VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd just play the GOG.com version. It's missing INSTALL.EXE to change the sound options, so just copy it from your disk version 😀

What MIDI interface are you using?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder why GOG hobble some of the games they sell? I guess leaving the install.exe file in there might cause confusion; they don't want people running it and messing up their pre-configured DOSBOX compatible setup. It's a great service, but I really wish they'd throw in a original disk images too. It's only 6meg or so, what's the harm?

I'm using a Music Quest MPU-401 card which has been great so far, works with everything I've thrown at it (gateway, etc). I also have an original Roland MPU-401 but my 486 won't even post with that in there for some reason. Not sure why, it's worked in other machines.

Anyway I prefer the Music Quest so am happy to keep using it.

I know from previous posts that you have a Music Quest card too - have you tried it with Wing Commander?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried the GOG version and it doesn't work either! Same problem - the MT-32 is initialised, the game starts with all of the correct sounds / music, but about half way through the fireworks (this varies) the game hangs and the MT-32 is just stuck on a single long note with the odd firework sound thrown in.

The Sound Blaster option works fine, so it's definitely something to do with the MT-32. I don't have this problem with any other games - this old hardware can be infuriating!

It's a first gen MT-32 (no headphone jack), Music Quest MPU-401 which does intelligent mode, 486SX-33 (de-turbo'd down to a 386-25's speed), 8mb RAM.

I've tried with EMM386 and without. With different mouse drivers.

Anything else I should try?

Reply 23 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got to lover these retro glitches 😀

I don't think it's the MIDI card. I have a similar issue with Prince of Persia. It will just freeze the computer when using MT-32 for Music and Sound.

Try out Wing Commander 2 (GOG.com version) and see if this causes the same issue. But yea it could be anything and it will be hard to track down.

PS: The Roland card not working is odd.

Try disabling unused resources (serial and parallel ports and other bits). Try another ISA slot, try booting without other ISA cards.

I don't have a MusicQuest. I have to Roland MPU401ATs and one Midiman MM401. The midiman is 99% compatible I would say but does give issues with Gateway.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mystery solved, it's the Music Quest card. I pulled out my trusty 386 and tried Wing Commander (disk version - thanks again Megatron!) with the Roland and it works fine. But with the Music Quest (pictured below), it hangs in the same place. So I guess that means that the Music Quest isn't 100% compatible, what a shame!

IMG_2682.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.