VOGONS

First post, by Alfie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got Constructor from GoG and launched it. When I got to the menu the mouse controls are really clunky and impossible to do anything properly. It can barely move diagonally and moving horizontally and vertically doesn't work well either.

If anyone has a solution to this please let me know. I literally can't play the game because of it.

Reply 5 of 17, by Alfie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have asked on their forums and gotten no response. I have seen some solutions people have said work but they didn't for me.

The biggest solution was using MouseX to edit the horizontal and vertical axis speeds at which the mouse moves at. I've try this and fiddled with the mouse settings, hasn't worked for me. People say it's because of 64-bit W7, which I am on.

Reply 6 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd because no one else has mentioned this: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=809&letter=C

IIRC GOG uses DOSBox 0.73.

Try DOSBox 0.74 with the game.

If that doesn't work then try the latest SVN of DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 17, by Alfie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried 0.74 of Dosbox and that didn't work. I tried EmuCR r3779 but that didn't work either. I'm assuming if I drag the game .exe onto the dosbox.exe it will use that .exe? not the one that already comes from GoG.

If I recall correctly I had the same problem with Star Wars: Dark Forces. The mouse would be incredibly fiddly on the menus, but when I was playing I could look left and right find. I've also found I can get fluid movements if I move the mouse really fast, but this makes it difficult for clicking buttons and it's really a plausible solution.

Reply 8 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

One thing that comes to mind is whether the mouse drivers in your host need fine tuning. Logitech, for example has some game detection stuff. Maybe that needs to be fiddled with

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 17, by Alfie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if my Logitech drivers recognises games, but here is the settings I have for my mouse pointer and movement http://i.imgur.com/HxejE.png

My DirectX drivers were up-to-date. But my graphics card and SLI weren't, updating them now.
I don't know if this is relevant but when I was updating my drivers, it said my card is not compatible with DirectX 11 and flash acceleration. I have a nVidia 9800GT

Reply 11 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try it with a lower polling rate and a lower dpi setting if you want.
I recall some similar threads where those made a big difference. Not sure what is happening inside the interaction between dosbox, sdl, mousedrivers though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

sensitivity=200 basicly doubles mouse movement input data that dosbox receives.
Interesting.. Would in a normal function situation, lowering the sensitivity reproduce the problem that appears with a high polling rate ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i don't know what Alfie was talking about as i don't have any problems with this game with high polling rate. I mean there is a problem of up/down being faster than left/right. And also the very annoying problem with mouse not moving left/right when moving it slowly but it still happens with low polling rate. Maybe it is a bit less visible with low polling rate but it still happens and is annoying. maybe Alfie didn't noticed that as he got used to it, so a slight improvement made it ok for him. Although he said moving up/down was not ok for him too.. so maybe he had some other problem too.

Reply 16 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that sensitivity=99 (and lower) makes problem appear with up/down not moving when moving a mouse slowly.

And yes lowering sensitivity makes problem move visible.

I noticed Alfie has very high dpi available with his mouse 5700. (my has only 1800). I guess that makes the problem even less visible when he set polling rate low. (although on the picture he has it set to 1000...)

Last edited by robertmo on 2012-04-15, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.