VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the CD version of Monkey Island working with the MT-32?

I have the Bounty Pack version that has CD audio which sounds really good, but I just want to hear my old girl sing the Monkey Island intro theme, as I love the music.

I read somewhere that MT-32 support was removed from the CD version, but if that is the case why is the ROLAND.IMS file included with the game, also the MONKEY.INI file have the following lines implying MT-32 support.

[hardware configuration]
gmidi = 0
roland = 0
soundblaster = 1
internal = 0
voice = 0
joystick = 0
keyboard = 0
mouse = 1
voicebuffer = 8
rolandport = 0
gmidiport = 0
soundblasterport = 0
soundblasterirq = 0
[end]

But no matter what I try my MT-32 wont sing with this game. I have tried starting the game with monkey r but this does not work, i have also tried adjusting the INI file (roland = 1, rolandport = 330) but again no joy. Al that happens is the CD audio plays, but no MT-32 action at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried playing around with this as well, no luck for me either. I think this was a similar case with LucasArts' TIE-Fighter on the X-Wing Collection CD, the real Roland seems to like the original floppy version only.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 9, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

I tried playing around with this as well, no luck for me either. I think this was a similar case with LucasArts' TIE-Fighter on the X-Wing Collection CD, the real Roland seems to like the original floppy version only.

Thanks for also having a go, its a real shame they removed MT-32 support for this version, I would have loved to get it working. The fact that the roland.ims file is included still makes me hold hope that it is possible somehow.

Reply 3 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hear you, I love using the real hardware! I have my Sound Canvas on top of the MT-32 just in case I want to play a GS or General Midi compatible game. I had a similar issue with the Direct2Drive release of X-Com, Roland support was all but broken. One of the other forum users gave me a link to a fixed file for that game.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 4 of 9, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Monkey Island CD has no MT-32 nor any other MIDI music. There's only the CD audio tracks.

However, if you have the Special Edition for PC, you can convert it into a true DOS talkie version with MT-32, General MIDI and Adlib music using my Ultimate Talkie Edition Builder: http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html
It also fixes a lot of original bugs. See the readme.txt for details.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 5 of 9, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marek wrote:

The Monkey Island CD has no MT-32 nor any other MIDI music. There's only the CD audio tracks.

However, if you have the Special Edition for PC, you can convert it into a true DOS talkie version with MT-32, General MIDI and Adlib music using my Ultimate Talkie Edition Builder: http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html

Blimey O'Riley, that is AWESOME, I had no idea that existed, many thanks for the info, I will check out 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
manic232 wrote:

Thanks for also having a go, its a real shame they removed MT-32 support for this version, I would have loved to get it working. The fact that the roland.ims file is included still makes me hold hope that it is possible somehow.

Isn't there a version of ScummVM with MT-32 emulation included? (Yes, emulation isn't the same as real hardware, I suppose, but for testing purposes it might be useful.)

Reply 8 of 9, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
manic232 wrote:

Can I ask does your tool work with the Steam version of MI SE?

It does. I tested it with the Steam version and with the DVD version. And it was reported to work with other PC download versions as well. (The only difference is the executable, which isn't required)

The XBOX version may or may not work. I got no feedback for that so far.

Other system's releases won't work, since they use different codecs.

Jorpho wrote:

Isn't there a version of ScummVM with MT-32 emulation included?

It's in the official version. It needs the original ROM files, though.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 9 of 9, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marek wrote:

Hello again, I have just got round to playing about with your tools, I have to say, I am very impressed indeed, it has totally solved my problem, i love the fact that you have included MT-32 support, well done on a totally awesome set of tools. I'm looking forward to the final non BETA of the MI2 tools.