Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1280 of 52859, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I dont fully understand the fascination with boxed hardware and NOT opening it. When i get sealed games, I just L-O-V-E to open it and enjoy it! The people that build box-forts out of sealed boxes just seems strange. 🙁

The point is that it is new and will always be new for as long as it is unopened. All the things that came packed in with it that normally would get thrown away are also with it. You can always find a used one of whatever it is for a lot less money for actual use.

This still doesn't answer why you don't OPEN it. Just because you open it and enjoy it, doesn't mean that you're going to throw anything away. Since we are all retro computing enthusiasts, I know that it would still be kept in immaculate /mint condition even if you opened it and used it for a little bit.

I guess what we're trying to say is: How can you enjoy it if you never get to use it? The only way would be to have another copy of it. Which is probably what most of us have. "One on shelf, one for me" 😉

Last edited by Jan3Sobieski on 2012-07-26, 18:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1281 of 52859, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't use my CT1770, which was purchased brand new in box about 10 years ago...
but I did open it, tested it, and admired at how cool all the stuff that was included were.... that to me is more enjoyable than looking at a stupid box.... if I want to reseal it, I just go find someone to help me shrink wrap it again.... big deal

for all we know, those "new" cards you buy off ebay is filled with just garbage inside.... unless you opened the box, you will never know if it was true or not

I always carefully open my boxes... I cut the shrink wrap around the box flap that way most of it stays with the box... I also cut the seal tape and not try to rip it off... less damage to the box... as for everything inside, I carefully open them too

if I needed/wanted to use a CT1770, I'd go get another without the box off ebay and just use that... no worries about the immaculate one getting fried 😀

Reply 1282 of 52859, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks guys! for the ones who cannot figure out which are some of the boards: the three cards next to the DB50XG board are two PCX1 cards (the one with the 'futuristic' heatsinks is a NEC one and the other is a Videologic one(apocalypse 3d) and well, the other is a powervr PCX2 based card which has two saturn controller ports and, as some of you might guess, lets you use saturn lightguns if you have the drivers to do so. It doesn't have any kind of video memory but the powervr generic drivers are installable and treats it as a pcx2 board, however you can't play any games with it cuz of the missing memory 😀

The black voodoo 1 which says 3dfx is a 4mb reference model and has two little heatsinks. It says colormania in the back of the board. The two voodoo 2 12mb boards are made by IO/data and, as you can see, they have S-VIDEO and composite connections. These cards use the special passthrough connector that Canopus introduced for their PURE3D V1 cards and yes, as you see in the pic now I have two of them 😜

also, yes, that is a PCI to PCI-E x1 adapter I bought on ebay 😀 physically it's very unstable but.. it works like a charm! I recently fired up my main pc (I7 2600k, 8gb 2133 ram, tri 680) with just that v5 5500 pci and quake3 worked without problems 😀 I also tried it with the voodoo rush and the card was detected without problems 😜

congratulations too for all of that great hardware shown by many of you here!

Reply 1283 of 52859, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

You bought that Canopus Spectra 5400 that was on ebay recently? I was debating that one myself.

nope, it is a canopus spectra 8800 and I didn't buy it on ebay. It is a geforce 2 ultra with a better power phase, a vga daughterboard which results in crystal clear picture, improved cooler with copper heatsinks and 4ns ram 😀 my god, back in 2000/1 these cards were only sold in japan in limited quanities for the yen equivalent of 800 bucks! I'd suggest you to buy that geforce 256 if you can, because at least in my case there is a night and day difference when comparing its signal quality to the one of a normal GF.. even beats that of a matrox card.. 😁

Reply 1284 of 52859, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah.... nvidia never had good 2D video, even today
ATI & Matrox were the leaders in graphics in the late 80s, so they had a head start in perfecting 2D... whereas nvidia didn't really care much as they focused on 3D when they first came into the game in the late 90s

Reply 1285 of 52859, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More goodies arrived this week!

