VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

I had Win98 running on an 8MHz Pentium overdrive (socket 3)... I actually had it at 4MHz but it took over 2 hours to boot.

The Pentium has a 2.5x multiplier. How did you get the FSB down to 3.2 MHz and 1.6 MHz, respectively? Did you find a way to set the POD's multiplier to 1x? If that is the case, how did you get the FSB to 4 MHz?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 38, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you remove a POD's heatsink it runs at 1x multi. And the motherboard I used just happened to have jumper settings for 8MHz and 4MHz...

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/FI … 486-GIO-VT.html

It supposedly also had settings for 2MHz but I never got it to boot with that.
To get it to run at 4MHz I had to boot at 8MHz then change the jumpers to the 4MHz setting while it was running, otherwise it wouldn't POST.

Here's the competition http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=949828
My posts start on bottom of page 7

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 22 of 38, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows Thin PC will probably run OK on that system, barely (since it's way below system requirements)
WinTPC is the replacement for WinFLP and is based off of Windows Embedded Standard 7, which in turn was based off of Windows 7

modular, and allows support for newer directx, etc... if you choose to add it

I run it on my Pentium M 1.5 laptop with 512MB... works OK

Reply 23 of 38, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reminds me of my only attempt of running 7 on something slow was this http://i.imgur.com/bjFl6.png the CPU did drop from 100% eventually at which point it fluctuated between 50 and 90 constantly or something like that. It wasn't what I would call usable, and I'm pretty sure its socket 7 not socket 5 but I'm too lazy to check currently.

Reply 24 of 38, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

one should NEVER attempt to run 7 on something this old... WinTPC is the only chance, because it is a very stripped down, lean and mean version of 7... it doesn't mean it's stripped to the bone and useless... quite the contrary... it can be as much featured as your older Windows yet running relatively smoothly

I had no problems running it on my slow laptop

keep in mind pagefile and power saving is disabled by default... so you have to force them on... no big deal

Reply 25 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:
Windows Thin PC will probably run OK on that system, barely (since it's way below system requirements) WinTPC is the replacement […]
Show full quote

Windows Thin PC will probably run OK on that system, barely (since it's way below system requirements)
WinTPC is the replacement for WinFLP and is based off of Windows Embedded Standard 7, which in turn was based off of Windows 7

modular, and allows support for newer directx, etc... if you choose to add it

I run it on my Pentium M 1.5 laptop with 512MB... works OK

Except for one thing. Individuals can't get it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4281/windows-th … ws-slimmed-down

"There are two main things that separate Windows Thin PC from Windows Embedded Standard 7: its name (though the Windows Embedded moniker still lingers on in a few places) and its licensing (where Windows Embedded was sold to OEMs only, Windows Thin PC is being made available to Microsoft’s volume licensing customers. Consumers, sadly, can’t get their hands on either OS legally)."

Also, for a slimmed down version of 7, the system requirements haven't changed much. A 1ghz CPU with 1gb RAM and a DX 9 capable video card are still the recommended minimums, so what is the point again? I thought the whole idea of stripping it down was so systems below the recommended specs could run it smoothly.

Reply 27 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

correction: individuals can't BUY it

my laptop runs below the system requirements, yet it still works fine
I can tell you that it runs a lot smoother and faster than with regular 7 on it

And just how did you manage to get a copy of Windows Thin Client? Piracy is not supported here on these forums, you know, which is what you would have to do to get a copy of it if you are not a volume licensee.

Reply 28 of 38, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you're the one who brought up piracy, not me

I simply said individuals can't buy it, it doesn't mean that they can't get a hold of it legally as part of a company's computer they are using for example

Reply 29 of 38, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sliderider: don't be such an ass. TheMAN stated , that he had made Win 7 run on a lower spec pc. Than Win 7 normally runs on, and second of all TheMAN is a hacker, as in he knows how hardware works. Show him some God damn respect. You brought up the piracy issue, not him. So suck it.

Reply 30 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

sliderider: don't be such an ass. TheMAN stated , that he had made Win 7 run on a lower spec pc. Than Win 7 normally runs on, and second of all TheMAN is a hacker, as in he knows how hardware works. Show him some God damn respect. You brought up the piracy issue, not him. So suck it.

Light up another fatty and shut up, drug addict. Just because you break the law on a daily basis does not make it OK.

Reply 31 of 38, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

Light up another fatty and shut up, drug addict. Just because you break the law on a daily basis does not make it OK.

hmmm how lovely, trying to insult me with a low blow . Man I am going to enjoy my next cigarette. Do you want a deathstick ?

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2012-02-07, 21:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the point I was trying to make was that since that version of Windows is only available to volume licensees, if you aren't one then to get a copy would involve breaking the law which means it is not a viable option for most people just looking to get extra life out of an older machine that falls below the minimum specs for the normal version of Windows 7.

Reply 34 of 38, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sliderider: Yeah what ever, but you had to slip in a Mickey, that I occasionally smoke something else, than "legal" tobacco. And calling me a drug addict at the same time. You are filled with double standards. Mr. Holier Than Thou.

Reply 36 of 38, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
Hey guys, chill out! I guess sliderider is with the Law. http://i41.tinypic.com/168ab9s.jpg […]
Show full quote

Hey guys, chill out! I guess sliderider is with the Law.
168ab9s.jpg

🤣

I Am The Law

Sylvester-Stallone_Judge_l.jpg

Seriously though, if sliderider is a cop , well then. Thoughts are still toll-free. But still it does not justify him calling me a drug addict, he probably drinks either caffeinated water, or coffee or something else. That has caffeine in it. Unless he is a Mormon, cause then he has "rules" to live by. Which forbids a load of different things, that can be seen as "addictive". The thing is, he can open up for his bullshit, and try to insult people. So I will take the High road, and he will be in Scotland before me. But hey, I could actually have a condition where THC would be a benefactor. He did not know about, but live and let live.

Reply 37 of 38, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if he's so concerned about people breaking the law, why is he crying over the loss of btjunkie and not throwing a hissy fit when someone mentioned TPB in that thread? 🙄
fucking hypocrite

Reply 38 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

if he's so concerned about people breaking the law, why is he crying over the loss of btjunkie and not throwing a hissy fit when someone mentioned TPB in that thread? 🙄
fucking hypocrite

The reason I posted that is not because I care about it, but because it might be of interest to other people, it doesn't mean I use those sites. I can post a link to a news article about a murder without being a murderer myself.