1

Does this mean I have to get openglide source too? ykhwong's page doesn't say which version/cvs tag to use for openglide, and it says the source code has everything ready to build for Linux.

BTW, I had to patch the dosbox to match Fedora 14's stock SDL packages (old). Not sure I'm ready to build newest SDL (both 32-bit and 64-bit, and all dependencies) just to run this game. And I can't upgrade to newest Fedora since some packages I can't live with are still buggy, so have to wait for Fedora 18 in a few weeks, and even that wouldn't have the svn version of SDL.

Maybe if all else fails, I'll try your exact steps.

Reply 3 of 4, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, openglide headers are needed. It doesn't matter what version since they're basically a copy of 3dfx headers from the 90's...and you'll need openglide anyway 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 4 of 4, by rajmurt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the tip.

I eventually upgraded to Fedora 18 x86_64, and built openglide from latest cvs patched with carma patch, and dosbox from latest svn with glide patch and x86_64 fpu patch scattered throughout this forum, and no need to build 32-bit.

So far, it seems slightly faster than software mode, but can't tell. I'm using laptop Intel graphics in optimus video (haven't installed bumblebee and decided to wait for official nvidia optimus driver) so that may be the reason for less-than-stellar 3d that I expected (or maybe that's the limit of 3d in those days.)

Anyway, I'm happy so far.