VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscree … 1&v=ja123_f3ly4

Well, at least the GUI looks like a Win7. Maybe a fleshed out WinXP? Or perhaps a fleshed out Linux.

The poster didn't comment anything else.

What I'm baffled about is the quick responsiveness of the UI in a K6-2. More so if it's a Win7.
Either that's real, or I'm turned into a sucker. 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this looks like XP with a theme to me, I have seen some "warez" releases in the past having this black theme.... they suck don't even bother finding them 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 38, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The way windows draw, it looks a lot to me like a fullscreen remote desktop session. Either that or some Windows 7 skinning doodads on XP. I'm pretty sure Win7 needs SSE, which a K6-3 lacks. And that's once you get around the fact that it needs 1GB of RAM...

Edit: A challenger appears: http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-hardw … html#post135619

But somehow I doubt it would be usable, even on the above K6.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2012-02-03, 10:38. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 38, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is windows XP, with Vista transformation pack or some theme like that.

EDIT: When he zooms in you can make out WIndows XP Professional, Service Pack 1, no wonder it is so "fast" 😁

8zszli-6.png

Reply 7 of 38, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep definitely XP. Funny story, the first PC that was ever "mine" was a Toshiba Satellite with some Pentium variant, I'd have to go look to see exactly what CPU, and 64MB of RAM. My grandpa gave it to me... I believe 2004ish, making me about 12 at the time. Anyways the point of my story is that it somehow had XP on it when he gave it to me. It was reasonably responsive too! Granted I didn't have anything to actually stress the system; all I cared about back then was Pinball. I ended up putting 98 on it and playing Age of Empires in the car all the time 😁

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 8 of 38, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:

That is windows XP, with Vista transformation pack or some theme like that.

EDIT: When he zooms in you can make out WIndows XP Professional, Service Pack 1, no wonder it is so "fast" 😁

It's not "fast". It's pretty damn fast. In fact, it's faster than my intel Atom netbook. 🙁

Reply 10 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks more like Vista to me than 7. It's probably XP with a Vista theme. Vista would be way too heavy on that CPU. You'd probably be running at 80%+ CPU constantly which wouldn't be good for longevity even with a waterblock mounted on it.

Reply 12 of 38, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, definitely fake. The start menu is an immediate giveaway. You are, however, incorrect regarding the CPU requirements. Winhistory.de's "Windows Quäler" page has data of Windows 7 running on an AMD K5-120 (clocked at 90 MHz) paired with 128MB (worth to notice is that Windows Vista takes three times longer to boot on the same computer, except it had twice the RAM for that test). There's also plenty of YouTube videos showing Windows 7 running on AMD K6-CPUs.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 13 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Svenne wrote:

Yeah, definitely fake. The start menu is an immediate giveaway. You are, however, incorrect regarding the CPU requirements. Winhistory.de's "Windows Quäler" page has data of Windows 7 running on an AMD K5-120 (clocked at 90 MHz) paired with 128MB (worth to notice is that Windows Vista takes three times longer to boot on the same computer, except it had twice the RAM for that test). There's also plenty of YouTube videos showing Windows 7 running on AMD K6-CPUs.

For testing purposes just to see if it can be done is one thing, but running it long term under those condition is going to cause damage to the CPU because it will never get the chance to power down. The German guys who got XP to run on a Pentium downclocked to 8mhz showed that the CPU was running at 100% the entire time it was powered up. You wouldn't want to do that for very long not to mention the fact that everything would take forever to execute. Just moving the mouse across the screen would take a long time, and booting up a program would probably lock up the system.

Reply 14 of 38, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had Win98 running on an 8MHz Pentium overdrive (socket 3) and it was painfully slow. Took over an hour to boot, clicking the start menu would cause the machine to act like its frozen until it started drawing all the window controls over the course of several minutes.

Scroll down the bottom, I'm the third slowest
http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

I actually had it at 4MHz but it took over 2 hours to boot to a desktop and it would hard lock when I tried to actually launch a program.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 15 of 38, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I actually had it at 4MHz but it took over 2 hours to boot to a desktop and it would hard lock when I tried to actually launch a program.

Errmm....you actually did that? What were you doing till it booted? I mean did you wait and stare at the screen till it booted? For more than 2 hours?

I think I can cook a chicken curry dish by that time. Or play Gods from start to finish - twice. 😁

Reply 16 of 38, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went and did other things.... You don't need to sit there and watch it while it boots 😀

It was part of a competition to win slowest benchmark score. I won a HD 6950 from it 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 17 of 38, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I went and did other things.... You don't need to sit there and watch it while it boots 😀

It was part of a competition to win slowest benchmark score. I won a HD 6950 from it 😀

Wow! Now that's worth waiting for! 😁