VOGONS

Common searches

RB3D works 99%

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 84 of 177, by Jeff Lackey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

We might want to get that PC Gamer Flight Sim guy in here. simcolumn@pcgamer.com

Would probly mention GliDos and VOGONS....Hopefully not Vogons. 😉

Well, I'm not Andy (the "PC Gamer sim guy" - he's a buddy) but I do cover sims for a couple of mags and I'm a contributing editor for Computer Gaming World - and Red Baron 3D is one of my top 10 games of all time, of any type. And one of my "5 Essential Flight Sims." And I'm REALLY excited by the hope that this works. I've kept a Voodoo next to my GeForce cards for a while, just to play RB3D, but I just built a new machine and I've had problems finding good Windows XP drivers for my Voodoo 2. If this really works, I'll see if I can get a small news item written up for CGW, something that might get people fired up about RB3D again. BTW - for such an article - where would you point people to pick up a copy of RB3D these days? (I'm not giving up any of my 4 copies! 🤣!

Jeff

Reply 85 of 177, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.interactcd.com/ has it listed as Red Baron 3-D for around $10.00

I just read (in one of those British flight sim mags) about another discount place that has it, but they put their own installer on it and it winds up telling the buyer that RB3D won't run on XP and not installing the game which is obviously wrong. Jeez.

Reply 87 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😁

Setting priority to 2 has fixed my sound prob!!

HELLO WORLD!!

😁 😁 😁

Unfortunately, I'm now having some FR trouble, so I disabled sunglare & clouds in my RB Prefs, and my FR is much better!

(My Prop Animations are set to low as well.)

😀

Reply 88 of 177, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great! Sound problems fixed. I'll update the OpenGLid.INI file on
my website.

What's with the chat feature? I type <backspace> and I get a
flashing grey cursor; press <enter> and it goes away. But typing text in does nothing. Is this something I need to fix, or is it because I'm playing the demo in solo mode?

Reply 89 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This flashing grey is a general incompatability. It makes its presence known in many situations:

Too quick on the F keys will reproduce it.
Going to the Knee Map one time too often will produce it.
Enabling MMP Chat will produce it.

I suspect it's trying to tell us something, but I have no idea what the message is!

🙁

Reply 90 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno_Stachel wrote:

I'm running it on a GeForce 3 Ti 500 under Win98 and don't have any problems now I've changed the texture setting to 6 from 8 (I was getting some zebra stripes until then).

S! Herr Bruno!

Hmmmmmmm........!!!!

If going from 6 to 8 clears up some distortion, maybe going from 6 to 4 will eliminate the remainder of the transparency probs!?!

😁 😁 😁 😁

Reply 91 of 177, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

What's with the chat feature? I type <backspace> and I get a
flashing grey cursor; press <enter> and it goes away. But typing text in does nothing. Is this something I need to fix, or is it because I'm playing the demo in solo mode?

If you go into preferences and select DD (direct draw) you will see the way the chat GUI displays. It displays the same in DD or Glide. I loaded up the demo and tested it out to be sure, the chat feature works in solo.

Heres a picture of how the demo looks with some improved graphics on a voodoo 3000 not using your wrapper and showing the chat GUI. You should be able to see the txt in the GUI at the bottom as you are typing it in. You should also be able to select who it goes to with the arrow keys directly to lower right from the main keyboard. This is something that would definitely be good to have fixed with the wrapper.

Attachments

• Filename
    snap093.jpg
    File size
    34.5 KiB
    Downloads
    400 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Hentzau on 2002-09-11, 09:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 92 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hentzau wrote:

If you go into preferences and select DD (direct draw) you will see the way the chat GUI displays. It displays the same in DD or Glide. I loaded up the demo and tested it out to be sure, the chat feature works in solo.

Heres a picture of how the demo looks with some improved graphics on a voodoo 3000 not using your wrapper and showing the chat GUI. You should be able to see the txt in the GUI at the bottom as you are typing it in. You should also be able to select who it goes to with the arrow keys directly to lower right from the main keyboard. This is something that would definitely be good to have fixed with the wrapper.

........Guess you could say:

"It's not my Pfalz!"

HAHAHAHAHA!!

🤣!!

😁

😁

Reply 93 of 177, by Unregistered

User metadata
VonHelton wrote:

If going from 6 to 8 clears up some distortion, maybe going from 6 to 4 will eliminate the remainder of the transparency probs!?!

😁 😁 😁 😁

I initially dropped it to 2 (thinking it was like the old 2Mb limit on the VooDoos which caused the same thing) but the frame rate for me was horrific (about 7 fps). Increasing the value improved the frame rate. I settled on 6 as it seemed to have removed the zebra stripes but remained fast enough to use.

Reply 95 of 177, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got to tell you, Glidos is making a lot of RBers quite happy right now! 😀

As much as has happened, I almost feel guilty to ask for a bit more, but do you think it would be possible at some point to enable the 1024X768 resolution?

Thanks again for all of the great work... it really is quite amazing!!

Reply 98 of 177, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Definitely, anything else you need Glidos just ask. Could send you a full game exe and mplayer.ini file that should let you try it online in an island server, or a set of Maps with the palette from Flybert's site to help with the map and chat issues maybe or figure out what colors may be more wrapper friendly(if it works like that?) and apply a new palette or something if that might work. Could repost issues with the wrapper from those forums to here. Whatever you need just ask.

I know of 5 forums where this is being discussed right now, 3 at Delphi, 1 at SimHQ, 1 at WoV. It will probably end up on 50 forums or so when it makes it to all the squadron forums.