VOGONS

First post, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a mac mini (2004-05) PowerPC G4, with 1 gig RAM and 1.42GHz. I have recently downloaded DOSBox, and mounted the C: drive using http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about14352.html this guide. I have a folder in "username" entitled "DOS". I have typed in DOSBox "mount c ~/DOS -freesize 1000, and it says 'Drive c is mounted as local directory /users/myusername/DOS/.' So I assume drive c: is now "mounted" according the the guide(s). NOW, I have to figure out how to install Daggerfall! I read I must type: mount d c:\DOS\DFCD -t cdrom -label Daggerfall after putting in the DAGGER and DFCD folders into the DOS folder. I did that. But when I do that it says: 'directory c:/DOS/DFCD doesn't exist.' WHAT? I don't understand wat I am doing wrong? I assume this is mounting DOSBox to tell it there is a fake CD.

Can anyone please help me? I have been working on this for days now and I am really starting to get irritated at my computer!! I just want to be able to play Daggerfall SO BAD!

And I have already tried Boxer, which is much easier, I have installed the game on that, it is just that it is a complete lagfest and I was hoping that DOSBox would be better because it has all the options to optimize it like frameskip and stuff....

Thanks in Advance! please help! 🙁

Reply 2 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You really think so, even if I change the frameskip to 1 and the core to simple and all that stuff? I can't optimize it?

Do you have any other suggestions? Should I just buy an old Win95 laptop and the actual game? Problem is, the game costs 50 bucks.....

Darn....

Reply 3 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can try, but if you can't get it running fast enough, then you know it is your computer.
1.4 ghz on a platform that has no dynamic core and is even in the wrong endian. (compared to the machine you emulate).

In my previous post I told you what the correct path for the cdrom mount would be.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help, so I basically need to type:

mount d c:/users/myusername/DOS/DFCD -t cdrom -label Daggerfall ?

Also, I saw an article entitled "Easily install Daggerfall, Doom and Many CLassic Games on Linux" on google (sorry I don't have the link) it uses a program called DBGL which I think goes along with DOSBox but is better for mac and stuff? I don't know, just asking if anyone knows anything about it...
Imma try the new 'mount d...' right now.
Hopefully this works!

Reply 6 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SOOO, I just tried that, and it says directory c:/Users/myusername/DOS/DFCD doesn't exist????
c'mon!!

I know that I mounted the DOS folder in my username, and have the DAGGER and DFCD folder located in that folder!

Reply 7 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really sorry for the triple post, but now I have even a weirder, bigger problem!!

Whenever I quit DOSBox, and open it again, it unmounts my c: drive!! I can go in, type C:, and it says I must mount it first, so I do, and then I type C:, and it goes to it, then when I quit and come back in it says I must mount it again, it un-mounts!!!

GRRRR....

Reply 8 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, dosbox doesn't save the mounts on its own. You have to edit ~/library/preferences/dosbox 0.74 preferences and change the autoexec section.

If dosbox says you can't mount a fokder because it doesn't exist then it doesn't exist, meaning you made a mistake in writing it. Most likely 'myusername' <- this is meant for you to fill in your real user name.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh no, I know I had to put my own username haha! I just wasn't putting it online!

Well, I give up on DOSBox.... for now...

Does anybody know anything about BOxer (for mac)? I installed Daggerfall on it easily, it's just very laggy, I have changed some settings and stuff, and added frameskip=1 (it says I can add settings from DOSBox) but are there any other settings I can optimize for it? I am just choosing right now not to believe that a 2004-5 Mac Mini 1gb RAM 1.4GHz cannot run games like a 1995 Win95-8 with half a gig RAM and little GHz....

Reply 10 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When the developer of DOSBox states that it will be too slow you might want to listen to him.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You don't have to have DOSBox to use Boxer, it is the mac version of DOSBox.

I downloaded Boxer and NOT DOSBox and played Daggerfall (yeah with lag, but still, I didn't use DOSBox)

Reply 14 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old Win95-8 computer at work, I think I will just get it and run Daggerfall in classic MSDOS. If that doesn't work, there are plenty of forum posts on other sites and this one about very good laptops and computers to play old DOS games on.

Now, I just have to wait... until Monday...

Reply 15 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Boxer uses dosbox, a modified one but still dosbox.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 18, by evanallmighty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh yeah I know that, it's like, a mac version, but you don't have to download a version of DOSBox in order to use Boxer, it's in Boxer, it's what Boxer is.
I though you meant that Boxer USED a copy of DOSBox.

Reply 17 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

We all know what boxer is, we just wonder how you think it wouldn't lag if you know it is dosbox.

Reply 18 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

boxer is a dosbox frontend for mac though the boxer author insists that it is seriously different. In any way if you want help *here* use dosbox and specify the problem correctly and exhaustively, if you really think you can ignore Qbix's advice.