VOGONS

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The oldest version of FRAPS I can find is 1.9d, and it doesn't seem to run under W95. Is there an earlier version that does, or another app that will work?

Also I doesn't appear that Fraps works in Glide - is this true?

Reply 2 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only way to capture Glide games is either to run them in a wrapper and then capture with Fraps or buy a VGA capture device.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also recommend a VGA capture device. These are PCIe cards and quite affordable (though not dirt cheap). A cheaper option are VGA to -S-video converters (lower quality though but often good enough).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alternatively there's many Voodoo3's with S-video out. Only real problem is their EGA/VGA handling leading to garbled images

Of course, s-video capture quality varies a lot and it only works best at native NTSC 720x480. some 720x480 XL-R8R footage

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice!

I have tried heaps of cards with S-Video out (no 3D cards though) and most have issues at certain resolutions or settings. That's the main reason why I use the VGA to S-Video converter. It takes whatever resolution and records it in acceptable quality.

But for specific captures direct S-Video from the cards gives the best quality. PAL cards have higher resolution but lower frame rate.

Reply 9 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't bother with old Fraps because of the 30fps max and also the terrible speed of writing to a old FAT12/16/32 drive might be excruciating while playing.

And for the record, Fraps doesn't work on SGL either. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem