VOGONS

First post, by Kernel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to start a multiplayer game of Detroit between two instances of DosBox on my laptop, so that I know how to get it to work so that I can coax my friend who introduced me to Detroit to play a game of it with me.

I have gotten to the stage where I can get an emulated virtual link established between the two instances of Dosbox, however getting the game to actually work in multiplayer mode is proving difficult.

I put both the baud rates the same on each dosbox instance of Detroit, as well as the Com port (COM2) and I set the link type on both as Null. Then I set one as the master, and one was the slave.
The issue I'm having is when I hit connect as Slave, the game usually freezes (on the slave side, not the master side).
Also, when I set up the second player's company name and first model of car's name on the Master side, the master side freezes.

I did get it almost going once, where one Dosbox instance was uploading and the other was downloading (it was very slow), once they had both finished I got a "Cannot read from file". I then realised that I needed to make two copies of the Detroit game files so that each instance of Dos can use separate files. I have done this, but unfortunately have not gotten as far as I got last time.

I'm hoping I can solve this by trying to emulate a modem link instead of a serial link. To do this I will need to put the dosbox virtual modem dialing command ATDT in the Phone number field as well as the IP address (in this case 127.0.0.1). Unfortunately Detroit will only allow me to put numbers in the Phone number field.

Is there anyway I can hack the game so that I can put letters and full stops in the Phone number field?

Reply 2 of 4, by Kernel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a way to get around the issue of not being able to put ATDT127.0.0.1 as the phone number, by putting in 127000000001 as the phone number. However both DosBox instances freeze upon hitting connect. This happens even with HAL9000's Megabuild, which is meant to be focused on serial/modem emulation. In the debugger, nothing gives me any clue as to what might be going on, it's simply frozen on opening some .BIN file.

Reply 3 of 4, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried getting the game working with null modem and the games connect, but the game is either just odd or really buggy. The reason I say this is because even though the games connected, the game setup as master had to setup for both player 1 and player 2. It then transferred data to player 2, but then player 2 disconnected and the master went back to the screen where you can start or load a saved game. In the readme for this game it says that they had problems with modem play right before launch and they had removed it, but planned on releasing an update for it. It wouldn't surprise me if they never really got it working well.

I was hoping to get this game supported on my site, but it's a no-go at this time.

I did get Hammer of the Gods working though, but through the serial connection not IPX. It will not detect NetBIOS at all.

Last edited by CodeJunkie on 2012-09-25, 04:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Classic Gaming Arena
Home for all your DOS multiplayer gaming needs.

Reply 4 of 4, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm...I just tried the game with 9600 baud instead of 14400 and it seemed to work just fine. I'm using null modem.

Classic Gaming Arena
Home for all your DOS multiplayer gaming needs.