Common searches

Tardis knitting job!

Topic actions

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides messing with some hardware from time to time, I love a lot of other great things, which includes Doctor Who series and knitting. It's not like I'm some granny, I'm 21 years old and male, I just feel so relaxed during this knitting jobs and after that. That's fantastic 😀

So the other day I was at home not knowing what to do and than I thought "Well, winter's coming, it's knitting time!)". So I guessed that this time I wanted a sweater for a cold Siberian winter with something special on it. And that something special would be Tardis from Doctor Who series.

I looked up some photos on the internet, took a picture of a Tardis, used Photoshop to turn it into 6-color image of the exact size I needed. Took a lot of work, really. Then I opened mspaint on my Pentium MMX PC. Windows 98 paint is the righteous paint, this Seven-style paint is annoying and can no longer do the pixel-art job. I carefully edited the picture so that it would posess no half-tones and so that it would be nice and crisp.

TARDIS%20Photo.jpg TARDISenlarged.jpg

With the special free software called StitchArtEasy (lame name, but a very nice thing indeed) I converted the image into a scheme and printed it.

After pucking the threads, I started to work and here's what I've got after 2 weeks:

P1010322.JPG

It's on the top of a sweater my girlfriend gave me as a Christmas present last year... I feel perfectly comfortable in it, so I decided to stick to it's measures.

P1010321.JPG

If you still give a damn, that's what the backside of it looks like. I try to be as carefull as I can, so I use multiple threads so that the result would be of a better quality.

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2012-10-07, 16:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 24, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's really cool! Looks really good so far. I know what you mean about Win7 paint; it's nicer for doodling but way worse for precise stuff. I actually copied the Paint executable from a WinXP machine onto my main Win7 system and renamed it Paint Classic, and I find myself using it fairly often.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 3 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you 😀 btw, I think it'll have "It's bigger on the inside" letters on the back 😀

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2012-10-07, 16:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 24, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Besides messing with some hardware from time to time, I love a lot of other great things, which includes Doctor Who series and knitting. It's not like I'm some granny, I'm 21 years old and male, I just feel so relaxed during this knitting jobs and after that. That's fantastic :)

Being able to relax is important. Few people truly understand how. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 24, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is very nice. Hats off.
I found myself enjoying Dr. Who quite a bit myself. It's a little goofy at times, but overall a great TV show.
That is inspiring me to actually get off my butt and start working on my hobbies again to.

Reply 10 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I didn't have much time recently, I finished the front part weeks ago, but was to lazy to update the thread... Here comes:

P1010333.JPG

The front part is supposed to be wide, wider than the rear part. There will also be a wide collar, or whatever you call it. I love cleavage on others, but I don't feel like wearing one. 😁

Reply 14 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice.

I like Dr. Who myself (perhaps a bit too much, I'll find myself watching re-runs when I should be doing other things).

I watched the Biopic that the BBC did recently on the early years with the folks that launched the show, very interesting stuff and lots of things I never knew (like how the Taris interior came about).

Now here is one thing that confuses me a bit. I guess in Britain it has always been a kids' show? And it is only recently with the advent of cable and sattelite TV that it comes up on anything other than PBS (public broadcast for those of you outside the US...basically govt. funded tv) and thus gets a much broader exposure.
Therefore, it seems much less of a "nerd" thing these days. I still have fond memories of staying up late on Sunday night to watch Doctor Who on the local PBS station. Anyway, back to my point: it was originally a kids' show and I guess to some extent still is *but* seems to have very adult themes for what is ostensibly a "kiddy" show. Maybe this is they aren't as over-protective in Britain, not sure. But people actually die on the show and some shows have very bittersweet resolutions (as opposed to, say, every episode of the A-team. Where somehow after unloading a a ton of ammunition in a firefight, no one is actually killed).

Anyway, I always thought this difference was interesting. And there is a certain amount of sex appeal in the new show (although I guess that's always been there, since the female companions are almost always attractive if not outright scantily clad). One buddy of mine described River Song as ten pounds of MILF in a 5 pound bag.

But anyway I've gone wayyy off track. Awesome sweater, wish I had knitting skills I'd finally have a Tom Baker era scarf, 🤣.

Reply 15 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, in case it wasn't clear, I don't consider it a children's program. I always thought it was aimed at the 15-30 crowd that was into sci-fi, that was why I was surprised to hear it described that way by one of the cast. To me it seems the show and the character of the Doctor has appeal across all age groups.

And again, awesome sweater.

Reply 16 of 24, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Me and my girlfriend watch Dr. Who almost every night lately.

Though we're on Season 6 now and Japanese Hulu doesn't have anything newer (or any of the inter-season etc. specials) 🙁

Watching how dry episode 1 of the original Dr. Who series is, I have trouble believing it was ever a kids' show.
Also, some random 70s episode I saw on Youtube that seemed to just be 36 hours of cricket...

Last edited by Jarvik7 on 2014-02-12, 08:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jarvik7 wrote:
Me and my girlfriend watch Dr. Who almost every night lately. […]
Show full quote

Me and my girlfriend watch Dr. Who almost every night lately.

Though we're on Season 6 now and Japanese Hulu doesn't have anything newer (or any of the inter-season etc. specials) 🙁

Watching how dry episode 1 of the original Dr. Who series is, I have trouble believing it was ever a kids' show.
Also, some random 70s episode I saw on Hulu that seemed to just be 36 hours of cricket...

🤣 that would have to be an episode with Peter Davison, don't remember which one. But cricket is like watching paint dry (to me, anyway...and I think baseball is slow-paced, a cricket match would probably put me to sleep).
Of the classic Doctors, I prefer Tom Baker, then Davison. Pertwee and Colin Baker are sort of a tie. I know everyone says Tom Baker, but he was the first actor I saw in the role so he sort of stuck with me. I didn't care much for Troughton. I don't think I ever saw any William Hartnell episodes, those may not have been available for broadcast for some reason or, more likely, they may not have thought US audiences would have patience for a B&W program in the 80s.

Of the "modern" Doctors I suppose Tennant is my favorite. But Matt Smith isn't bad either. I don't now how Capaldi is going to turn out, he has big shoes to fill. I really wish they hadn't made John Hurt a one-off, it would have been really interesting to see what he did with character.

Companions: Peri (Nicola Bryant) and Amy Pond, hands down. I think Peri just because I thought she was cute as hell and Amy Pond has an intesting character as well as being hot (Peri was a smidge whiny if I recall).

Reply 18 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I grew up with Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy as Doctor Who. I think it's pretty safe to say that Doctor Who sucked big time in the 80s. It wasn't until recently I could actually go back and watch more old doctor who. I am really impressed with the Hartnell and Troughton years. Some of the Pertwee era seems pretty decent too, but I really don't get why everyone likes the Tom Baker episodes so much. They probably should had stopped making Doctor Who after season 6.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not as much a hardcore fan as you guys, I've seen the very first two episodes with William Hartnell, which did not impress me, and all the media that came since the appearance of Paul McGann.

I have a lot of fun watching Star Trek The Original series, which runs almost beyond slowest pace I can currently enjoy. To my experience, the first episodes of Doctor Who are even slower :\

My favourite doctors are probably McGann and Tennant, my favourite companion is Freema Agyeman. I wish we could see more of McGann and Agyeman in the series.