VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been playing this game for the first time. I'm really enjoying its tactical gameplay, especially now that after 9 missions I think I have the interface figured out!

Anyway, I ran into a problem where after I quit the game if I tried to run it again it would kill Windows 98. Homeworld.exe would crash and Windows would immediately hard lock. After some pulling/swapping hardware I narrowed it down to the sound. If there is no sound card, it doesn't lock up. After more testing I found that it was specifically caused by moving to DirectX 8. DirectX 7 is fine, but DirectX 8-9 cause the lock up.

This is v1.05 of the game.

I don't recall running into a backward compatibility problem like this with DirectX before.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-09-03, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I don't recall running into a backward compatibility problem like this with DirectX before.

To take a wild guess: maybe DirectX 8 supports features that the game tries to use but that aren't properly supported by the sound card? (What sound card are you using, anyway?)

I'm not sure if they came in with DirectX 8, but it used to seem to me that EAX and A3D and such forth caused nothing but problems and that they were better left disabled.

Reply 3 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried with both a Audigy 2 and a Vortex 2. Davros' command line switches didn't help unfortunately.

I swapped from the KT333 motherboard to a nForce2 and that didn't solve it. However, I've found that this crash also occurs with WinME's DirectX 7.1. So it's not DirectX 8 but apparently anything newer than DirectX 7.0a.

Did some more web searching and I found a thread in which it is said that Homeworld itself does something to DirectX when it quits. It's not just Homeworld that will crash if you try to start it again, but anything that uses DirectX (even dxdiag on Me).
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?37 … iting-Homeworld

Reply 4 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound drivers up-to-date? Tried disabling Sound H/W accel. in DXDiag? Maybe copying DirectSound dlls from DX 7.0 and pasting it to the game's folder before installing the new DX will allow you to play smoothly.

Reply 6 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using the Voodoo5 instead of a GeForce solved the problem.

I have been using a GF 6800. I also tried a GF2Ti. Both have the problem, in both D3D and OpenGL modes, and with drivers 28.32, 61.76 and 77.72. It's a strange bug considering I can play the game indefinitely but if I try to run any game after quitting Homeworld it's an instant lock up. And it's also a mystery as to why pulling the sound card solves this with the GeForces.

It looks better on the Voodoo5 too. The GeForce cards have color banding in the nebula. I imagine the game is unsurprisingly designed around Voodoo cards considering it's from 1999.

Reply 8 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was mistaken about only the Geforce having color banding in the nebula. Voodoo5 does it too. It's just not visible in some missions. The banding could be caused by my Dell 2405FPW LCD or it's just something about tthe game even with 32bit color.

Also, Voodoo5 SSAA blurs way too much here. The game UI becomes almost unreadable. MSAA of Geforce 3+ doesn't have that effect.

Reply 11 of 15, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, I’m on a laptop with GeForce 2, directx 7.1 is installed. For some strange reason game looks worse in 32 bit vs 16. Why? I’ve got horrible banding in 32 bit:

DFDCB3C2-E832-4420-9010-3600711D8E8D.jpeg
Filename
DFDCB3C2-E832-4420-9010-3600711D8E8D.jpeg
File size
599.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Or it’s a normal behaviour in this game should we played in 16 bit?

Reply 13 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vorob wrote on 2022-05-19, 05:53:

Installed game on machine with ATI x1900 and there are no banding in 32bit. That’s a mystery.

Maybe try a different GF2 driver?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 14 of 15, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Turn driver option to maximum quality ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board