Creative Game Blaster CT1300A
dscf6282.jpg

Asus CUSL2 i815e Chipset Motherboard (Zoom In)
dscf6291c.jpg

Asus CUSL2 i815e Chipset Motherboard (Zoom Out)
dscf6278p.jpg

Asus CUSL2 i815e Chipset Motherboard with Coppermine PIII-1Ghz (133 Mhz FSB), 256MB PC133 RAM, 3COM NIC, and AudioPCI Sound Card. Best deal ever on this combo.
dscf6272z.jpg

Reply 1288 of 52859, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
FINALLY!!! […]
Show full quote

FINALLY!!!

A preview of things to come. 😀

enso1.jpg
enso4.jpg

Wow, I just can't believe you spend $400 on this. Congrats nonetheless! 😀

Reply 1289 of 52859, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
FINALLY!!! […]
Show full quote

FINALLY!!!

enso1.jpg
enso4.jpg

It's definitely a nice card, I'll give you that, but don't you think that spending more than €300 on this thing isn't a little bit excessive? 😉 By combining a good ISA sound card (the Terratec EWS64XL for example) with a Roland Sound Canvas, you get a superior combination for less money in my opinion. Of course having the box and manuals is part of the fun as well, so in that regard you've got a nice deal! 😀

Reply 1290 of 52859, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
Artex wrote:
FINALLY!!! […]
Show full quote

FINALLY!!!

enso1.jpg
enso4.jpg

Wow, I just can't believe you spend $400 on this. Congrats nonetheless! 😀

Yeah, it REALLY shot up in price in the last 5 seconds of the auction. However, I've been looking for one of these for a LONG time to complete my collection. I am gonna sell off some other Ensoniq SoundScape S-2000 cards I no longer need, so that should help with some of the cost. But to find a boxed version is nuts!

Reply 1291 of 52859, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the entire range of Ensoniq cards now (S-2000, Opus, AudioPCI & Elite!), plus almost the entire range of SoundBlaster cards starting with the CT1300A (just need CT1320, and CT1330), Roland gear including the SCB-55 (SCD-15) daughterboard, SCC-1A full length ISA Card, and finally some Yamaha goodness - SW60XG, DB50XG, and NEC XR385!

I think I'm covered for MIDI now. Just missed out on the LAPC-I that went for $202.00 last week. 🙁

I just started this collection of goodies this year after wave of nostalgia hit me and it's become a total obsession. I feel like a hoarder, and it can be $$$ for some of the rarer pieces, but wow - so much fun!

Reply 1292 of 52859, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

I feel like a hoarder, and it can be $$$ for some of the rarer pieces, but wow - so much fun!

I know what you mean 🤣, my place is starting to look like a warehouse. That is why i do not like boxed versions much. Spare cards take less place, which means you can have more cards!

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 1293 of 52859, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:
Artex wrote:

I feel like a hoarder, and it can be $$$ for some of the rarer pieces, but wow - so much fun!

I know what you mean 🤣, my place is starting to look like a warehouse. That is why i do not like boxed versions much. Spare cards take less place, which means you can have more cards!

Hah! Glad I'm not alone.. I guess that's why this board exists in the first place. 😀

I cannot believe how much I've accumulated since April. I originally wanted to build my original mid-90's machine. It then snowballed into building 4 machines - one for each generation of machine I had starting with Pentium P54C, P55C, Pentium II, and Pentium III with various video card setups (Voodoo, Voodoo2 SLI, TNT2 Ultra). And THEN I began my obsession with sound card collecting.... So addicting....

Reply 1295 of 52859, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam back again. Iam not moved to my new house.. So that have to wait a little bit longer.. I see its now harder to get stuff on ebay. So i thought my chances are now and not to wait much longer..

So i decide to buy some stuff for my 486 build i am going te make..

This is what i have got:

x5w6yu.jpg

1. Tekram VLB cache controller I/O card
2. Winbond VLB I/O Controller to use 4 harddisks.
3. Diamond StealtH VLB 4MB graphics card..

I got this stuff from an other computer lover.. But he decide to sell this stuff because its hard to get..
Now its mine.. (have to wait when its arrives here)..

I also thought to buy replacements as needed..

Diamond VLB Speedstart with 60ns memory..

1z2njf5.jpg

Mine card has all of the 8 memory chips onboard.

And

(not really happy)

35koa2t.jpg

An VIPER VLB.. Its seems it isnt that great dos card, actually i didnt know that..

EDIT: Pictures fixed.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2012-07-31, 10:22. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~