VOGONS

First post, by Remi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had been spending a few hours trying to get this sound driver to work in Dosbox SVN (don't remember which SVN but it was before 2012), and I am able to get GUS 3.59 installed but I am having issues at the diagnostics testing screen. This is even after I set my numbers correctly and match it with the conf file.

Check I/0 Address: Passed
Check SBOS Mode: Sbos vector not functional
Check DMA CHannel: Passed
CHeck DRAM: Passed
CHeck UltraSound IRQ: Passed
Check SB/MIDI IRQ: SB/Midi IRQ Timeout

Settings:

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=3
hdma=1
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

gus=True
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\GAMES\ULTRASND

I tried using the pre made 4.11 drivers, but my dosbox does not recognize it despite the fact that I point it to the directory were it is in the .conf file, and I heard it has issues with Mortal Kombat 2 which is what I been trying to get working along with other games. Could be an Soundblaster Issue that I am missing. I would appreciate some help.

Reply 1 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox isn't supporting SBOS and MegaEm. Or, to be precise, isn't supporting NMI and VCPI.
So, if you need Sound Blaster - use sbtype=, not the GUS emulation.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 5, by Remi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright. You are telling me to disable soundblaster? I don't get it. I set it to none, and I still am not getting no music or some games won't refuse to start like this after typing ultramid.exe like this one for example:

An Error has occured while running PC Blackthrone

Unable to initialize digital sound driver. Run setup.exe

I am still getting no music though I do get sound effects at least on some games. Sorry about this.

Reply 3 of 5, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, he's telling you not to emulate a Sound Blaster with the GUS, the diagnostics screen will always report those errors for the reasons Gamecollector stated.
As for Blackthorne, make sure you have the ultrapatches installed; you're running ultramid; the sound is configured as Gravis (at least for music) and the Sound Blaster settings don't conflict with the GUS ones in the .conf file.

Reply 4 of 5, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like you may have the pro patches installed. Blackthorne will only work without them.

You also have to run setupg.bat and bthorneg.bat for GUS.

My AdLib recordings

Reply 5 of 5, by Remi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aw, you would not believe this but, setting my Ultrasnd directory to the default C:\Ultrasnd solved all my problems when I realize that the midi player was refusing to play music out of C:\Games\Ultrasnd even when I changed the directory within ultrasnd.ini. I don't know if Turning off soundblaster in mega-em did anything, but if it did then alright. Funny how it took almost three days to figure that one out. Again, thanks to everyone who helped.