VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dreamcast may be a dead commercial console but there's still loads of homebrew emulation on it including scummvm and freesci. so is there any chance of porting DOSBOX to it, it would be well good to see all my old pc games running on the big screen with dolby digital 🤣!

Reply 3 of 13, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, given that the Dreamcast's CPU can't even handle SNES emulation at good framerates and has trouble with >700kbps Divx playback, I seriously doubt a Dreamcast DOSBox port could run anything but QBasic games. Maaaybe some early CGA games that ran on 4.77MHz PC XTs, but that's kind of too limited a catalog for a port to be worth it.

Sad really, because the Dreamcast is a loveable little system. It just doesn't have enough horsepower.

Reply 4 of 13, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you really want to see all your Dos games on your big screen with dolby pro logic all you need is a TV-Out video card and a Sound Blaster Live! or Aduigy (with some decent speakers). But I guess it just comes down to cost. At the moment my only monitor is a 29" inch TV screen since my monitor crapped out. It's excellent for games but it's pretty rough on the ol' eyes... I'd take the monitor over the TV anyday! (dreaming of a 19" monitor for X-mas)

Reply 5 of 13, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure some people do, but I don't care so much about running DOS games on a TV... when I played 'em for the first time it was on a (by modern standards at least) crummy little 15" VGA monitor, so a larger and better quality monitor is the ideal format for maximum emulation nostalgia / improvement... for me at least.

Likewise, old console games are better served by playing 'em with a USB gamepad on a TV-output-capable PC.

Reply 8 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's called DOSXbox
http://xport.xbox-scene.com/emutemplate.php?emu=dosxbox

You can only find it on IRC.
Try irc.zoite.net #xboxemu, or #xbins on EFNet

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 13, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just makin' sure, all of these xbox emulator ports require a modchipped xbox to use, right? The cool thing about the Dreamcast was that the custom software prohibition could be circumvented purely via software... do tons of people out there really have modded PS2s and xboxes for this kind of stuff?

Reply 12 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought you could run unsigned executables on an unmodified X-Box by running a gauntlet of hacks, but it usually requires a modifed X-Box to help the unmodified one along in the tough spots.

OTOH, I don't own an X-Box. But the hacks, in and of themselves, are interesting.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 13, by almightyjustin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, QBasic games, being interpreted, are much slower than regular DOS games and would be even less likely to run. Just try running some in DosBox sometime. 😜

I still have several QBasic 3D engines around that got in the single digit frames per second...

Swim, swim, hungry! Stupid fish.