VOGONS

Common searches

RB3D works 99%

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 63 of 177, by Hentzau

User metadata

In two days you've made some amazing progress on something people have been wanting for a very long time Glidos. Major KUDOS.

Is it useful to you at all to know how it works with a voodoo 3000 card? The latest Sept 8 version gave me text such as "gun is jammed" at the top of my screen. Thats the easiest one to replicate for testing purposes for you also by just holding the trigger till the gun jams. Then "U" will unjam the gun. The chat screen comes up now, its kind of dark but I can see to type and choose who the message will go to with the arrow keys directly to right of main keyboard, I can't read who its going to though, the gui remains a bit dark for that. The txt will display at top of screen once I hit "enter". Map works now also, its kind of dark and sometimes comes up too dark(the chat might be that way also). The aircraft from the demo "Pfalz DIII" the dark grey color seems to be semi-transparent now. If I fly over buildings I can see them thru it. Theres no fog on a voodoo and ground textures at a distance come up solid still.

If some palette issues can't be resolved, we may be able to paint replacement bmps for situations like the chat and map pop up screens. The maps are known and the chat bmp can probably be figured out or might be known also.

Reply 64 of 177, by Tanyrhiew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested it with two soundcards under win2k (works fineunder win98SE):

Soundblaster Live Value
ESS Maestro 1 (Used to be called the Videologic Sonic Fury in the UK)

I dont think its a soundcard issue as both have the same problems under win2k - hanging sound (e.g the startup sound repeats continously for about 2 mins)

More likely a win2k problem

Hope it helps

Reply 65 of 177, by rens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is something all of us have to check:

do you have the latest drivers for your card ?? (the openGL driver comes with it) openGL is not an easy standard and many vendors have trouble with it.......

the sound stuttering / etcetera is a problem I once experienced with a virus checker taking too much time to complete its checks.
maybe worth trying to disable the viruschecker and see what happens. Soundcards looping is a matter of timing / they missed the sound off/ new sound command.....

Since you are not using glide here, but openGL (which in fact is a superset of Glide)
==> the quality of the openGL driver is crucial....

nvidia usually has reasonable/ proper support, allthough first releases on new hardware are usually buggy.

==> NB!
I saw someone testing on voodoo3.
I tested on my v5. and on my (other pc) TNT2

==> the v5 and TNT2 results are *not* the same, and therefore confusing and maybe misleading !! <===

since it makes no sense using a wrapper on a voodoo card, I think we should not post such voodoo results for other purposes then curiosity-value.....

===> also, the OpenGL for voodoo3 is broken on versions higher then 1.05

Reply 66 of 177, by Thor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Salute! All,

First my congratulations to Glidos. Well done sir! As spoken by others you have done in a few days what many of us RB'rs have searched long for.

SP - Campaign observations and soundcard w/latest OpenGL and Glide.dll

system = WinMe on P4 1.3 768 ram GeForce3 64mb DDR SantaCruz sound (Dell OEM)

Game play for two hours.

What can I say - its great! 😎

All graphics preferences set to maximum. FPS ~30 to 45 in Direct Draw was getting maybe 65 fps.

Only challenge being intermittent freeze or lockup of kneeboard (keypad #5 (w/numlock off)) to access inflight map and recon photo, etc.. This I can correct by waiting a few and trying again.

Inflight GUI of screen control - like objects terrain view joystick etc.. seems to stutter. and mouse a bit jumpy again NP. Some of the custom music I have installed stuttered also again NP.

Did see occasional mixed texture of aircraft (ie. blocky shapes) so far on full WFP campaign patch, intermittent only. These appeared on damaged sections of aircraft and NP on ground.

Going to try Rens suggestion and turn off AV next test.

Terrains EXCELLENT! Fog, clouds, trees I forgot I was missing so much...

Glidos you ever get out in the wild west mister I owe you a beer

😁

Last edited by Thor on 2002-09-09, 16:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Thor

Reply 69 of 177, by Heini

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The remaining artifacts on my system:

artifacts.jpg

An outside view:

sopwith.jpg

Cockpit view:

rb_f2view.jpg

My system: P900, 384 MB, GF2 Ti with 30.82 drivers.
Stock RB graphics with only new landscape fully cranked up.
The fps on the screenies might look low, but in fact it runs very smooth, smoother than on my seperate Banshee partition so I´m not sure if they are correctly shown ...
Getting from about 19 to 48 fps. Even smooth with about a dozen planes dogfight. So it´s very playable already !

Thanks for all the work yet done 😀 😀 😀
Hopefully some of those artifacts can be quashed 😁

Reply 72 of 177, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We might want to get that PC Gamer Flight Sim guy in here. simcolumn@pcgamer.com

Would probly mention GliDos and VOGONS....Hopefully not Vogons. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 73 of 177, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Winkle you've got the very latest version don't you? The 0.06b9 version of openGLid.ini is the latest I think, its been updated twice already. Reason I as is because i've seen those shots over at SimHQ for a few days now so thought you might not be aware of the updates.

Reply 76 of 177, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had the same problem with the sound skipping. I believe the source of the problem is the crappy sound drivers that Creative put out for the Sound Blaster Audigy in Windows 2000. Of course, you all might not have an SBAudigy, but it makes sense.

One suggestion is to go into the Sounds & Multimedia CPL, go to Audio, click the first Advanced button, and turn down the Hardware Acceleration slider to the second-lowest setting. This has resolved problems for me with studdery sound in W2K in the past, although it means that you don't get surround sound (although in most games that have a problem with the drivers, surround sound isn't an option 😀).

Regarding framerates... remember that movie film runs at 24fps, and that looks smooth. Anything below that, however, and it very quickly starts looking like a slide show.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 77 of 177, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have never had any Problems with my SBLive Full + Livedrive setup, in Win9x/2k/XP.

But the new Unified drivers you can get are superb.
And it's well worth the £1/$1 asking price for the complete CD.

In XP, these drivers do a great job, and sound great.

BTW, if you have a Geforce4, have you tried the 30.82 drivers ?

This week SHOULD see a new detonater set for both Win9x and WinXP that addresses all the faults of 40.41.
So keep an eye out for them.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 78 of 177, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VonHelton wrote:

Seems the Geoforce 4 is the one that's working.......Geoforce 3's are fraught with probs!

Don't think so. Just tried Paul's most recent modified DLL with the Red Baron 3D demo and it worked almost flawlessly (occasional slowdowns).

GeForce 3 Ti200
Celeron 1.7 Ghz
512Meg DDR RAM

Version 30.82 Video drivers

Reply 79 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Don't think so. Just tried Paul's most recent modified DLL with the Red Baron 3D demo and it worked almost flawlessly (occasiona […]
Show full quote

Don't think so. Just tried Paul's most recent modified DLL with the Red Baron 3D demo and it worked almost flawlessly (occasional slowdowns).

GeForce 3 Ti200
Celeron 1.7 Ghz
512Meg DDR RAM

Version 30.82 Video drivers

Hmmmmmm...........Are you on XP or 2000 by chance? Maybe that's the problem?